Fight Night PS3 Screens

Anyone know what makes this screen look almost photoreal?
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748455/img_3888209.html

There are some obvious details like tendons and veins sticking out, but I'm just wondering how they made it look "fleshy". IMO this surpasses all the Sony tech demos.

Is there subsurface scattering applied to his whole body? I cant tell for sure. I know in SSS they need to account for how certain patches of skin are more flushed due to the blood vessel being closer to the surface.
I guess that the PS3 textures are based on photos whereas the 360 textures are entirely hand painted.

This is a good question with a great answear :

IGN: Are the visual improvements specifically thanks to "The power of PS3" or is it simply because the developers had more time to work on next-gen hardware?

Blank: The answer is both. More time allows us to think about how to do things in different ways. At the same time, the PS3 is a powerful system and there are things we can do on this system that are unique. Each system has its advantages but both systems are really powerful tools that help us to make the great games we want to make.

Last edited by a moderator:

"Each system has its advantages but both systems are really powerful tools"

Each system is unique and really powerful with its advantages, this is what they are saying, just to avoid misunderstanding and to skip power of system A vs power of system B, argument already discussed hundred of times in more deep and tech threads without a winner.

True i agree that both systems are powefull and unique, but the truth is in the pictures and PS3 version looks lot better than xbox 360, how it will play is another matter though. I hope it's as good or better than 360 version.

I've read some nice things about them using the till function which will be awesome for this game. They also added many other things besides the graphic improvement.

this is neogaf V2.... i swear

ps: no hdr?... no, i doesn't have that ridiculous amount of HDR 360 titles usually have that reminds me of living INSIDE THE SUN

It has the right amount because you dont notice at first glance that its there. but it is,
guess where:
ea-sports-fight-night-round-3-20060901065538374.jpg

ps: no hdr?... no, i doesn't have that ridiculous amount of HDR 360 titles usually have that reminds me of living INSIDE THE SUN

It has the right amount because you dont notice at first glance that its there. but it is,
guess where:

do you know the difference between blooming and tone mapping?
hint: "tone mapping" is the key
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_mapping

the boxer have to be darker beacuse of the light in his back, but the tones are always the same
this is blooming, not HDR
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_(shader_effect)

"It can be used without HDR rendering to represent a surface that is being illuminated with an extremely bright light source, and as a result, is often mistaken for a full implementation of HDR Rendering"

Edit: don't know exactly what fit the "i doesn't have that ridiculous amount of HDR 360 titles usually have that reminds me of living INSIDE THE SUN", are trying to troll?
I hope not.

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts exactly

a lot of person mistakes blooming via shader with a full hdr rendering, blooming is a minimal part of hdr
in simple words Hdr simulate the defect of our eyes that are capable to see a limited range of colors depending on the quantity of light in this moment.
that why the same color appear brighter to you, if you came from a dark place, and the same color appear to you darker if there's a lot of light near it
you can calculate the tones in different form (standard FP in RGB space, using intenger or with the very interesting nAo32), the use of hdr is of course more evident in motion considering it's a dynamic effect, but what I see from the pics of the game seems that don't matter how many light there's around the boxer, the tones remains the same

there's no reason to get angry about this, maybe in the final build of the game there will be the hdr, but from what I see in this shots, at the moment there's only blooming

to explain what's fulll hdr/ tone mapping, see this video from minute 1:50
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OpmvOJRpi1U&mode=related&search=

Hope this helps.

guess where:
ea-sports-fight-night-round-3-20060901065538374.jpg

360:

930863_20060117_screen006.jpg

I agree the Fight Night PS3 lighting is so much more natural and realistic.
In fact the game looks superior in every way - better textures, more geometry, better lighting.

I'm sure a lot of this has to do with the added dev time.
I'm surprised that EA bothered to do anything beyond a straight port.

I'm impressed, looks much more like an improved version of the "Silver Bullet" E3 2005 demo. Just can't point to a single thing that stands out but it just looks better than it's 360 counterpart too. It just does, no point arguing it, the reasons for it could be any number of things.

Let's hope it animates just as well as the E3 demo because FN3 on the 360 does not have the same fluidity. Yes I know one was essentially scripted and the real game is going to be more jerky but the actual games does not look fluid even in the sequences when they show the slowed down close up of a great punch.

Might pick this up at launch if I fail to sell my second PS3. Gameplay with Dual Shake could be good, shame about the rumble - sorely missed for this title IMO.

look at the tatoo on the guy's arm in both shots. And the flag in the background just looks real.

It seems that HDR is overhyped. The lighhting in the PS3 version is more suble and natural.

I do not get it?

The difference between the two is marginal AT BEST, and yet people here are talking like it's a night and day difference. The only visual improvement I can see is the sweat, which looks great, adding an extra layer to realistic atmosphere the 360 version established. Textures look identical (the tattoo on his arm looks the same to me) and their does not seem to be any improvement on the character models. Other than toning down the HDR "glow" on the characters and adding sweat I do not really see what the big difference is!

I do not get it?

The difference between the two is marginal AT BEST, and yet people here are talking like it's a night and day difference. The only visual improvement I can see is the sweat, which looks great, adding an extra layer to realistic atmosphere the 360 version established. Textures look identical (the tattoo on his arm looks the same to me) and their doesn't seem to be any improvement on the character models. Other than toning down the HDR "glow" on the characters and adding sweat I don't really see what the big difference is!
You damn right. I've been following the whole thread thinking "what the hell, I must have missed something cause it looks nearly indentical to the 360 version"

Some people see a big difference. Fine. I don't, but that doesn't make my opinion superior. What I do not understand is getting excited about FNR3 PS3 for anything other than the first person boxing (which is basically unreferenced in this thread). Surely that is the biggest reason to get the PS3 version of the game.

It is a great answer. It's a shame you selectively bolded part of it to make it say something else than it did. Each system has its advantages, and I expect FNR4 to be fundamentally identical between the two platforms because of that.

I think the biggest surprise is that it looks better at all considering for months people have been trying to convince us that the 360 GPU is superior to RSX.

Hair

360:

930863_20060117_screen006.jpg

I agree the Fight Night PS3 lighting is so much more natural and realistic.
In fact the game looks superior in every way - better textures, more geometry, better lighting.

I'm sure a lot of this has to do with the added dev time.
I'm surprised that EA bothered to do anything beyond a straight port.

I agree my friend but two things I wonder which is why PS3 character hair is like "wig" and has no transparency border on face like 360 hair in picture shown and also is PS3 picture real time.

Back