The Historical Day! (well, sort of... ;) )

Nappe1

lp0 On Fire!
Veteran
My boycott against Nintendo came to end, after hearing that my sister has been able to buy me DS Lite during her japan trip. :)

As few members here from PC side remember, I have been boycotting Nintendo products since times immemorial, due the conflict between Nintendo and Rainbow Arts in 1987. My original promise was that I am not buying Nintendo products before Nintendo admits that destroying The Great Giana Sisters with lawyer army was like hitting fly with bazooka. Still though my boycott and promise seems to be now history, I still would like to see Giana make a comeback. Whoever owns the trademark nowdays.

Yet, DS Lite is also my first console since "Dual Screen Donald Duck Game & Watch", so it has been over 20 years passed. Also, I am soon a happy owner of Mario Kart, that is my first nintendo made game since original Mario Bros in 1985 for Commodore 64.

I already checked what's coming and what's already available for DS and it seems that this was a good day to end the boycott. List of classic 8bit (and later) remakes seems to be long as gorilla's arm: dig dug, bubble bobble, New Zealand's Story, Rainbow Islands, The Settlers,... Heck, it's like in late 80's in game shop: so much to choose, money for only one. :)

GAH, nearly 20 years is a LONG time to carry a grudge... :D You can't have been old at that time!

And you gotta admit, GGS was a pretty blatant super mario ripoff. No way around it, it was stupid of rainbow arts to do it in the first place. Surely they knew about copyright and stuff...

On the other hand, german software companies weren't particulary interested in copyright at that time - or at least not other peoples' copyright - I have to this day a German asteroids clone that features a near pixel-perfect replica of the last starfighter ship. Or as pixel-perfect as you can get at 320*200 and roughly 32 colors. :p

That said, I do hope you enjoy your DS, it's a great little machine!

well, what can i say - welcome back to the big, happy family ; )

btw, speaking of classics - for the life of you, don't even think for a second you can skip castlevania!

*dramatic pause, followed by a longer dramatic pause*

.. don't refuse dracula's embrace

*muahahahahaaaaaa....*

you have a lot of catching up to do...

Hehe, If Nappe buys a Wii as well, he'll can play everything he's missed so far. Even with the DS you can buy a lot of retro games / remakes: SuperMario64 remake, SMB I, II and III (GBA), SMW, the old Zelda....

Anyway, try picking up the NewSuperMarioBros, it's really a great game albeit a little bit short.

GAH, nearly 20 years is a LONG time to carry a grudge... :D You can't have been old at that time!

And you gotta admit, GGS was a pretty blatant super mario ripoff. No way around it, it was stupid of rainbow arts to do it in the first place. Surely they knew about copyright and stuff...

On the other hand, german software companies weren't particulary interested in copyright at that time - or at least not other peoples' copyright - I have to this day a German asteroids clone that features a near pixel-perfect replica of the last starfighter ship. Or as pixel-perfect as you can get at 320*200 and roughly 32 colors.

That said, I do hope you enjoy your DS, it's a great little machine!

I was sort of carrying the grudge... :) for many years I wasn't really interested other than PC... so, it was easy to keep the boycott up and running.

GGS was clone, but if you think about it, so was the Wonderboy from Sega. The only big difference between these two was that Sega back then was at least size of Nintendo, if not bigger. Also, Super Mario Bros was never released on C64, so it was a bit overshot to use lawyers pull it back from the shops. (They have just used to usual copyright infigrement technique used a lot back then, where company that was get on caugh breaking copyright, is forced to buy license. For Example, almost all Commodore published games for VIC-20 in 1981 were dealt like this.)

I surely will be enjoying... I have already thinking about buying needed stuff to get my own code running on that thing. :) (plus, with those, I should be able to run FrodoDS as well.)

P.S. Original SID version of Giana Sisters soundtrack beats hell out of the Super Mario Bros. :) Chris Hülsbeck did great work with music.

well, what can i say - welcome back to the big, happy family ; )

btw, speaking of classics - for the life of you, don't even think for a second you can skip castlevania!

*dramatic pause, followed by a longer dramatic pause*

.. don't refuse dracula's embrace

*muahahahahaaaaaa....*

I definetely need to check it out.

you have a lot of catching up to do...
well, sort of... I have been playing PC games during this time, so I am not THAT out.

Hehe, If Nappe buys a Wii as well, he'll can play everything he's missed so far. Even with the DS you can buy a lot of retro games / remakes: SuperMario64 remake, SMB I, II and III (GBA), SMW, the old Zelda....

Anyway, try picking up the NewSuperMarioBros, it's really a great game albeit a little bit short.

afaik, NewSuperMarioBros is one of the games I am already getting and don't jump on the gun... :) I need to getting used to this new situation that I have lot of variety in games, instead of 3-4 genres in PC during last years. SO, I'll at least wait that Wii gets out before jumping buying it. ;)

GGS was clone, but if you think about it, so was the Wonderboy from Sega.
I wouldn't say that. Wonderboy had an energy bar that you had to keep topped-up by constantly eating fruit. It took place in a jungle setting. You didn't smash blocks of bricks with your fists, or shoot fireballs at badguys. You didn't eat special powerups to grow to twice the original size (I can't remember if GGS also used mushrooms), etc. GGS was a much much much MUCH closer version of SMB than wonderboy ever was. :p

I have already thinking about buying needed stuff to get my own code running on that thing. :)
THIS ONE looks particulary inviting IMO. Fairly roomy with the flashram, easy to dump stuff onto, doesn't stick out of the DS.

P.S. Original SID version of Giana Sisters soundtrack beats hell out of the Super Mario Bros. :) Chris Hülsbeck did great work with music.
Lol, yea it does... Hhehe! I prefer the Amiga soundtrack tho, that was great even though it was a bit heavy on the original soundtracker instruments.

well if it brings you peace of mind,...technically, you didnt buy a nintendo product (unless you bought some first party games), your sister did

Back