Resitance Fall Of Man First Look Article + Gameplay Video

The same reason you are in COD2 ...Halo health system...
In COD2 you do that you will get mowed down. It's nice that sometimes you can figure I can god mode through to those two people but you don't go face to face to a bunch of soldiers and expect an easy time.

Game demos are usually run on easy or some other setting that makes it useless to gauge AI strength. I think it came about when years back mag previews were slamming a lot of games for being too difficult. So devs started leaving games on easy so ******s wouldn't get their panties in a bunch b/c they couldn't progress in a demo. Just my opinion based on what I've read in the past. PEACE.

It's lookin friggen awesome though..graphically..nobody else noticed that?

I'd say in it's own way it's almost rivaling Gears..

btw, the GS article call Resistance the most anticipated PS3 launch title..if that's so, I think
the FPS takeover of consoles (started by Halo, I'd argue) is nearly complete. I dont recall a ton of high profile FPS on PS2, but now with the graphical horsepower of PS3, it looks they will go toe to toe with FPS's.
________
LollyDolly

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah definately, theres some definately polishing going into this game. I liked the fire a lot, but my video was kinda bad. The action seems so much more intense than COD2 or HL2 (the games people compare it to oddly enough).

It's lookin friggen awesome though..graphically..nobody else noticed that?
I'd say in it's own way it's almost rivaling Gears..

GOW seems belong to other league graphically speaking, from the video ResistenceFOM looks similar to COD2 in some moment (envirorment, overall look), to HL2 in other (spiders that jumps to the player)

It's looks very much like they turned on invincibility mode as they do quite often in demos.

If you actually read the article, it doesn't only look that way. ;) It actually mentions that the GS crew were shown custom demo areas where they test the weapons' balancing.

Textures look nice, graphics look good but I expected somewhat more. I also think it isn't the best idea to show your game with the GOD mode on.. That night level looked very good and I would have loved to see more of that cave level. (and then they show you like a few seconds of that footage lol)

I'll wait for them to give me some 'proper' singleplayer gameplay footage.

EDIT: after seeing the HD video I'm quit a bit more excited about this game (again) Still the gameplay isn't telling me much.

I can believe the "God/Easy mode for demo" story. The last Gears of War gameplay walkthrough (by CliffyB) also looks easy. The enemies were rather "polite" when the hero closed in on them (So he could demo the chainsaw).

I'm generally not too hot on FPS. By preference, Resistance is one of the least interesting PS3 titles to me. Yeah... I know FPS can draw the players in very quickly once they pick up the controllers. The weapon designs will likely create many entertaining and chaotic death moments in multiplayer. Some of the areas look deep and immersive too, but there are other impressive FPSs to compare to. Will have to see this how the story and gameplay unfolds in person to appreciate.

Gears of War is 3rd persion view, so we get a commanding view of the entire scene, but slower paced. I like their color palette. I can also hear the background music and effects better in the demo. So It gives off a more cinematic vibe to me. I'm not sure about playability and replayability yet.

Graphics look pretty bleh to me. Not even H-L2 standard.

[edit]Actually, I'm gonna take that back. In motion there's a lot more stuff that you can't see see in the screenshots, or it's a new built, or something. Better bumpmapping and specular highlights on the walls and stuff.

Lighting still seems pre-baked though

It seems like shadows are almost nonexistent in this game. Bleh.

old e3 shot
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/709/709892/resistance-fall-of-man-20060523095907600.jpg

I think it really depends on the scene. Most scenes have ambient lighting so shadows are less noticable, and others that have directional lighting will have the very noticable shadows.

Of course its no self shadowing or doom3 type stuff, but I don't think its anything to complain about.

Back