Resitance Fall Of Man First Look Article + Gameplay Video

There are much better in-game r-fom shots then the one(s) that scoob posted in post 137 BY FAR--- The up close in-game shots of the aliens look incredible in the newer builds of r-fom--sure there are areas in some places that look washed out,but that certainly goes for a number of areas in gow also--- me personally,i think rfom looks better in motion then gow

me personally,i think rfom looks better in motion then gow

I have to agree. In what I've seen so far, the effects in GoW are nice but extremely short. Every bit of dynamic smoke, blood, or whatever, is gone in an instant, and very little is happening in the environment other than the occasional set-piece, and a few monsters running around. The few types of enemies and protagonists we've seen are imposing, and I like the sense of weight that they give (sometimes the bad guys remind me of Syndicate).

Some of the environments are gorgeous, but the same textures are often used for very large parts of the scenery, and don't always seem to be very high-quality either. In FoM I see a *lot* of different textures, and I really like details such as the huge and different posters on the side of walls. I'm willing to bet that kind of thing really adds to the 12+Gb of level data they have in the 40+ areas.

But we'll see. I also agree that we best wait until both products are on the shelves to see how they finally stick up to each other.

In FoM I see a *lot* of different textures, and I really like details such as the huge and different posters on the side of walls. I'm willing to bet that kind of thing really adds to the 12+Gb

I really hope those storage benefits start showing up sooner rather than later so the argument can be put to rest. I didn't care for the long time I was on the fence about it, but now that I've made camp in the "bigger than DVD" side of the debate I've got my pride on the line. I hope I'm right and I hope we find out soon. Resistance as a launch game seems to be a good early sign.

I still don't understand why, to knock Resistance's graphics, people still refer to GoW. They are different in so any ways, comparing 'static pictures' is pointless.

I mean GoW is based on UE3, which would be quite easily accomplished on PS3 anyway (as R:FoM would be on X360).

They are both great looking games, that differ visually, and gameplay wise.

GoW seems like a more 'intimate' type of combat game, less enemies on screen, less action on screen. Higher detailed models. R:FoM seems like a much faster paced, higher number of enemies/NPC's and more action going on FPS, with high detailed models.

I still don't understand why, to knock Resistance's graphics, people still refer to GoW. They are different in so any ways, comparing 'static pictures' is pointless.

I mean GoW is based on UE3, which would be quite easily accomplished on PS3 anyway (as R:FoM would be on X360).

They are both great looking games, that differ visually, and gameplay wise.

GoW seems like a more 'intimate' type of combat game, less enemies on screen, less action on screen. Higher detailed models. R:FoM seems like a much faster paced, higher number of enemies/NPC's and more action going on FPS, with high detailed models.

I simply used the two games that IMO are the best graphically we have currently seen (Heavenly Sword and GOW) and saying that Resistance just falls short of reaching that level.

But that's just your opinion Scooby, many of us don't share that view. I think Gear Of War is over hyped, and after watching the E3 demo played by Cliffe i think it looks good as Resistance, albeit at slower frame rate.

I just don't get why people mention xbox 360 games in PS3 threads and vise versa.

And it seems to be mainly forum hype, not the press, I've seen very few gaming publications that have lauded this game for it's GFX.

Well its not like they are saying the graphics are bad...

IGN said:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/706/706054p1.html
After the initial demonstration given by Ted Price during the E3 press conference, I had the chance to get up close and personal with Fall of Man to see what made it tick. Once I grabbed the controller, the first thing that sprung to mind was "Man, this game looks pretty damn good..." and it does.

Gamespot said:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/insomniacshooter/news.html?sid=6156671&page=3

Though what we played was early and rough in some spots, there's an impressive level of detail on display.

1up said:
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3150553&did=1

The visuals are quite good, with a real life Great Britain (albeit destroyed) serving as the backdrop. There's plenty of detail in the environments as well as great effects like volumetric smoke from grenades

But.. I think the majority of people who are praising the game are giving it props for more than just graphics, but actual gameplay, 'immersiveness', and value. As others have said, its your opinion, and others have theirs.

But.. I think the majority of people who are praising the game are giving it props for more than just graphics, but actual gameplay, 'immersiveness', and value. As others have said, its your opinion, and others have theirs.

I'm just looking at overall technical merit. I have a feeling that many others are looking at Art direction and specifically prefer environments that are bathed in Sun, and are awash with nice and brightly coloured effects. :D

Seriously though, the screenshots that people pick that impress them with a certain game can be very telling. They are more about the tasteful use of lighting than anything else. I think therefore that a lot of people might for instance like the section of FoM I saw in one of the later gameplay videos in the Church, where sunlight is falling into the church and a large, furry alien/hog hybrid walks into that sunlight and is lit-up nicely.

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to comparing the final versions of these games.

