FIFA and Pro Evolution Soccer 6 from Konami exclusive to XB360 for 12 months

... the US giant revealed that EA's FIFA '07 and Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer 6 would be exclusive to 360, Lewis said: "It's a great opportunity for us to reinforce the fact that for next-generation gaming, Xbox 360 is the only option for the next 12 months. And given the religious fervour for football in Europe it's particularly important to be able to make an announcement like that here in Leipzig."

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=66953

Does it matter? It's not like they're going to be different games, apart from a few name and shirts changes...

Yes, it does matter because if it's 12 months exclusive you'll have to wait a year extra to be able to play your first next-gen fifa on PS3. :cry:

Yes, it does matter because if it's 12 months exclusive you'll have to wait a year extra to be able to play your first next-gen fifa on PS3. :cry:

Well, I can imagine people at Microsoft saying: "Ok, so if the next-gen battle is in Europe (i.e. we've apparently lost Japan), then what do we need to have?' 'Soccer!'. And right they are, probably. Soccer games are really big over here. So it's a smart decision, especially with developers not too eager to bring out too many titles at once for a launching (i.e. small user base) platform anyway, especially at the higher cost that developing for emerging technology typically brings along.

This, mind you, is coming from someone who is a lot more enthusiastic about the PS3 than the 360 at this point. I just think that Microsoft made a smart move here, that's all.

Oh i know that, what i meant was, does it matter if it's called Fifa 07 or Fifa 08? they're gonna be basically the same...

It was kind of a bitchy joke against the Fifa games... :oops:

Sorry I missed EndR post above. You can still play the PS2 version of the game, so while it might seem to be a big deal its not the worst thing that could happen for many of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/08-24-2006/0004421064&EDATE=

Xbox 360 will be the only place players can experience the next
generation of soccer games this holiday. "FIFA 07" from Electronic Arts
will take you to the pitch with an all-new soccer engine and online
technology allowing you to play with and follow your favorite teams from
around the world. Also, Konami will bring "Pro Evolution Soccer 6" to Xbox
360, which will have gamers controlling their favorite teams in matches
spanning the globe. Xbox 360 is the premier place to experience the best
football games this holiday.

I don't really understand all the confusion.

The only 'sneaky' thing that might possibly be happening is if MS is twisting the word 'football' to mean ALL types of football.. thereby including the launch of Madden 2007 WITH FIFA and PES in order to get a sum total of '12 months exclusivity' (because seasons overlap).

If that isn't the case.. which I don't really think it is, then I don't see the big deal. We've read numerous reports about how far behind the PS3 version of Madden 2007 is from the 360 version. We know that the PS3 version of Madden couldn't possibly launch (today?) even if the console was available, and because the console isn't... 360 has '3 months exclusivity' of Madden 2007.

I don't see how this any different, except that maybe EA learned from it's PS3 Madden troubles and decided that launching the game late (halfway through or after the season) is worthless, so they'll focus on next year's title instead.

It makes sense. It actually makes more sense then releasing Madden 2007 for the PS3 in December. The season is over by Jan/Feb. If you can't get your NFL game out by August, there's really little reason to release it.. thus little reason to spend the resources creating it in the first place.

How many copies of Madden 2007 for the PS3 are going to sell? I'm going to wager a guess here that it'll be very.. very few. I'd put the PS3 version as last place, unless they release an Xbox version which might be last place because I have this silly notion that most Xbox users bought a 360. (Sales of Madden 2007: PS2, 360, Wii, PC, PS3).. thats how I see it anyway.

If we consider European Football games like FIFA and Pro Evolution to be the equivilent of North American John Madden football, this does effect the equation of wanting XB360 for some next-gen console buyers in the European market.

I really can't imagine a system launching in America without John Madden Football.

The power in the exclusive deal is in the overall context of what the XB360 will be offering the European market this holiday season. You have lower hardware price, an exclusive AAA title in Gears of War, and you offer European Football games.

Definitely, but only if the PC version is either also delayed by 12 months or is not as "next gen" as the 360 version :) If 360 got by far the best version of PES6 exclusive for 12 months then I'd certainly buy a 360 for it (if I didn't already have one) and I'd bet that millions of others would as well. In fact if 360 got by far the best version of PES6 exclusively for 12 months it could be the one thing that would sell 360's in Japan as well.

Definitely, but only if the PC version is either also delayed by 12 months or is not as "next gen" as the 360 version :) If 360 got by far the best version of PES6 exclusive for 12 months then I'd certainly buy a 360 for it (if I didn't already have one) and I'd bet that millions of others would as well. In fact if 360 got by far the best version of PES6 exclusively for 12 months it could be the one thing that would sell 360's in Japan as well.

Yeah, if this doesn't sell 360 in Japan, there aren't that many other options that will.

Though I reckon MS should dig deeper into their pocket and have those two franchises exclusive just to 360 and no last gen machine or PC for the next 3 years. :)

Now I wonder if Sega will port their new version of Virtua Striker 4 to PS3 and Wii, within this 12 months to make easy cash.

Konami Japan released a PR about this issue.
http://www.konami.jp/topics/2006/0825pes/

About the platform of Pro Evolution Soccer 6
2006-08-25

Some web sites have the report (or an expression which is possible to mislead) that Konami's soccer game "Pro Evolution Soccer 6" will be an exclusive title for Xbox 360, but such a fact doesn't exist.

We are developing "Pro Evolution Soccer 6" for multiple platforms to be played by many fans.

Hmm... I was actually on MS's side for this announcement until I saw the Konami clarification. Why does MS do it ? It might hurt their relationships in Japan (People will be more careful/conversative when they talk to MS for fear of getting used/scolded by their bosses).

Hmm... I was actually on MS's side for this announcement until I saw the Konami clarification. Why does MS do it ? It might hurt their relationships in Japan (People will be more careful/conversative when they talk to MS for fear of getting used/scolded by their bosses).

Huh? MS has always only maintained that this is a "Next-gen" exclusive. That is all.

Konami Japan released a PR about this issue.
http://www.konami.jp/topics/2006/0825pes/

I'm getting really fed up with all the BS MS is spreading around

And In other news

http://www.gamefront.de/

25.08.06 - Thomas Zeitner, Geschäftsführer von Electronic Arts Deutschland, hat sich gegenüber Spiegel.de über die 12-monatige Xbox 360 Exklusivität von FIFA 07 geäußert.

FIFA 07 wird aus Zeitmangel nicht auf PS3 erscheinen: EA hat die PS3-Entwicklungsstationen noch nicht lange genug zur Verfügung gehabt, um zufriedenstellende Ergebnisse erzielen zu können - FIFA 07 wird als Next Generation Version von Grund auf neu programmiert.

Um auch PS3-Besitzern 'die bestmögliche FIFA-Spielerfahrung bieten zu können', so Zeitner, wird das erste FIFA für PS3 FIFA 08 im Herbst 2007 sein.

Translations

basically EA didn't have enough time to get ps3 version of FIFA07 up to satisfying standard.

Back