MGS4 Trailer (3 new minutes)

Looks nice but I wouldn't say the animation is that awesome. After all is mostly motion captured with a few ragdolls here and there (that has some problems, like the guy who fell from the truck is really stiff).

Looks nice but I wouldn't say the animation is that awesome. After all is mostly motion captured with a few ragdolls here and there (that has some problems, like the guy who fell from the truck is really stiff).

Just interested to know what games have better animation.

Strangely, I think the only game this trailer is surpassing in animation, is Metal Gear Solid 3 on PS2. I think MGS3 still ranks up there as one of the games with the most impressive animation in any game, even compared with current/next gen games (not counting Sports games, more genre similar games). Okay, ZOE2 had super animation (same engine)... and then of course the Jak and Daxter games....

Strangely, I think the only game this trailer is surpassing in animation, is Metal Gear Solid 3 on PS2. I think MGS3 still ranks up there as one of the games with the most impressive animation in any game, even compared with current/next gen games (not counting Sports games, more genre similar games). Okay, ZOE2 had super animation (same engine)... and then of course the Jak and Daxter games....

Mmmm... You know i love ZOE2 but it hardly had good "animation"... It had absolutely crazy physics and particles, but it didn't have to animate characters the way MGS3 or the Jak games did.
Speaking of Jak, from Jak2 the series really stood in a league of their own if you think that all animations in the game were not motion-captured, unlike the MGS games. Not to take anything away from the MGS games after the second one, but i think the animation in Jak is more impressive than the motion capture in MGS simply because motion capture in comparison is a bit like "cheating"...:D

Was it? ZOE2 had quite remarkable animation - fast as hell and the robots moved accurately and the way I'd imagine them to... and it was the same engine too...

True about the Jak games... though I must say, it's easier to relate to the MGS3 animation since it's a realistic setting which emotions being displayed that you are confronted with in every day life. J&D on the other hand is a cartoon that is ment to look cartoony (which technically doesn't make it any less impressive, if probably even more so)...

Was it? ZOE2 had quite remarkable animation - fast as hell and the robots moved accurately and the way I'd imagine them to... and it was the same engine too...

I just think that animating robots is a whole different thing than animating human or cartoony characters the way we've seen in the Jak or MGS games. The face animation alone in these two games is scarily good. Robots don't even have faces to animate!

ZOE2 moved "cool", because everything about the game was just so damn cool. :D I wouldn't say the animation could win awards though.

True about the Jak games... though I must say, it's easier to relate to the MGS3 animation since it's a realistic setting which emotions being displayed that you are confronted with in every day life. J&D on the other hand is a cartoon that is ment to look cartoony (which technically doesn't make it any less impressive, if probably even more so)...

I just think that the way Daxter alone was animated in some cutscenes should be seen as the standard other games should look up to. It really was way above anything seen in the PS2 generation, and almost on par with some early CGI animation movies.

But those two legged biomechs..

Nobody seems to care that those mech sounds like cows!? Ok thats fine when you get use to it but in the end of the video one cow makes a "muu" sound again and makes "scrap" and them every another biomechs does the "chorus scrap". :LOL:

Somebody told me the mini-Metal Gears moow on purpose. According to him Kojima himself said the sounds are supposed to remind the enemies of something they've known to be harmless, i.e. cows, and thus enlarging their reaction time while terrifying them after they've glimpsed the power of the MGs. Plus, it's the language of the MGs.

First impressions:

1st of all somebody is playing Sonic in the vicinity of that video wall, I can hear them collecting the rings. :LOL:

Secondly, Kojima is borrowing heavily from Black Hawk Down

Thirdly, the graphics are awesome. Period. Animations are also quite good and as expected the trailer is funny as well: The soldiers hiding behind the truck, I fully expected a MG jumping right in front of them. But no, a MG kicks and flips the truck over.... :devilish:

... Maybe this is the year of the Cow...?

Metal Gear Solid 4: Cow Eater.

They could release a cooking book... "Hideo Kojima presents: 100 japanese beef recipes"

Ok, I think everybody agreeds that the game looks good.

But those two legged biomechs..

Nobody seems to care that those mech sounds like cows!? Ok thats fine when you get use to it but in the end of the video one cow makes a "muu" sound again and makes "scrap" and them every another biomechs does the "chorus scrap". :LOL:

Anyone else did't laugh at that point? :?:

Thats because they ARE real cow "muu"s. Kojima atmited it himself. But did it on purpose :LOL:

Jesus. Can Snake even make breakfast without a mech busting through his wall like the Kool Aid guy?

Very quietly, there was some new stuff and an interview released on gamespot on MGS:portable Ops released too ... Maybe needs it's own thread, but I thought I'd mention it here. It seems they are going pretty all out on the psp version.

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/metalgearsolidpo/news.html?sid=6156386&mode=previews

Also, the 'extended' MGS4 video just linked to - the way I understood it was that the extra 3 minutes were actually cut from the other bit, and this longer version that has everything is in fact the original.

Back