First Saint's Row Review

I'm sure the folks at Wendy's will be thrilled to know that there is a restaurant in the game called "Freckle Bitch."

:LOL:

only payed the demo so far but the machanics of shooting are by far, better than any GTA game to date... is it perfect technically? far from it but it still looks pretty good for what it does.

[maven];819617 said:
Can I have some of your mushrooms? There is plenty of tearing and a unstable frame-rate in this... :rolleyes:
Is this comment based on playing the released game or the demo?

Is this comment based on playing the released game or the demo?
It is based on reviews of the release version.

That is not to say that the graphics or game itself are bad, it's just that whoever is expecting no tearing is in for a surprise.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tearing is horrible, pretty much anytime you look left or right the screen tears. Doesn't seem much better than the demo to me.

Saints Row demo was unplayable for me due to huge amounts of tearing on my hdtv. If the released game is the same, I won't even consider buying it.
I got a console to play "worry-free" games. If they're not, I should just get back on playing pc games and worrying about the next hardware upgrades.
Prey was like that too, tearing & framerate drops -> No buy.

It may be ineffective but it's the only kind of pressure they'll understand.

[maven];819959 said:
It is based on reviews of the release version.

That is not to say that the graphics or game itself are bad, it's just that whoever is expecting no tearing is in for a surprise.
Yeah, I've heard the tearing is still there, but I thought others were saying the framerate was better. The demo had fairly poor framerate and bad tearing, though to be honest the most annoying thing was the pop-in.

The final version got a much better framerate (actually keeps itself around 25-30ish until you start getting like 10-20 gang members chasing you and shooting at you.

Wanna know how they fixed the framerate? Instead of the 4x AA that was in the demo, we now got 2x aa.

This is a great game, just like GTA but alot funner across the board.

The hitman missions are pretty cool, basicalyl you get a list of guys and their general location, but they don't show up on Radar until you're about a block away, making you hunt them down.

I completed the first set of hits, and got a Platinum SMG which respawns at my house with around 400 bullets. Just started on the second list, but the last guy, has location 'Unknown" which means he can be anywhere in the entire city! This is gonna be tough...

Update coming up.

* Enabled 4xAA (anti-aliasing) for 480i standard-def and 480p resolutions (was 2xAA).
* Enabled 4x anti-aliasing during initial player creation screen.
* Added player options to enable v-sync during cutscenes and/or gameplay, with warning that it will affect framerate.
* Fixed widescreen formatting issues in certain resolutions.
* Fixed issue where button icons would sometimes not appear during tagging activity.
* Fixed problem where camera could rapidly rotate around player when exiting vehicle.
* Added dialog reminding player to save before final mission in the game.
* Fixed rare crash bugs due to variants and fast shader constants.
* DLC - Car dealership now skips paint selection for car if the car has no color data.
* Fixed issue when signing out of a gamer profile on The Wheel Woman unlock screen.
* Added missing audio tracks to music stores, including “Pickin’ Boogers.â€￾
* Added long sideburns and four other missing hairstyles to Shear Intensity salons.

whoa. First game to let users choose V-sync? I have now gone....Beyond Three Dimensions.

Nice of them to re-enable higher AA for the majority of folks' TVs. :)

By "with warning that it will affect framerate" I take it they mean they are doing vsync without triple buffering. Oh well, seems one should be able to turn the console down to 480p and enable vsync to get fairly smooth framerate, though it seems a bit screwy to have to do such things in this supposeed 'era of HD'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides, so much for "making the X360 a real console and not a glorified PC" kind of politics MS uses.. Not KB and mouse support to try to make the X360 a real console and not a PC (whatever that means), then accept this kind of options which just scream PC.

Oh how i miss the old days when you get what everyone else gets, where slowdown or pop-up would occur in the same place at the same time for everyone from Japan to Brazil...

Besides, so much for "making the X360 a real console and not a glorified PC" kind of politics MS uses.. Not KB and mouse support to try to make the X360 a real console and not a PC (whatever that means), then accept this kind of options which just scream PC.

FWIW - It's no MGS title. :p

Thank God for this update,esp. the v-sync option.The frame rate only drops really slightly when you are in a car(i didn't notice any drop when walking/running) and it is definately worth it since it doesn't affect the gameplay and the game looks fantastic with V-sync enabled.

Back