Perhaps one of the greatest achievments by a publisher

Brimstone

B3D Shockwave Rider
Veteran
I don't remember a publisher releasing a follow-up game title within the first 12 months and having it eclipse every other game shown.

This is absolutley jaw dropping stunning and will be available on all the major next-gen platforms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V6PAagu6fs

Whoever at Activision planned these games, that person is one of the best product managers in the video game industry.

I can't recall when a game IP ever had a follow-up game released this fast that has raised the bar on what to expect from a next-gen game.

It's available in HD over at GameTrailers.

The game looks great, a really nice improvement visually over CoD2. The gamplay should still be great, looks like they've managed to make it look even more chaotic.

Am I the only one that hates the HDR and DOF? I'm not trolling since I'll probably get it for 360 if I get it but it hurts my eyes following everything on screen.

How much more of shooting up nazis can the world stand?! :-? If I was german, I'd have started murdering game developers by now... ENOUGH ALREADY! THINK UP SOMETHING NEW FFS!!

Ok, that said, it DOES look impressive. Lighting looks better, animations look better. Detail level is MUCH higher. Too bad that debris still doesn't affect the world however; pretty much all the junk created by that plane destroying the church belltower in the first movie just fades away before it hits the ground from what I could see.

Is this 360 footage? If it looks like that and runs as smooth, well, let's say that some peoples' misgivings about the power of that console just may have been a tad misguided! :D It surely shows a hefty performance improvement over most every other FPS out on the beige box, including Prey, which still stutters like crazy despite programmers having had tons more time to optimize that hopeless Doom3 engine for the extremely powerful 360 hardware. I dunno, if Prey is a show of things to come from Carmack/id, I am having some concerns if all the hype of his technical prowess can possibly be true. :)

Replace all that mud and crap with steel and circuitry, and the nazis with maneating aliens with green guts and yellow blood, and the lame 1930s-tech firearms with plasma repeaters and fusion cannons, and this game would definitely attract me.

As it stands however, NO MORE WWII SHOOTERS FOR ME! Especially not on a console that does not support mouse and keyboard input...

Waste of a great engine, making another tired nazi shoot-em-up. :-?

Yeah, looks as if DOF needs more work. Might look pretty and make it all look more cinematic, but from the looks of it, it might also get pretty annoying as well. We'll see how it shapes up, though.

Yeah, looks as if DOF needs more work. Might look pretty and make it all look more cinematic, but from the looks of it, it might also get pretty annoying as well. We'll see how it shapes up, though.
Just drop it altogether. That might look good in fighting game but I can't see how it would be good in an fps.

How much more of shooting up nazis can the world stand?! :-? If I was german, I'd have started murdering game developers by now... ENOUGH ALREADY! THINK UP SOMETHING NEW FFS!!
I think Nazis are nicely uncontroversial enemies. You can shoot Nazis without anyone complaining as they are universally reviled as evil (except by 'It' of course!). Better that then middle-eastern shooters that prey on Islamaphobia, or the other US produced shooters that target the Koreans or other existing countries and tend to portray them as the evil enemy who need to be vanquished, where you're going to get criticism (and rightly so IMO). For more shooters they need to get away from the real world, and going back in time isn't going to help much as it'll either be too close to home or before guns were being effectively used, losing the whole Shooter part of the game! That leaves SciFi I think, and it's not like there aren't enough of those either! Personally I think the shooter genre has far too much emphasis, but if they keep selling then they'll keep being produced.

Visually, what impressed me with the vid was the amount of background activity. There's a definitive sense of all this warring going on around the player.

Am I the only one that hates the HDR and DOF? I'm not trolling since I'll probably get it for 360 if I get it but it hurts my eyes following everything on screen.

Im a sucker for HDR, i love the atmosphere it creates (HL2 Ep.1). DOF is something, to my acquired taste that needs to be implemented with subtlety (Zelda: WW, well thats the only thing that came to mind).

DOF makes no sense in a shooter where you're aiming into tthe distance. In real life you'd focus on the distance so what you're aiming at is clear. If in the game they've DOF'd it out, it's counter-intuitive. Unless you have eyeball monitoring to determine where a lplayer is looking and focus on that point, DOF shouldn't be used in any game where you are looking into the distance.

The multiplayer is expanded.

Up to 24 players

7 classes

Rifleman = Rifle Grenades
Light & Heavy Assault = Anti-personel mines
Support & Anti Armor support = Drop ammuntion for squad mates
Scout = call in artillery strikes
Medic = Heal

Different vehicles like a jeep, tank, and mortorcycle with side car.

Various online game modes

Headquarters
War
Team Battle
Capture the Flag
Single Flag Capture the Flag

7 classes
I see someone's been looking at RtCW/ET... ;)

Anyway, 24 players in this game, 32 in warhawk etc... Good to see publishers emphasizing mass multiplayer gaming, that's so cool. I love a good Wolf game with many people running around all over the place! :)

smoke... preeeeetty.... *_*

otherwise, it looked just like fing CoD 1. in fact, it looked like they re-created the same scene. XD oh well. definitely looks nicer, just not particularly different. I'm not against killing Nazis. It's a hobby. But I'd like some different GUNS. the Sten is so boring. and maybe some different environs? I sort of miss the old school WW2 dogfighter/bomber games. I'll probably get this... but I can't picture controlling it with a Wii. Maybe using the GC controller? Of course, I'll get it for PC anyway. Shooters + Gamepads = Ulcers. :p

Edit: btw, i have to agree that Activision seems to make a lot of right moves lately. I know it's been a long process, but I really feel like they rose from the ashes to resume their rightful place in [American, at least, if not everywhere] gaming. They've been my favorite publisher, off and on, since I was like, 5. ^^;

Last edited by a moderator:
Im a sucker for HDR, i love the atmosphere it creates (HL2 Ep.1). DOF is something, to my acquired taste that needs to be implemented with subtlety (Zelda: WW, well thats the only thing that came to mind).
The HDR can look really good if and isn't really a problem on a level like this, but everything looks blurry witht the DOF.

The HDR can look really good if and isn't really a problem on a level like this, but everything looks blurry witht the DOF.

I see a slight blur when you switch from the gun being raised to the iron sight aim postion, which is realistic. It takes a second for your eyes to adjust. I think it looks awesome.

I'm not understanding the "everything" blurry comment.

I see a slight blur when you switch from the gun being raised to the iron sight aim postion, which is realistic. It takes a second for your eyes to adjust. I think it looks awesome.

I'm not understanding the "everything" blurry comment.
cause the computer focuses on one part that your eyes may not be looking at. Haven't you ever just wandered around in an FPS?

The blue X where it says "Press X to pick up the Frag Grenade ammo" does look more like the Xbox360 X than the Dualshock X.

Aside from the smoke and some post processing effects, it looks most like like COD2 to me. But then I played the PC version on a high end PC not the 360 version.

Back