Building our own 3D engine

Not sure if that makes any more sense than the original post - ho, hum.

Yep, it does. Now I got the picture. Sounds good!

Maybe somebody (yeah, project leader, where are you :)) could make some diagrams/ figures describing the whole architecture so far. This is probably quite useful. Then we can all work on it till we (or the leaders :)) fix the concept and the real :) work starts...

A specification about how to store the meshes including materials and other scene data like lightsources and also animations, effects etc. in the xml format has to be done as well.

Also: what we need then is some importer/exporter to get the meshes from a modelling tool's format into ours (I remember Blender was mentioned to model stuff, right?).

I'm here, but I'm severely hampered by the flu, reducing my capacities to little more than rambling incoherently about console games ... :S

However, I did start a concept project with some ideas. There's a lot of work to be done, and I'm thankful for the input. I've already started thinking about an xml format resource descriptor including mesh data that's not too hard to read for a Renderer, but since my 3D experience is severely limited, I'll not go into too much detail and post it here shortly.

Also, I've been thinking about how the different modules should communicate. My idea now is to write a message queue in xml, which has the messages in a predetermined order to enhance parsing efficiency, and communication happening over a single channel/function so that we can change the technics behind the communication easily without having to change much else.

This will be simple string xml, and therefore communication should be possible in some form or other between any kind of object that can receive strings, directly, or even via a basic file format.

Also, I'm thinking more about the basic way the MAO stores UIO structure data, and who is in charge of maintenance there, how much the UIO needs to know, and if we can make UIO's that only require a single object to deal with all its instances, and if that's actually a good thing, and if we need multithreading, and and and ..

Did I mention I have the flu? *cough*

...tumbleweed...

Well I can't help it, it won't pass and now I'm onto anti-biotics ... very tired all the time. I managed to get exactly two lines of code done today ...

Hopefully I will start feeling better soon. Of course other people could work on this project too in the meantime :D Some nice art maybe. ;)

I did think about using threads today. I'm not so experienced with threading, but thought that maybe the renderer and the user interface objects could run in threads that are managed by the Main Application Object. I don't know enough about it, but I'd like to read about it, maybe tomorrow.

Back