Metro 2033 [X360]

Graham

Hello :-)
Veteran
Supporter
Direct from playsyde:

This first person shooter is being developped by 4A Games, an Ukrainian game company, and is based on a cult novel of the Russian author Dmitriy Glukhovskiy "Metro 2033".
The world lies in ruins. Humanity is almost annihilated. Due to the high level of radiation cities became unsuitable for living... The storyline takes place 20 years after these events, and takes as a starting point the metro tunnels of Moscow - The largest anti-nuclear shelter of the planet, where some strange things are happening (Mutants inside).

http://playsyde.com/news_3313_13634_1_277049_en.html#277049

Although the site doesn't mention it, it appears to be a PC/360/PS3 title.

metro1.jpg

metro2.jpg

Personally I think this looks *really* good. The shadowing is really solid (and definitly looks to be real time).

There aren't enough slow paced FPS's, so I live in hope this is one.

That's funny, IGN is reporting it to be a PC/PS3 exclusive.

Revealed last week to European press, the PC/PS3 first-person shooter is based on a popular Eastern European cult novel from Russian author Dmitriv Glukhovskiy called, you guessed it, "Metro 2033."

Looks nice (hand texture!). A couple of the screens remind me of HL2's look with the high res concrete.

It'd be nice if they got it onto 360 (especially since it's coming to PC), but it seems like they've got a lot of work cut out for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
From PSU.com:

"There isn’t a single static light source; basically, light bulbs shake and break,” said Prokhorov. "The number of light sources in a frame is limited by common sense, not by programmers. But fully dynamic lighting isn’t an end in itself; it allows us to create the game in the process of playing it, without wasting time on recalculation of lightmaps, shadows, and other stuff. We also use visualization technology to give the game a film-like image, and we’re adding 64-bit HDR with eye adaptation, depth of field, motion blur, and PhysX."

More info and screenshots here

Some new info (thanks for link "user542745831"). :)

http://games.on.net/article/7836/Metro_2033_-_Technical_QA

Some interesting bits from technical interview about Metro 2033. Shaved off some quotes that are PC related but tesselation and the shader AA might be valid for 360 to. Reason I think this is they say you can turn everything on with a GTX2xx Nvidia GPU which is a DX10 GPU. But just guessing.

Be sure to read the whole interview!

We focused on a few really basic things. For example, even if you don’t enable hardware antialiasing in the game, everything will still be fully antialiased – maybe not to the extent possible with the full hardware support, but still antialiased.

This is done mostly by morphological analysis of the scene. We run a lot of compute shading, where we analyse the scene before it is shown to the user. It’s done every frame, and we can correct a lot of small inconsistencies before the user sees the scene.

games.on.net: What are some of the tricks your AI can do – we’ve heard it can smell. How does smell differ to say, hearing?

Other bits like tesselation used for characters and other stuff. Sounds like a new champion on the works (based on visuals and gameplay videos)! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The game has been mentioned for a few months as a xbox360/PC title..The graphics definitely look impressive and I hope the gameplay matches the fantastic looking visuals.Im looking forward to this game..The story alone has me really interested...

Some new info (thanks for link "user542745831"). :)

http://games.on.net/article/7836/Metro_2033_-_Technical_QA

Some interesting bits from technical interview about Metro 2033. Shaved off some quotes that are PC related but tesselation and the shader AA might be valid for 360 to. Reason I think this is they say you can turn everything on with a GTX2xx Nvidia GPU which is a DX10 GPU. But just guessing.

Be sure to read the whole interview!

Other bits like tesselation used for characters and other stuff. Sounds like a new champion on the works (based on visuals and gameplay videos)! :D

Great interview and its good to hear that the xbox 360 version has better visuals then a middle-range PC for this game.In motion, it simply looks goregous..

I am very interested in this game, as I really liked the book.
Looking forward to see how the capture the atmosphere of the book and good to know that the take advantage of the Xbox360!

I am very interested in this game, as I really liked the book.
Looking forward to see how the capture the atmosphere of the book and good to know that they are taking advantage of the Xbox360!

Is the book any good?Because if it is, then I can read it before playing the game...:D:D

Is the book any good?Because if it is, then I can read it before playing the game...:D:D

I liked it a lot: the setting was great and the ideas too, the ending was special and unexpected as well
(and I think there are a lot of other people who like the book), but I don't know your taste either...

The question is if it spoilers the story of the game or not, on the other hand...maybe the detailed descriptions in the book help to understand the setting of the game better...hard to tell??

Is the book Sci-Fi/Sci-Fantasy? What genre? I may pick it up when I finish up my current queue of books if it's a genre I might like.

Regards,
SB

Is the book Sci-Fi/Sci-Fantasy? What genre? I may pick it up when I finish up my current queue of books if it's a genre I might like.

Regards,
SB

hm, difficult for me to answer: the story takes place in a (near) future setting, after a nuclear desaster. Some people survived, because they were in the Metro in Moscow (hence the name Metro 2033 ;-) ) The book is not science fiction in the sense that they all have jet packs and warp drives...the tech level is naturally relatively low (mostly only things available in the metro) but what is interesting is how the survivers manage to survive and how the organize their lives and which social structures they choose to do so...it generates an intersting but oppressive atmosphere which I liked a lot: idealy suited for the main plot to take place (I won't spoiler it!). I really liked the (for me unexpected) ending and its implicitations (with respect to the future of this people, with respect to morality and with respect to the fear of the unknown).
But don't expect an action driven sci-fi or sci-fantasy spectacle and I am not quite sure if I like the writting style...

Back