Fewer PS3s this year than previously claimed.

It was 6 million by March (or end of) we were told. And we're told they are capable of 1 million units a month. So that'd be 3 million needed by the end of the calendar year, not 2 million. I can't remember any specific numbers for units other than 6 million by March though.

Actually Sony stated on a number of occassions 4M units in CY 2006.

EDIT: Heh, beat and links.

Yep. I just forgot 'em. Maybe some emergency backpeddling by Hirai ;)

Have they not started manufacturing, or have they not started assembly?
We've heard that RSX and Cell are in production. We also had Asustek's talk of providing components. Could be that they're waiting on components before final assembly.

Pre-ordered my PS3 a few days ago:) Think I'm number one in one of the biggest shops in town;-)
What scares me a bit, though, is that it looks like a launch price point between 679 €/873 $ and 740 €/952 $!!:( No launch game included either.
All I got was a DVD-Rom with some HD game trailers (newly posted at playsyde.com) and still pictures (found at the ps3 official site) ... yay*!*

Still eagerly awaiting my new piece of candy!:)

Sindre

Pre-ordered my PS3 a few days ago:) Think I'm number one in one of the biggest shops in town;-)
What scares me a bit, though, is that it looks like a launch price point between 679 €/873 $ and 740 €/952 $!!:( No launch game included either.
All I got was a DVD-Rom with some HD game trailers (newly posted at playsyde.com) and still pictures (found at the ps3 official site) ... yay*!*
Still eagerly awaiting my new piece of candy!:)
Sindre
This is just speculation candy, but I heard somebody somewhere say that Sony is going to say on Wednesday that there might be a price drop to the (blank-blank)* range that is much lower.

*if I post an announcement that isn't released yet will I get banned?

This is just speculation candy, but I heard somebody somewhere say that Sony is going to say on Wednesday that there might be a price drop to the (blank-blank)* range that is much lower.

*if I post an announcement that isn't released yet will I get banned?

what, the psp? I thought that was shot down by sony a little while ago.

No, PS3. Like a major price drop in europe. Did they ban the guy that revealed all the secrets (for sony I think) before E3?

Well, I could dream of something like that, but we'll get the highest price in the world over here anyways, with a ton of taxes as icing on the cake. . *prays*

Well, I could dream of something like that, but we'll get the highest price in the world over here anyways, with a ton of taxes as icing on the cake. . *prays*
but maybe this price would be the equivalent of the $500-$600 US price...

Sounds good, but I guess If it doesnt affect me, the care factor isnt as big. ;)
I guess we will see what happens in a few days.

Roughly 700k for North America during Christmas? Heck ya there's going to be shortages. Tho if they don't screw up pre-orders as MS did, it won't be quite as angst-creating.

I'm moderately concerned, because this looks like yet another step back from expectations on how many will be available when. If it stops here, fine. But since it isn't the first, I don't see any particular reason to be confident it will stop here. I mean, they haven't actually gotten to the hard part yet of getting millions of finished product into consumers hands, y'know? They've got oodles of experience tho, and that is a comfort, so there should be no leaping from buildings just yet.

1M/month is great, but I will be surprised beyond words if they can accomplish that in the first month, and quite willing to give them major props if they can get there in the second month. I'd think third month is the earliest reasonable time frame to ramp assembly to full target. Given they haven't started yet, and looking at the calendar, clearly they don't anticipate 1M the first month either (and good for them).

Im fairly sure there will only be one SKU @ launch anyway. There is some news coming next week and i guess it will bring some light.

For the moment it looks like Sweden/Norway and Denmark has been a early market-poll.
It will go much faster in the states i pressume.
I have leaned not take a single piece of a meaning and make something up of it but i reacted when i read it yeasterday in another thread.

Either he just named wrong numbers or, ahwell.

Last edited by a moderator:
but maybe this price would be the equivalent of the $500-$600 US price...
They could drop £50 or so, from £425 to £375 to keep a closer relationship between US price and UK price with 17.5% VAT. Doing the same in Europe would probably save EU50 or so, given higher taxes.

I thought in Germany there was announced a free game deal, which was expected for the rest of the Europe. No further news on that?

they corrected the orginal article...

UPDATE: Following the publication of 1UP's story this afternoon, Sony contacted us to clarify a few points, especially considering our speculative commentary at the end.
"Unfortunately Kaz Hirai's comments in the recent GameSpot interview regarding PLAYSTATION 3 production were misunderstood. We are still on schedule to ship 2 million units for our mid-November 2006 launch and additional 2 million units by the end of the year for a total of 4 million units," said a Sony spokesperson.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153007

*thx to overclocked for bringing that to my attention.

Reactions: Geo
:rolleyes: If he mispoke that is one thing, but claiming that he was misunderstood is quite obnoxious IMO. He clearly framed his comments for total 2006 units as my above post points out.

This is becoming an example of Sony working over the press for extra hype. There are going to be shortages due to demand, but with Sony-fueled rumors of even more shortages than expected it is going to create more hype, more press, and more fanfair among consumers.

Anyhow, the least they could do is take up responsibility for mis-stating the issue instead of blaming the press. People get misquoted all the time or interviewers read much more into a comment than implied or intended; but these PR peeps and CEOs are trained PR/Interview assassins and everything they say is calculated and in this case it is pretty clear he misspoke.

Roughly 700k for North America during Christmas? Heck ya there's going to be shortages. Tho if they don't screw up pre-orders as MS did, it won't be quite as angst-creating.

Hmm.. What action do you propose to prevent them from 'screwing up' the pre-orders ala MS?

Do you suggest they not take any preorders at all, so nobody is disappointed?

Do you suggest they extremely limit their preorders, so they are all filled by people who placed unauthorized orders with retailers who were skirting legality before initial pricing announcements?

Do you suggest they fill any and all preorders at the detriment of placing any units on actual shelves?

What is your suggestion so pre-orders don't get 'screwed-up'?

Letting individual retailers know their exact allocation well in advance, and letting the community know that they've communicated that to those retailers, would be a heck of a good start, don't you think?

The retailers might still screw it up, and sure that would cause some degree of blow-back on Sony, but it would be a lot less than what happened with MS, and Sony would have less guilt in the matter.

Am I behind the curve on this? I haven't seen nearly the "pre-order frenzy" for PS3 in North America that I recall from the xb360 launch. At least yet. I'm assuming this is not coincidental, nor a lack of enthusiasm for PS3 amongst the hardcore faithful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Preorders haven't been available on the whole. I know there have been discussions with Sony and suppliers about allocation. It's like they're holding off allowing them until some sense of numbers are available. I'm not sure what you mean by the XB360 troubles though. Preorders going unfulfilled? I don't know whether that was the stores or MS's fault.

Back