Getting a new vacuum, need laptop advice.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Yes, it's that time again. School hath started and so does the housecleaning in earnest, so it's time to replace yet another puppy-destroyed one.

The happy news? We know which one we want and it's at BestBuy and me and my wife are going tomorrow. We're going to get this one, so why did I post this thread if we know what we're getting?

Because my wife just got a new job. Same company, but in Hammond instead of Crown Point....which means a 5 minute drive to work instead of a 30 minute one. (And only 30 minutes because she drives the Z like a demon!)

But the new job is midnights, so she asked me if there were any good laptop deals at BestBuy....

Which would you recommend? I haven't even looked yet, I'm still in shock that she's serious.

Cheaper is better, she'll be using it to watch shows at work. She will have access to an outlet, and I'll be looking into the local wireless broadband services next.....

My notes thread.

Hewlett-Packard Pavilion Model: dv5224nr

# AMD Turion™ 64 mobile technology ML-37* for AMD64 performance in a thin-and-light design; HyperTransport™ and AMD PowerNow!™ technologies and Enhanced Virus Protection for Windows XP SP2
# 1GB PC2700 DDR DIMM for multitasking power, expandable to 2GB
#15.4" WXGA high-definition widescreen display with BrightView technology and 1280 x 800 resolution
#80GB hard drive (5400 rpm)
#ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M IGP graphics with 128MB DDR dedicated video memory; S-video TV-out; Altec Lansing speakers

Sale: $799.99

Acer Aspire Notebook PC (5102WLMI)

• AMD Turion™ 64 X2 TL-50
• 15.4" WXGA display
• 1GB of DDR2 memory
• 120GB hard drive
• DVD SuperMulti drive
• Integrated camera

You pay: $899.99
Mail-in rebate(s): -$150.00
Apparently my only limit will be she wants a $500 one and is undecided, so it has to be somewhere local and in the $700 range and she'll get it tomorrow. ;)

EDITED BITS: Adding as I find 'em, I'll need to read all these tomorrow over coffee! ;)

Toshiba Satellite M105-S3041

# Intel® Centrino® mobile technology with interrelated Intel® Core™ Solo processor T1350, Intel® 945GM Express chipset family, Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network connection (802.11a/b/g) and extended battery life capability
# 512MB DDR2 SDRAM for multitasking power, expandable to 4GB
# 14.1" WXGA active-matrix TFT-LCD widescreen display with TruBrite technology and 1280 x 800 resolution
# 80GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
# Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 8-128MB dynamically shared video memory; Intel® High Definition audio; S-video output

Sale: $599.99

Why not just buy a Dell E1505 or E1405 with a coupon? ~$700, far better than anything that's been described here. (Turion, ew. Core Solo, meh. Core Duo and Centrino, hooray! And keep in mind that you can now run AIGLX and Linux for all sorts of bitchin' GUI awesomeness :D )

YES!

/me runs over and kisses Baron in a very manly and heterosexual way!

Cruising Dell's site looking at that beast I kept getting annoyed by every price having a "or $xx/mos" next to it...'til I remembered my wife loves financing larger purchases. :)

I think we're gonna go with a Dell, get a decent one, and finance it to extend our price range to around a grand. Gonna check their financing deals in the morning to see how harsh it is...

We're going to get this one

Mine's similar to this one, but without the giant bigass motor nozzle. Oh, and without the stupid canister dust container as well. Seriously, how is that supposed to work anyway? You empty it out - dust n shit flies everywhere.

A smart system would be, you open up the vacuum cleaner - grab the bag, toss it in the trash, then put in a new bag. Takes 10 seconds, all the mites and other crap stay in the bag.

Mine's the best vacuum cleaner I've ever tried. Swedish engineering at its finest! :D

Actually it works just fine with the canister, but it's a PITA to clean it every now and then. And it's no better than the conventional ones.

No way I'd get a bag vacuum cleaner, I use it too much and hate being out of bags!

Our family tends to chew thru vacuum cleaners figuratively and literally. 3 dogs, 2 cats, 2 kids, and a messy husband tend to make for a lot of vacuuming. Our strategy has devolved into cheap and decent, planning for a short lifespan.

For that bagless are great. We've been getting uprights for the last 4-5 so the canister will be a new thing, and I like the idea of it.

I'm in a laptop mood right now....

Is it just me thinking that vaccum cleaners are a bridge too far for the Hardware Talk forum? :LOL: Unless it has a wireless modem, of course. ;)

I figured the laptop was the bit I was actually looking for advice on G, I know my way around vacuums pretty well already. ;)

Hm, I went through three bags in like five years with my last one. :LOL: Then again, I live a solitary life and have linoleum floors, so not much dust is created. Canisters still sound like a stupid idea to me, it must certainly be a lot dirtier than disposable bags.

I love that my current cleaner has the on/off buttons up on the handle, that rules. And, it's fairly quiet and has great filtering.

I like mine loud and powerful. Silence costs, and it keeps the puppies away from me. ;)

I'm looking at Dells now. Got approved for $1,500 credit which scares me as I don't think I should have, but the only free financing I can get is 18 months on the XPS line-up of laptops.

Oh, and I got the gratuitous 20% off coupon code too.

I might just hold off a bit and wait for a deal, then again we might run out and pick one up at BestBuy when we get a vacuum...you never know with us. :LOL:

Thanks for all the input/help, at least I feel a little more clued going in.

You know you really want to grab an Apple Mac Book to play around with... ;)

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

I actually got nothing against Macs, but I'm such a windows fella that I just couldn't ever picture me doing something like that...the idea literally never crossed my mind.

I'm watching Dell and waiting for the right moment now, I expect it'll come along in the next few weeks.

Oh, and we didn't get the vacuum either today, it wasn't in stock. :rolleyes:

I was playing around at Dell and got a pretty sweet Inspiron possibility:

Inspiron E1705 Qty 1

Intel® Core™ Duo Proc T2250 (1.73GHz/533MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache),

Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

LCD Panel 17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Display

Memory 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz

Video Card 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS

Hard Drive 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

Combo/DVD+RW Drives 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive

Sound Options Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ HD Software Edition

Wireless Networking Cards Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 Internal Wireless

Mobile Broadband Dell Wireless 5700 Mobile Broadband(CDMA EVDO)ExpressCard for Verizon

Primary Battery 80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Unit Price $1,735.00
$1,388.00 with a 20% off coupon, do-able.

With a 17" panel, I'd want to know how much it weighs, and how your wife would feel about that. My experience is most women tend to place a higher premium on smaller/lighter in laptops than most men.

Mine's similar to this one, but without the giant bigass motor nozzle. Oh, and without the stupid canister dust container as well. Seriously, how is that supposed to work anyway? You empty it out - dust n shit flies everywhere.

A smart system would be, you open up the vacuum cleaner - grab the bag, toss it in the trash, then put in a new bag. Takes 10 seconds, all the mites and other crap stay in the bag.

Mine's the best vacuum cleaner I've ever tried. Swedish engineering at its finest! :D

We have two siberian huskies - if my canister used bags I'd have to replace them twice in one sweep of the house!! :)

Damn it, you're probably all correct. The thing probably is too much of a beast.

Back to the drawing board... :rolleyes:

Apple MacBook

If you want Windows, you could boot-camp it and dual-boot. For what it will be used for, Mac OS-X is a much better fit.

No, I don't do Apple. Nothing against 'em, but I'm a pretty hardcore windows guy.

They're great for some people, just not for me...and they certainly ain't cheap!

Back