FIFA and Pro Evolution Soccer 6 from Konami exclusive to XB360 for 12 months

I still cannot believe how people can argue against this. EVERY site has the same story..

this is from gamesindustry.biz..
Under the terms of the agreement, the two leading football titles from Electronic Arts and Konami will not be available for Sony's PlayStation 3 until at least twelve months after release on Microsoft's console.

Every site posts the same thing..
And sure, this holiday-season is WELL within the 12 months of exclusivity..

Actually, I just read confirmation that it's just for this year, from guys who were in Leipzig. The next PES for PS3 is scheduled for April 2007, and FIFA 2007 for PS3 will be released early in 2007. I'll post a more reliable quote once I come across one.

Strange..
This is a comment from a guy "in the know" over at GAF:
This was regarding all teh fuzz.. he also stated that it was a 4 month exlusivity deal..
but then he wrote this..

Ok, well looks like EA US and EA UK were not on the same page, as I've just confirmed with the correct individuals that FIFA is indeed now a 12 month Xbox 360 next-gen exclusive.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115837&page=6

I have a swedish pressrelease from on another computer where its states 12 month of exclusivity...

Ok, here is Microsofts own announcement:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/aug06/08-23UmbrellaLeipzigPR.mspx

microsoft said:
With “FIFA 07” from Electronic Arts Inc. (EA) and “Pro Evolution Soccer 6” from Konami Digital Entertainment Inc., Xbox 360 will be the only place where gamers can enjoy next generation soccer this year.

Bold mine ...

Then again, there's this interview with Lewis, the European Xbox boss:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=66953

... which does state the next 12 months. And this is also apparently what he said during the press-conference. So I guess it must be true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but they all recycle the same sources. The GC event had an announcement that these titles weren't going to be on PS3, but we don't have the actual wording. Did the guy say MS had secured exclusives, or is this a case of what was already on the cards, that PS3 was coming too late to get the next footy iterations? Did MS say 12 months or a year? Did they announce that correctly? When EA said it'd be next year before PS3 sees FIFA, did MS take that to mean 12 months whereas EA meant 6 months? Or did MS get it right?

There's ambiguity here and referencing media sources that often repeat the mistakes of other media sources doesn't prove anything, especially when an official MS press release only mentions holiday season and not 12 months. The fact that XB360 is getting them as exclusives is a definite. The interest (at least for me) is whether MS made a deal to secure the exclusivity, which is aggressive play by them, or whether that was just the way things were working out but MS are capitalizing on it.

From that lengthy GAF thread, here's another ambiguous press release from XB
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/aug06/08-23UmbrellaLeipzigPR.mspx
With “FIFA 07â€￾ from Electronic Arts Inc. (EA) and “Pro Evolution Soccer 6â€￾ from Konami Digital Entertainment Inc., Xbox 360 will be the only place where gamers can enjoy next generation soccer this year.

I was sure of the 12 months exclusivity till I read this:

A PlayStation 3 version is set to follow in 2007, but for now EA's focusing on Microsoft's console

Hugues Ricour: Well, our Xbox 360 version is based on a completely new gameplay engine. We will release a PlayStation 3 version, but not this year.

PS3 version .... do they mean Fifa 07 or Fifa 08? Very confusing :???:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=66848

I'll stay with Microsoft's official press release.
Me too, the European boss's statement could be delibrate for creating confusion on PS3.
They don't hurt from one or two "untrue" statements on some convention by some lesser MS boss, as long as it isn't Moore, Allard or some other of their big figures.
A little "lie" that puts them in better light and the competition to disadvantage, while not being true, can only do them good when it comes to visibility and public perception.
The people will forget the white lie anyway after some weeks, when the true facts are let out to public.
And they always have the official press release to fall back on in case they get caught (which no-one reads anyway, as the interviews "sell" better).

And I'm not saying it's just MS.

Me too, the European boss's statement could be delibrate for creating confusion on PS3.
They don't hurt from one or two "untrue" statements on some convention by some lesser MS boss, as long as it isn't Moore, Allard or some other of their big figures.
A little "lie" that puts them in better light and the competition to disadvantage, while not being true, can only do them good when it comes to visibility and public perception.
The people will forget the white lie anyway after some weeks, when the true facts are let out to public.
And they always have the official press release to fall back on in case they get caught (which no-one reads anyway, as the interviews "sell" better).

And I'm not saying it's just MS.

yeah, but future anouncements will be taken with a grain of salt because these "fake news" become a continuity. corps steadily loose credibility that way, see sony with their target renders.

Another MS pressrelease.. got it less than a minute ago..

STOCKHOLM – Thursday 24th August 2006 - With the announcements of FIFA 07 and Pro Evolution Soccer 6 at the Leipzig Games Convention as next-generation exclusives, the Xbox 360 video game system from Microsoft has become the only place football fans can enjoy next-generation versions of these titles for the coming twelve months.

“We’re very pleased to be bringing the next-generation edition of Pro Evolution Soccer 6 exclusively to Xbox 360 until late summer 2007,” said Hans-Joachim Amann, Head of European Product Management at Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH. “The power of Xbox 360 takes our critically-acclaimed franchise to new heights of realism, playability, and fun. We know true football fans will enjoy the new experiences that Pro Evolution Soccer 6 on Xbox 360 will offer.”

“FIFA 07 on Xbox 360 will be a must-have for football and gaming fans,” said Hugues Ricour, FIFA 07 producer, Electronic Arts. “The advanced capabilities of Xbox 360 and a completely new game engine mean that FIFA 07 reaches new heights of responsiveness, playability, graphical and game-play realism, and fun. Innovative online capabilities make the most of Xbox Live and bring even more realism to football fans. The only place gamers can enjoy the next-generation edition of FIFA 07 is on Xbox 360 – we love developing for this thing!”

Whether fans prefer FIFA 07 or Pro Evolution Soccer 6, they need look no further than Xbox 360 as these great titles won’t be available on any other next-gen platform.
-------

This will surely spin some heads as well...

Last edited by a moderator:
Link?

And oh... I guess I'm waiting until a PlayStation 3 version arrives as PlayStation 2's version will fullfil my needs. Maybe even be better... see Madden 07 reviews. ;)

Back