Reuters: "High-definition DVD market facing static"

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=NewsArt-C1-ArticlePage3

The troubling part is:

Neither format is selling well or at the level I had expected. I had expected early adopters to step up and other retailers have had the same experience," said Bjorn Dybdahl, president of San Antonio, Texas-based specialty store Bjorn's.

Tho with a standards war, why this is coming as a surprise to anyone is a bit puzzling. A little too much rosy scenario? "Damn those consumers for figuring out we're putting them at risk of spending thousands for what might be glorified doorstops and coasters a little down the road!"

the whole idea that the new formats was going to drive home theatre sales was bogus from the start. I'll get one when the media drops in price too back stuff up. Just not a big enough leap from DVD for the masses - me included

I'll get one when the price drops and they permanently disable the Digital Rights Removal system but not a day before.

I'll get one when the price drops and they permanently disable the Digital Rights Removal system but not a day before.

Never going to happen. The masses simply don't even know what it is or what it means for them. They'll take what's given to them as long as it's cheap and hyped up enough.

Actually the DRM is nothing new. The CSS in the original DVD is a form of DRM. Macrovision is another. No one seems to care much about them, so I really don't think average consumers are going to care about the new DRM schemes more.

CSS and Macrovision didn't limit your rights the way DRM does, nor has it ever required additional/new hardware. That might make the difference for the average consumer.

I put this down to three reasons:

1) Shortage of supply.
2) The smart customer waiting one format or the other to win before buying.
3) The smart customer waiting for a price drop and an HDMI TV set before buying.

Back