First Saint's Row Review

I'm definitely intrigued.

I guess they just don't do the average and say what they think it is compared to other games.

WOW

interesting ...GTA who? ;)

and yes... the final review score is never an average and I believe it states as much at the bottom

Edit: woops I was thinking of IGN reviews wrt the average

Last edited by a moderator:
Gamepro gave it a 95%, Gametrailers gave it around a 80-85%(can't remember which) before they took the review down.

This game is for real, should probably become quite the hit.

Averaging 89% at gamerankings

GamePro
8/26/2006
4.75 out of 5
95.0%

Official Xbox Magazine
10/1/2006
8 out of 10
80.0%

Game Informer
9/1/2006
8.75 out of 10
87.5%

Video Game Talk
8/28/2006
4.5 out of 5
90.0%

Club Skill
8/27/2006
9.6 out of 10
96.0%

MS Xbox World
8/28/2006
9 out of 10
90.0%

Frag Land
8/25/2006
90 out of 100
90.0%

Official Xbox Magazine UK
9/1/2006
8 out of 10
80.0%

Play Magazine
9/1/2006
9 out of 10
90.0%

Gameinformer gives it a 88%, that's really all I need to know.

I loved the demo I am glad the reviews are not holding it is a gta clone against the game. IMO saints row is better than any gta console game. The gun play in saints row is leagues better than any console gta. The pc version of gta does have awesome gun play I will admit. I also like the reactions of the characters in the game. When you start shooting some people run some duck for cover others cower in fear praying to live. The developer did a great job for a first attempt at this type of game. Great few weeks for the 360 with this and dead rising.

IGN REVIEW 8.5

Closing Comments
Volition's Saints Row is an impressive game --in most respects. The core missions, side missions, the controls and flow of the game, the graphics and sound, they're all solid and smartly designed. This game feels and plays better than most, if not all, of the other GTA clones.

But is it better than Rockstar's benchmark? On the whole -- Not a chance. But in very specific areas? Yes, absolutely. Saints Row is a study in how to copy a model in order to improve upon it, and Volition should get full credit for taking one of the hardest games to replicate, copying it right down to the character font, and improving upon it. Does it feel like a rip-off? Yeah. Is the harsh and often overly crude humor a step down from GTA's? Yeah. Does Volition's brash desire to show off hip-hop culture feel crass and painful? Oh yeah.

But Saints Row, despite its distinct lack of originality, is fun. It starts out fun and it stays fun. It gets deeper and more engaging, and the storyline and the characters come to life, and you're compelled by seeing the narrative unfold just as much as getting all of the 10- and 20-point Achievements. Saints Row offers a kick-ass online mode with at least two out of four compelling online modes totally worth your while. Hate it if you want to, snicker at its obvious me-too qualities, but don't forget to recognize impressive, kick-ass gameplay as you walk out the door.

G*d dang it...

I just picked up this game from Fry's (second to last copy there) during work. However, I won't get a chance to play it tonight, as I have a party to attend. Games like these, make me want to be anti-social...

I'm sure the folks at Wendy's will be thrilled to know that there is a restaurant in the game called "Freckle Bitch."

I was surprised to see the graphics receive a 7, seems a bit low when you consider the size and scope of the environment. The game has good textures, excellent lighting and character models all running at a solid 30 fps. The only complaints I have against the game are the occasional popup and screen tearing.

Kindof a good thing though. Devs need to know that Vsynch is important.

Played the single player for a few hours and would give it about an 8.0 at this point. I attempted to play co-op and other multiplayer options but MP is a mess right now. Cant connect to friends and cant make gangs etc. I hope this doesnt become a beta tester area like the PC.

Although the single player is fine except for a few glitches this is unacceptable IMO to have these problems. Rumors are that these current online issues have been there even before launch and not corrected. I'm not very happy and no playing the single player game until a patch comes along isnt the answer. They wanted to raise the price of games to $60 they should be held accountable for this.

Sorry all just venting but I really hope this doesnt become common place in the console area. We have to start speaking up or we will continue to see this.

Back