Stargate Cancelled!

Newsflash!

I never saw one episode of this show.

You think that's bad? I never saw Star Trek, either. And I dare call myself a nerd!

Sci-Fi channel has let's see:

SG-1
SG-Atlantis
BSG
Eureka

+

dozens or hundreds of "original" sci-fi movies of the week like "Python vs Cobra", "Mansquito", etc. Movies that are so so so bad they make Dolemite and Plan 9 look like Oscar winners.

So, they cancel SG-1 which has 2 million+ weekly viewers and was a staple of their friday night lineup, and continue to fund even more *TERRIBLE* original movies. Why not cut the original movies and fund more series!

Plus, SG-1 ratings only dived for 5 weeks and are back to the norm viewership, which make sense for premiering this season during the SUMMMER.

Once SG-1 is gone from the Friday lineup, SG-A is going to be next, because the wraith plot is going to run out of steam soon, there is no political intrigue unlike the Jaffa/Goa'uld. And viewers who watched both shows are going to be fucking yelling about major plot threads left unsolved like the Ori. I like Atlantis, but it can't stand on its own IMHO without Stargate command.

I predict that in 2 years, SG-Atlantis will be gone too. Then, all they will have is BSG and Eureka. We'll see if it can survive. Caprica IMHO is going to fail quickly.

Here's why SG-1 was cancelled, plane and simple:
1) 10 years worth of shows in the can
2) salaries and production costs rising
3) cancel show, reap profits on re-runs and DVD sales of previous 10 seasons
4) no more production costs/salaries, only royalties to actors

Before SG-1 was picked up by Sci-FI channel, the Sci-Fi channel was a JOKE of a channel that wasn't worth watching. SG-1 practically put the channel on the map, and most of the viewership of the channel is SG-1 fans.

So IMHO, they made a major mistake by flipping the finger to the fanbase that created their channel.

Now Sci-FI is WRESTLING/UFC, ghost and horror shows.

Now Sci-FI is WRESTLING/UFC, ghost and horror shows.

My sister was working for someone right at the top of Sci-Fi Channel in the UK when she saw the management changes that precipitated the change of direction. It was the time when they cancelled Farscape, and she left soon afterwards.

Basically they sold the channel to US network execs who are more interested in making "product" than in sci-fi. The people at the top don't understand sci-fi, but think they can make it work because they understand the TV industry.

So they junked all the sci-fi they didn't have a clue about, and went down the road of cheap ghost shows, trying to emulate things like the X-Files, and now it's progressed into selling any cheap crap like wrestling.

They just don't understand the loyalty of the fans to the genre, or the reason why people watch programs like Farscape, Stargate, Firefly, BSG - they just look at the ratings and collect their bonuses. Someone needs to sit them down in front of a list of the top selling movies and show them how popular good sci-fi/fantasy sells well.

And yet they've (by accident probably) brought us shows like Farscape, Stargate, Atlantis, Dune, Children Of Dune, BSG, etc, but still don't have a clue what their target audience want to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya know, I am really ticked with Sci-Fi. Why?

1. ECW+WWE Raw WTF since when is wrestling, in any form or shape Sci-Fi. Fiction, yes, but Science Fiction?
2. I can't stand 99% of the original movies. Manquito? Crocodile? UGH. Ok I'll admit there are a couple that were palatable or even good, but the vast majority of Sci-Fi original movies make me sick: D+D2 and Children of Dune
3. Their programming lineup. On any given day their Science Fiction lineup looks more like a Horror lineup. Today's lineup for example includes such wonderful science fiction shows as: Access Hollywood Hit List and Insectidal. Tomorrow's lineup includes not one, not two but four episodes of Who Wants to be a Superhero. Monday's lineup which used to have SG1 episodes now has WWE Raw for two hours.
4. It's rather telling that in Sci-Fi's own news section that SG1 has lower syndicated ratings than Star Trek: Enterprise.

Now they decide to cancel SG1 ptooie

Fortunately the BBC still owns/influences Doctor Who and TorchWood, so that will remain safe from the SciFi stupidity.

Wait they broadcast Raw on Sci FI now? The USA is a strange place :p

DOn't diss my ECW though ... EE CEE DUB EE CEE DUb!

According to the schedule I have they're going to be playing Dr. Who at the end of the season (last week of September) in place of SG-1 so I guess I"ll finally have to get around to watching an episode of it.

It's looking like a desert out there.
Yes, and most of it is soaps with people in funny suits, with a mandatory special effect thrown in every once in a while for good measure.

Please, PLEASE, give me one decent one, that is only special effects, action and enough personal interaction to make the story great.

Although I never got into SG1, I feel for the fans of this quality show.
It's unfortunate that the SCI-FI execs continue to put out low budget direct-to-DVD pseudo-scifi movies and turn their backs on the fans who are the bread and butter viewers.

Battlestar Galactica is suffering as well.

http://savestargatesg1.com/news/?p=455

We’ve learned that in its 3rd week, Battlestar Galactica, critically acclaimed flagship show of the SCI FI Channel, has shed more viewers.

Airing Friday 20 October, Exodus Part 2 obtained a 1.4 HHR according to the Nielsen fast overnight ratings. This is a drop of approximately 11.1% from the 1.6 HHR for Exodus Part 1, and a drop of approximately 22.2% from the 1.8 HHR gained by the Season 3 premiere episodes.

No one here wishes ill of Battlestar Galactica, any more than we wish ill of Stargate SG-1 or Atlantis. Many of us are fans, or at least viewers, of all three shows. As campaigners, we’ve been arguing since the cancellation that, together, the Gates and Galactica had a natural synergy, a must-see triad in the SCI Friday lineup that strengthened the ratings of all.
Its ratings are down significantly. You know, I wasn't a BSG watcher until the 2nd or 3rd season, and then I started getting into it. But without the SG1/SGA leadin, I probably would've never watched it. There are probably a lot of BSG watchers who felt the same way about SG1/SGA.

From what happened to SG1/SGA durign the summer, and what's happening to BSG now, I think SCI-FI royally screwed up that synergistic 3hr block.

Here's hoping they learn their lesson and reinstate it. That was one of the best nights on television imo.

If BSG is suffering on Friday nights, it's because they keep jacking around with the time-schedules. Here, this is the first week it will be on at the same timeslot as it was the previous week. When they move shows around with almost no warning, how do they expect viewers to be able to watch?

Along similar lines, I thought they were going to be showing/reusing Threshold or Invasion on the Friday block. As far as I saw, they aired one episode one week, and then never aired any more. All this ratings crap is just that, crap. Until they have every single TV, PVR, DVR, STB in their ratings, it's a farce. Their random sampling household numbers is a joke.

Screwing around with time schedules is the sure way to kill a series. I've never understood how US TV shows get away with moving times, suspending transmission for weeks or months before continuing a series, etc. If you get into a series, you want to see what happens next week, but if you leave it a few weeks, it's easy to forget what was going on and just not bother tuning in.

Back