Motorstorm screens

What >I< see without magic googles!:LOL:

OK, >I< see small images which simulates AA even though the HD videos and fullsize frames says otherwise (0-2x AA). The motion blur hides the texture and edge details. Nice cars and bikes with drivers yet the rest is OK. The blooming seems to be excessivly overdone on this screns compared to HD videos.

This is what >I< see on screens and they look same as the HD videos (frame by frame).
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748488/img_3992100.html
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748488/img_4008326.html
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748488/img_4008327.html

Ya I'll give you that, but this game in particular has always looked amazing scaled down, and much more realistic when in full resolution.

And it looks better again in motion. Screenshots don't do this game full justice, so in some ways the smaller shots seem 'fairer' to it, IMO. I think looking at some of the full res screens we've had lately, though, I've no doubt those shots will be amazing in 720p too. IMO the thing that is most striking about them is the lighting (perhaps even more in these than some screens before), which is something fairly independent of the resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with screenshots of Motorstorm is that with the amount of motion blur the game has, the texture detail goes down the drain. Not the teh texture detail is amazing to begin with.

Take any picture of a moving target, with a moving blurry background and you will also see the detail going down the drain, unless you use fast shutter speed but that's besides the point.

The problem with screenshots of Motorstorm is that with the amount of motion blur the game has, the texture detail goes down the drain.

Yeah, I've seen people highlight particular textures as blurry, but then other shots indicate them as being razor sharp (like the logos on the vehicles or whatever) - the blurriness in one shot was simply due to the post-processing. That post-processing isn't particularly kind in screenshots, but it's one of the reasons it looks so good in motion.

Yeah, I've seen people highlight particular textures as blurry, but then other shots indicate them as being razor sharp (like the logos on the vehicles or whatever) - the blurriness in one shot was simply due to the post-processing. That post-processing isn't particularly kind in screenshots, but it's one of the reasons it looks so good in motion.

I have to admit, the textures on vehicles aren't exactly "razor-sharp" from what i've seen, cuite the opposite in fact, giving the whole thing a cartoony look. But maybe that's just me. "Some" textures are very detailed, but most others are quite low-res-low-contrast. Again, from what i've seen.

Game still looks like a blast though.

I have to admit, the textures on vehicles aren't exactly "razor-sharp" from what i've seen, cuite the opposite in fact, giving the whole thing a cartoony look. But maybe that's just me. "Some" textures are very detailed, but most others are quite low-res-low-contrast. Again, from what i've seen.

I'm not saying it's universal, I was thinking specifically of one example with a logo. Where, for example, it looked like this in one picture:

ms1me0.jpg

And like this in another..

ms2gc3.jpg

Due simply to the differences in the post-processing between the shots. The first shot wouldn't give you an accurate indication of the base texture's quality there.

Texture clarity and sharpness is one of the visual aspects of this game that gets mentioned in every review. Yet you don't see it in videos. It is time (in this age of 720-1080 progressive displays) that we stop trying to draw conclusions about texture detail and image quality from pics or vids. The amount of blur in most games invalidates screenshots, and no video is lossless, so we lose many, many pixels in translation in motion. But that's probably a wasted plee on my behalf. PEACE.

In the end though, it's still a major disappointment since it's only 30 fps. I'll reserve judgement til I've played it, but IMO 30 fps is just inexusable, no matter how the game looks because of it.
You either need a 30vs60 FPS references somewhere in your profile, or in your sig. It's, like, your defining trait on here. ;)

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course... --cough--

Yeah, the flags just make me imagine the dev studio:

Lead: "Hey guys, we have a couple of SPEs doing nothing, got any ideas??"

people look at each other scratching their heads..

Dev1: "Mmm i know!! Let's put flags, with really cool cloth physics, and put as many as we can along the track till the framerate goes down!"

Lead: "... but... they're flags..."

Dev1: "yeah but they're cool flags. And red!"

Lead: "oh ok then"

All the elements of motorstorm look very nice, the lighting, models and sense of speed for a mud racer. There's one thing that seems missing, I can't see the mud sprays that are supposed to kick up. Maybe im looking at the wrong videos. Remember Phil Harrisons tech demo with the cyclist doing donuts and spraying mud everywhere? Even the latest pics have most vehicles looking very clean.

Yeah, the flags just make me imagine the dev studio:

Lead: "Hey guys, we have a couple of SPEs doing nothing, got any ideas??"

people look at each other scratching their heads..

Dev1: "Mmm i know!! Let's put flags, with really cool cloth physics, and put as many as we can along the track till the framerate goes down!"

Lead: "... but... they're flags..."

Dev1: "yeah but they're cool flags. And red!"

Lead: "oh ok then"

:LOL: those flags are kind off nice touch

Edit

those flags they look the same as those from HS, no ?

Wouldn't the angle of these shots suggest they are from in game cinematics vs. gameplay? Not to say the improvement is not possible given the history of rapid improvement with this game. (or possibly from a replay mode)

Well, I don't see why it couldn't be any different from the photomode in other games (if it is from the game and not a professional CGI video).

So where are the sandpeople? ;)

Back