400 K ps3 in USA, 100 K ps3 in Japan at launch

Seeing the huge effect BR has had on the PS3 including delays, a $500-600 pricetag, and now shortages, do you guys feel it's worth the trade off, and does anyone still think MS's decision to stick with DVD was a mistake?
Did anyone think MS picking DVD was a mistake in the first place? I thought it was just a different solution, with pros and cons like all solutions...

As for Sony's 1 month delay, is there any news what particular part is responsible? I'm reminded of the HDMI 1.3 chip from SiI that was only reaching bulk production now. Reasoning was that Sony weren't using this chip because then they wouldn't have enough components to reach launch targets. Now that they're missing these targets, does that point to this chip being the holdup? That'd be a lot easier to solve than the blue diode issues and could fit into a massive ramp-up.

Did anyone think MS picking DVD was a mistake in the first place? I thought it was just a different solution, with pros and cons like all solutions...

As for Sony's 1 month delay, is there any news what particular part is responsible? I'm reminded of the HDMI 1.3 chip from SiI that was only reaching bulk production now. Reasoning was that Sony weren't using this chip because then they wouldn't have enough components to reach launch targets. Now that they're missing these targets, does that point to this chip being the holdup? That'd be a lot easier to solve than the blue diode issues and could fit into a massive ramp-up.

BD-lasers.. one month delay.

We now believe that the mass production of the Blu-ray laser diode -- the key component of the PS3 -- will be delayed by around one month,' Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi told a press conference.

I blame Microsoft! If they weren't going to release the xbox360 addon HDDVD player there would more diodes for PS3!!
I think MS has delibrately reserved a massive amount of those diodes just to keep PS3 from releasing.

Hm, how does the shortage of diodes affect the xbox360 HD DVD launch?

I blame Microsoft! If they weren't going to release the xbox360 addon HDDVD player there would more diodes for PS3!!
I think MS has delibrately reserved a massive amount of those diodes just to keep PS3 from releasing.

Hm, how does the shortage of diodes affect the xbox360 HD DVD launch?
From what I understand, it affects it the same way. But given that they were probably only hoping for a couple hundred thousand, the scale of the affect is smaller.

Japan?

Forget DVD vs BD-R, I am actually more interested in how this will play out in Japan, if Nintendo, can in fact produce however many units they want. This opens the door for them in Japan (if there needed to be an open door) as much as it does for MS in the rest of the world.

Microsoft didn't have a choice. They wanted to be cheaper, and they wanted to be first on the market by as big a margin as possible. This was the most important part of their philosophy. HD DVD clearly has the same problem (same diode afaik), so if they had stuck to HD DVD for the 360 (their original plan) they wouldn't have been able to launch last November.

For their respective strategies, both Sony and Microsoft have made the right decisions, I am fairly certain of that. Right now, though, Sony is suffering more for their own strategy, by virtue of blue diode shortages. They took a big chance using a lot of new technologies, and that carries a risk. Microsoft on the other hand suffers from a lot of retailers ignoring next-gen (marketing wise) until this winter, will no doubt suffer from having less space on their discs, and having a console that is more rushed in general (i.e. very hot, external power supply, etc.), suffered from similar problems getting the consoles out there as Sony does now, and will suffer from a lot of first next-gen games that will only make it onto the PS3 in an improved form, potentially putting the latter in a more positive light than it even deserves.

On the other hand, Microsoft will be able to keep their consoles cheaper for the whole time, and with an audience that has considerable buying power (early adopters) makes it attractive for publishers to release their games for both the 360 and PS3.

I'm sure that the Holiday Season in 2007 will give the first clues on how it will all pan out in the end.

For now, we will have to keep a close watch on blue-diode production.

What I'm not getting is how a one month delay on blu ray diodes can cause a six month delay in PAL territories.

I had to share this... :D

bluraydoomed.jpg

Dont forget theres this thing coming out from Nintendo, called Wii. Im sure that will grab more potential buyers in the absence of PS3/low volumes. People keep bringing Microsoft up, theyre not the only guys in the console race guys.

Dont forget theres this thing coming out from Nintendo, called Wii. Im sure that will grab more potential buyers in the absence of PS3/low volumes. People keep bringing Microsoft up, theyre not the only guys in the console race guys.

Wii isn't out yet, and we don't know nothing about it, so there is nothing to compare with. We don't even know whether they'll be ready to launch in Europe for this holiday season, or in what volumes.

Do you honestly think that full question will be answered now instead of in a few years?
I think it's safe to say that launching in Nov of 05 with a blue laser disc was not feasible. I think the question that will be answered in a few years is: was Sony right for launching with a blue laser disc drive?

I think it's safe to say that launching in Nov of 05 with a blue laser disc was not feasible. I think the question that will be answered in a few years is: was Sony right for launching with a blue laser disc drive?

I've tried to answer this question (why Sony are doing this) and others on the other thread, and i'm doing a bloody good job at it too :D

I've tried to answer this question (why Sony are doing this) and others on the other thread, and i'm doing a bloody good job at it too :D
And just to clarify--I wasn't really asking the question, just clarifying what the question really is. The Blu-ray debate is all but exhausting anymore...

Worst launch ever. No need to defend on this. They are blowing up big time here.
It's disappointing but given that the launch hasn't occured yet, I'd hold off on calling it the worst launch (that would still be the Japan launch for the 360, if I may be so bold as to crown it Worst Launch Ever).

Back