If you couldn't buy a PS3 this fall...

If you saved $600 for a PS3 but none were available in 2006, what would you do?

• Total voters

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
What would you do if you had $600 for a PS3 this fall and couldn't buy one due to availability issues? Pick the option that would best fit your feelings if you had planned and saved to get a PS3 but learned you couldn't get one this fall.

1/ Be sensible man -- Hold onto the $600 into 2007 and wait for availability -- PS3 or bust!

2/ Its about the games... now! -- Buy an Xbox 360 instead (plus 4-6 additional games) and comfort yourself between games of Forza and Gears that more games are multiplatform this gen (like GTA4).

3/ Join the dark side -- Buy an Xbox 360 and the HD DVD addon.

4/ Double your pleasure -- Get a Wii and Xbox 360. Sony who?

5/ The pragmatic approach -- Get a Wii and hold onto the other $400 until 2008ish when the PS3 price drops.

I would probably wait for avaliability, as I have been doing. :LOL:
To prevent this, I plan on pre-ordering ASAP, whenever the stores here start letting them happen.

Already have a 360. Was going to wait for the PS3 to go through a couple of product cycles and fixed before jumping in anyway. There is simply too much new hardware and concepts all thrown together. By this time I'll know it's BR playback ability and other strenghts and weaknesses. The PS3 for me is not a "must have." It's a wait and see game. Simply put, too many unknowns for me to spend $800+ (console, controller and 2 games. my norm for purchase).

Thats very loaded wording on the poll, Man looking at those options, I wouldnt dream of getting an xbox 360.

Does that not defeat some of a polls purpose?

Thats very loaded wording on the poll, Man looking at those options, I wouldnt dream of getting an xbox 360.

Does that not defeat some of a polls purpose?

Not sure what you mean. You get limited words for polls, so I went with emotive-descriptive summaries. "PS3 or Bust" or "Its about the games... now!" are just summaries of how one may look at it. Personally I thought there was a pretty fair balance (although not all inclusive) of all the options. But I didn't want it all inclusive! I wanted to see, given 5 basic choices, what someone would do. Of course the pool fails in many levels -- namely a solid chunk of people here have no plans for a PS3 to begin with, so they have to imagine that they were and had the money -- but I was kind of curious how people respond to shortages and all the neat stuff this fall. How tempting are the other devices? How strong is your loyalty to the PS3? Where is the breaking point? And what market offerings bring one to that point -- Wii's controller? Multiplatform titles?

The poll is just for fun, but also aimed to see how people are sizing up their November buying decisions and how relevant any of this is. My poll is flawed :smile: I should have stipulated in the scenario you didn't have any consoles. Anyhow, should be fun. The options are not intended to be one sided, but they are intended to force a hard decision.

what about the choice...

I have $600 to spend but don't see the need to spend it on another machine right now since I already have a 360 and will get a PS3 when price drops and more exclusive games are released and I'll spend the $600 on a HDDVD add-on, HD content and more games in the meantime. ;)

what about the choice...

I have $600 to spend but don't see the need to spend it on another machine right now since I already have a 360 and will get a PS3 when price drops and more exclusive games are released and I'll spend the $600 on a HDDVD add-on, HD content and more games in the meantime. ;)

You were never good at make believe when you were a child, were you? :rolleyes:

:p You obviously can choose the 360 now and games or HD DVD option, whatever you would choose in that scenario. If you had $600 for the PS3 and $200 for games and accessories, do you get an Xbox 360 and HD DVD and a couple games or do you get an Xbox 360 and a half dozen games? Up to you!

/me thinks everyone should stop complaining and be happy I gave them $600 in the poll to begin with! Next time I am going to have to give some sob story how you have had to mow lawns all summer in anticipation for Novembers 17th! :LOL:

You were never good at make believe when you were a child, were you? :rolleyes:

:p You obviously can choose the 360 now and games or HD DVD option, whatever you would choose in that scenario. If you had $600 for the PS3 and $200 for games and accessories, do you get an Xbox 360 and HD DVD and a couple games or do you get an Xbox 360 and a half dozen games? Up to you!

/me thinks everyone should stop complaining and be happy I gave them $600 in the poll to begin with! Next time I am going to have to give some sob story how you have had to mow lawns all summer in anticipation for Novembers 17th! :LOL:

:LOL: sorry bro...

if I had never bought a 360 and.... had waited until Nov 07 for Next Gen and saved just for the PS3 and it was not available, I'd continue to wait... unless the 360's line up of winter 07 games was too overwhelming, then I may not be able to wait any longer and pull the trigger on the 360.

Not only did I suck at make believe but I have little patience as well! ;)

I voted for option 2... but it's hard to know what machine is right seeing as there are no real movers for either system due in 2006.

We shall see.

there arnt really much option in your poll except getting the 360... :rolleyes:

If it was a "no way I wold get a 360 based on those options" complaint, and now vice versa :LOL:

By my count:

2 options entail buying a PS3
2 options entail buying a Wii
3 options entail buying a Xbox 360

Which seems pretty fair, especially when one factors in a) MS has made the 360 fairly modular at this point which allows different options that may appeal to different consumers and why they wanted a PS3 b) the basic assumption based on the desire to get a PS3 was due to either next gen games or HD media and c) you either wait for a PS3 or you don't, so how many PS3 options can there be?

There really is no pleasing some of you! :LOL: For the record, the first and last options on the poll DO result in the purchase of a PS3, so contrary to recent popular rumors there ARE options other than purchasing an Xbox 360 and joining the dark side! ;)

EDIT: Wheew! It does seem you were able to find an option that resulted in a PS3 purchase. You had me a little worried there! Gotta keep on your toes these days, especially after those hanging chads! At least my poll did not come Xbox 360 pre-punched!

Gears of War & Forza beg to differ ;)

We'll see. TBH I haven't thought these games would bring new owners to the system. They're more "keepers" (ie, games existing owners could be excited about) than "movers" (ie, bring people in).

Again, purely my view - sales numbers shouldn't lie, so Oct/Nov it is.

Where's the "Join the cheapskate side -- Buy a Wii" option

I think allot of people may buy a Wii and may wait or not , untill other two come down in price and their game libraries expand and see what they offer , no ?

ssj-04 cut off the ******ism

If there are really going to be severe shortages, I would perfer that either Sony or the retailers increase the price.

I would rather pay more via a retail channel, than pay some prick extorting people on ebay.

If there are really going to be severe shortages, I would perfer that either Sony or the retailers increase the price.

I would rather pay more via a retail channel, than pay some prick extorting people on ebay.
they're all going to sell out since it's a launch. I mean people see they can sell something for a $1,000+ more they'll camp out for it.

Well, I have yet to buy new console this year. Early adopters be damned :p
That and I'm trying to save money. Although it's not really working.

The 360 is mighty tempting, and I've come close to buying it 5 times already this year. At just a tad over half the price of the 3, and with a growing library it's hard to beat. XNA pretty much seals the deal for me, putting it into the 'must have by early next year' bin.

I honestly don't believe motion sensing will work for extended periods of time, so in a holding pattern when it comes to the Wii (especially until the inevitable deluge of ******ism dies down post launch). 6 months down the line will be the real test for the Wii (imo). The same for the 3's controller (that said I already dislike the dual shock, damn thing gives me blisters).

Back