A Sideways Look at Graphics IHVs IP Strength

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
http://www.ipiq.com/downloads/ipIQ_Investment Perspective_20060821.pdf

Sideways, because it's in the context of the AMD vs Intel fight, tho has wider interest.

There are a bunch of quotes I could pluck from here, but I don't want to steal their whole report.

So, a sample one:

ATI's 2005 Science Linkage score of 2.78 is significantly higher than the similarly sized NVIDIA score of .70, indicating that ATI is innovating upon more leading-edge scientific advances than NVIDIA. Science Linkage is the area of patent quality in which the ATI patent portfolio stands apart from NVIDIA, and thus is accretive to the AMD portfolio.

And just in case you think NV gets no love at all:

NVIDIA has a 13% stronger CII [Current Impact Index] score of 1.46 compared to than ATI's 1.33. If AMD were to acquire NVIDIA instead of ATI, the combined company would have a stronger patent portfolio from a CII standpoint but would still trail industry leader Intel.

Interesting stuff. Wish they explained how they derived the CII and TCT - they seem more than a bit vague. I also don't get the connection between Moore's law and the Science Linkage index. Does that mean you get points for higher transistor counts?

Could anyone fill me in on Broadcom? I thought they were just making network adapters, never knew they were this "fat" :oops:

Back