PS3 (Euro?) Slogan revealed

pipo

Veteran
With thanks to Sega's great box...

The official slogan for PlayStation 3 in Europe: "This is Living".

The seductive, ludicrously shiny black casing of PS3, marked with the iconic lettering of the PS3 logo, disintegrates into a thousand pieces before re-forming into a bold, bubbly font spelling the words This is Living, a logo in itself which beats like a heart twice 'up-close' and then twice 'distant' (repeat)...

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200608/143.asp

Not such a fan on first viewing (it's ok.. but I dislike the 'This Is Living' font - it looks a bit twee to me, and it wouldn't be out of place on a poster advertising 'The Sound Of Music'.. or a chocolate bar).. although I suspect I'd need to see more of the campaign to get an idea of how it fits in with the overall pitch of the machine.

Cheers,
Dean

hmmmm not nearly as good as "Live in your world.... Play in ours" which I thought was genius...

this one is lame IMO... especially the font... yuck

Not such a fan on first viewing (it's ok.. but I dislike the 'This Is Living' font - it looks a bit twee to me, and it wouldn't be out of place on a poster advertising 'The Sound Of Music'.. or a chocolate bar)..
Yeah. Very out of place I think. Unless Sony are going for a very sophisticated irony and will be parodying advertising styles throughout the ages, I dare say their advertising bots have fumbled this time. If they want to present a more 'homely,' accessible image, the rest of the advert doesn't fit.

I think they're intentionally trying to be quirky which is pretty typical of Playstation marketing, particularly in Europe, but I also think it lends a more friendlier, more familiar feel to the message as compared to the more serious light PS3 has been cast in to date. I do like the slogan.

It'll be quite interesting to see the type of ads this accompanies.

I really don't know what to think of this, I need to hear the soundtrack attached.
There was some noise on the background, but it was too muted and messy.

Without sound, it makes not much impression, as few advertisements do.

Visually, it's not that exciting, so the soundtrack must be an integral part of the campaign.

It's different at least...

About the catchphrase itself... I kinda like it. It's a bit of a play with words, and not something predictable and old like.... "Game ON!", "Come Inside!!" or "Pump UP!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like this slogan. it doesn't seem to have any connection to gaming.
I don't think it's supposed to! If you want to pitch PS3 as 'not just a console' then you don't want to limit your slogans and ads to gaming. 'This is living' is all encompassing.

The slogan and its font kinda reminds me of some post-war/depression era thingy, where some luxurious gizmo is hailed by the whole family as upgrade in standard of living ... like the first TV or something

The slogan and its font kinda reminds me of some post-war/depression era thingy, where some luxurious gizmo is hailed by the whole family as upgrade in standard of living ... like the first TV or something

yeah yeah, it has this "american way of life" to it. Like living large or something.

brainstorming in progress :p

... Strange...

I'm not sure what to think, it's not that i really hate the Sound of Music font at the end... It's just that after the whole super-cool graphics at the beginning, it looks a bit out of place.

If Sony's marketing team is the same it's ever been, i have full faith in what they'll come up with. And i also have full faith that just from a silly teaser, hundreds of silly kids will believe they're "doomed", much like when Sony came out with those absolutely bonkers adverts for PS2, and PS1 before it which no one really understood. Needless to say, without their marketing team, Sony would definitely not have been so dominant in the last 11 years, whatever people think about one or two silly adverts.

A bit off-topic. but imo, the price for the most awful and failed ad campaign would go to the xbox campaign with the flying baby - old man - grave, and the slogan "Life Is Short" or something like that.
That was depressing! The visuals was cool, but the message was sooo wrong.
Also, the print ads with pubic hair on a bar of soap didn't help much.

Edit: Anyone got a link to the "This Is Living" ad with better sound so I could hear the "jingle" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
That one got removed in the UK. It was manky, and 'MTV generation only' with no appeal outside of that core market.

A bit off-topic. but imo, the price for the most awful and failed ad campaign would go to the xbox campaign with the flying baby - old man - grave, and the slogan "Life Is Short" or something like that.
That was depressing! The visuals was cool, but the message was sooo wrong.
Also, the print ads with pubic hair on a bar of soap didn't help much.

lol i remember....

life is short, so, no way im gonna spend it playing games lol, but it was well made (disregarding the message)

Back