Beyond3D game

Ok. How about this:

When you start the game, you select what kind of hero/heroine you want to play (or a party for single user play, if you want to):
- User (no specialization, can do a bit of everything, give them a gun)
- Power user (large scale destruction, armor, big guns and explosives, give them a shotgun)
- Role player (AD&D, fighter/mage/thief, sword, lockpick and spells like magic missile)
- Helpdesk worker (fixing, healing, saving and loading, can teleport by phone or terminal, give them a limited-use cell phone)
- Hacker (stealth, summoning and using devices, give them a laptop or handheld with all the info)

You get pulled through a tunnel and sucked inside some computer. And you end up in the CPU, at the bar. With all the others. With some money.

[scene]You're standing on the map of a CPU, with some simple and badly-animated robots running around. Lights move all through the walls, floor and ceiling, while you sometimes see and hear some shorts. A happy and simple music is playing. You can order stuff with the barkeeper, but he requires quests for the good stuff. And you can talk to all the other guests.[/scene]

After a while, the power goes down and everything becomes black. And a holo appears of Rys: "BEHOLD, MORTALS! THE NEXT ONE TO TRESPASS ON HOLY GPU TERRITORY IS DISINTEGRATED. AND WITH THE NEXT DENIAL OF SERVICES OR BLACKOUT, ENTITIES ARE BEING DELETED AS A REPRECUSSION. FEAR MY WRATH!"

Well, after that and some explanations, all the adventurers get some basic gear and start their long and dangerous journey towards the Holy GPU, all the while encountering lethal puzzles, parts of other games and creatures from those, and with all the mods as mini-bosses, who can order their minions around. And it would be best, if any hero would be able to complete the game by themselves.

:D

Mods, would you all tell us how you would like to appear? So we can fit you guys in. And some voice acting would be very much appreciated. ;)

Or, we could do it the DeusEx/System Shock way: you can enhance yourself in a limited amount of ways. Only one (kind of) player for single player mode.

Maybe this game could be the first true 3D forum.

Ingenu has some engine almost ready.
Humus could do something too.

I can do test with legacy hardware (my old PC) ;)

Nice to see someone taking this iniative, although I'm afraid I don't share your optimism.

I can code weapons, help balance gameplay and such, but you'll have to come up with a lot more solid design before I sign up.

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Got it right on the first try, nice one Moofy!

Well, I don't know. There's so many of us, we could probably do two or three small games.

Also, what about doing a demo? You know www.scene.org style demos. Not 64KB mind you, but the less then 20MB compressed standard. We could even submit it to one of the compos and win a prize.

Anyways, I can do C++, template metaprogramming and all, and I can do graphics coding. I've never done a full engine before, but I know I can help. I can also do crappy concept art.

As for the nature of the game, if we are to do it, I suggest something like the battle against the B3D Console trolls or something. You know, like a hacker detective/puzzle/war thing, but more in depth like Serial Experiments: Lain. In it you would actually surf an in game version of the forums and site, looking for clues like you do with those viral marketing campaigns, but as you got futher into it, it became more real. Like in Lain, the computer/internet starts to interact with your mind, and you get sucked into the bizarre B3D world, blurring between the game "reality" and the forums. Then the evil trolls/hackers are conspiring against the forum/you, and you have to stop them. Perhaps you can hack the B3D website to give yourself mod status, so you can delete their foolish posts and ban them. Then it will end up in a battle of wills in the psudo-alternate reality, where things are just crazy. Yes, a total rip off of Lain but in a B3D context, and just as mind-bending.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level design here.

It's my passion..I often get so caught up in adding a plethora of detail to my maps that I end up surpassing the size limit and crashing Build. (oh yes, I speak of the Duke!). :smile:

i, for one, am excited about having a good level designer, Sobek! >:D they're my Most Important Element.

Given our amorphous wishes, the near-infinite time allotted, and a potential lack of resources, I think one thing I've always wanted to do would be a good start -- we have the makings of a... game... here... i recommend we immediately plug them into ANY 3d engine and get things going in a sort of "Ok you're a blob. if you move toward that blob, you get more health, if you move toward that blob, you have to click or it will kill you" wort of way. This could reveal interesting gameplay fundamentals, but more importantly, gives us a working environment in which to start adding models, AFTER we get an idea of how we want the game to feel, and such.

Personally, I'd be happy with a bar room simulator, or a forum simulator, or a hacking simulator or no simulator at all, and any of it in ASCII. I feel firmly that it's the dialogues that will take place between characters, or the way in which the user interacts with the game that will make it memorable.

However, maybe I'm being too weird here. back to mor concrete things:

-- I like the point-assignation RPGs. You devote so many points to healing and boom, you're a Medic. if we want, for balance, later to decide that it costs so many points to be a medic that a medic can't also use stealth, that's fine. :) i just find that point-assignation systems improve replayability.

-- I like the idea of RYS, the spooky tyrant who holds dominion over Rysgard. ;) However, I think his argument should be that he will smite the next man to make any sort of texture filtering optimizations on his GPU. Then our job, as a driver team member for one of the (unnamed) IHVs, is to sneak our men onto his GPU die, implement the optimizations, and escape before his search & destroy ICE catches up with us. ;) We could play red team or green team! :D we could even throw in a blue team for a certain other couple of now-failed brands...

-- since it's a game about GPUs and games, by extension, it really provides us plenty of opportunities for minigames, at any point we should choose (assuming now that we'll have excess man-hours to contribute to this seems optimistic indeed)! also, it means that every new area can have a completely new and random art design to it. i think it has a LOT of potential. ICE can look like anything, and each one can look completely different. plenty of ICE can really only have one power, too -- to look like something else. it should be fun. :)

Back