Also, all this talk about graphics gets me interested more and more. This weekend I was out in Maastricht (beautiful city where I live part-time), and the sun was out bright, creating very nice HDR effects ... :LOL: I'll be interested sometime in understanding better (i.e. more hands-on) how HDR helps create that effect in 3D graphics in more detail (I get the basics I think, increasing the steps of definition for the bright and dark parts so you can show more detail and more gradations of lighting in those two narrow bands near the opposite extremes of the luminance spectrum ... I think)

Well its not like they are saying the graphics are bad....

I never said they were bad either, and those quotes really illustrate my point. Those are very retsrained praises. The press talks about this as a quit average game, yet people on the forums talk about it as if it matches up with the cream of the crop graphically. There's a disconnect there...

I never said they were bad either, and those quotes really illustrate my point. Those are very retsrained praises. The press talks about this as a quit average game, yet people on the forums talk about it as if it matches up with the cream of the crop graphically. There's a disconnect there...

"Man, this game looks pretty damn good..."
doesnt really sound restrained to me. :LOL:

I havent seen any gaming website say that resistance is average either. Hell, some sites are saying its better than other big sellers like halo and cod2 after playtesting it.

It's just an opinion, if they think the game looks as good as other great titles then more power to them. As Arwin said its most likely opinions of artistic direction than technical superiority. I think resistance looks amazing, but I wont go as far as saying it technically looks better than gears of war or HS. Not everyone will always understand the opinions of others. ;)

There's a disconnect there...

Honestly I think the disconnect is that we're paying attention to each other and what's good.

Print press is paying attention to god knows what.

Print and web media kind of steered me away from resistance and towards Motorstorm renders (oh the shame. I'm worthless...). Meanwhile here's the real killer app quietly shaping up under my nose. Now taht the buzz is picking up in the forums and I can take an objective look at it, plus exchange ideas with others about what we are looking forward too, the game is lookking better to me.

And as far as comparisons, I think it's a fair comparison to Gears. They aren't THAT different. They are both going for that ruined, gritty, sci-fhgkkasdfcvvvvvvvvvdsadf... KL@mHD!! Oh, sorry. I think I dozed off there.

Kind of a side note, but it seems this is not even the best we have seen of the game...heres a copy and paste from a 1up staff member from gaf...

I will say that Insomniac let us play A LOT more of the game than we were able to show... they gave us very little footage. but there's some crazy stuff in there. one of the stages was giant and open-ended -- visually, the environments looked like a cross between halo and shadow of the colossus. and you roll around in a jeep with an allied squad taking out various encampments... totally halo style. and some of the other stages are much more visually impressive than those in the footage they gave us.

and they didn't give us any footage of the standard 40 person multiplayer... and it's pretty excellent. also, you can't really get a feel for how awesome the weapons are from that footage. wait until you see the rocket launcher that allows you to stop your rockets in midair (with a secondary fire that shoots tiny rockets out of the main rocket... and they can also be stopped and started again in midair...) or the crazy goo gun.

anyway, i know some people are totally excited by the footage in the show today, and that's cool. when i received the footage from sony, i was disappointed, because what we ACTUALLY saw and played was so much cooler.

so take that for what it's worth.
asked by another forum member..
So that wasn't even the best footage of the game? My level of interest is rising
1up staff member response...
Not even close to close....
:)

Great selection of screens there Zed, how long did it take you to create that ridiculously skewed comparison? :rolleyes:

There's a thread right on the first page of this forum with full res GOW pics you could easily have linked too, any reason you ignored those and sought out downscaled, blurry, compressed pictures instead?

This:
http://www.enregistrersous.com/images/0933fd9348b44be8125bbff142866080.jpg

is far more impressive than this:
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/729/729872/resistance-fall-of-man-20060831055651209.jpg

graphically those are very similar, qa polygon count / textures / lighting, the main difference is the fallofman game is much more expansive, gears of war seems to be more of a corridor crawl, with the occasional small courtyard thrown in.
pointless discussing this with u scobby dobby, youre just upset that the game youve hyped up for ages 'GOW' is surpassed by a ps3 lanch title, oh well cant win em all, theres still halo3.

edit - yeah they seem to be holding heaps back with fallofman, ive seen like what? 3 different aliens in it. heres hoping they show more at tokyo

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of a side note, but it seems this is not even the best we have seen of the game...heres a copy and paste from a 1up staff member from gaf...

asked by another forum member..

1up staff member response...

:)

Looks like they are definitely saving the big guns for TGS.

One simply question. Is it posible for sony to have a USA event prior to the ps3 launch, where the press could play launch titles in their near final builds? It would be fair for the US press, considering that Japan will have that honor in a couple of weeks.

Looks like they are definitely saving the big guns for TGS.

One simply question. Is it posible for sony to have a USA event prior to the ps3 launch, where the press could play launch titles in their near final builds? It would be fair for the US press, considering that Japan will have that honor in a couple of weeks.

Besides this year's e3, I don't recall of any public ps3 event in north america. I wouldnt be surprised to see the ps3 kiosks show up before launch tough, so keep a look out at your local gamestores.

Jeeps!

I've heard a lot of good unofficial prses on this game. Especially from 1UP and EGM staffers. But I think they are now allowed to officially talk much about it yet because of some sort of embargo.

Back