Final PS3 Dev Kit and Menu Video

Wow, the dev kits look much sleeker than the older ones (metallic silver boxes).

They actually look like consumer devices. Does anyone know (or allowed) to divulge the final specs of these things? 3.2 GHz? Fully speced?

Are these machines quiet or wind tunnel equivalents?

Last edited by a moderator:
why that ? devkits dont come with a sony screen you know

final ps3's are already out in the wild, why wouldnt it be fully speced?

I don't know. I've been so out of the loop preparing for my Master's defence. I haven't been keeping up. It's good to see that progress is being made, especially for the dev kits.

I'm really interested in the functions of that friends subheading which we have yet to be shown in detail. Supposedly it's for an in-game messenger, seeing what you friends are doing, and weather you want to voice/video chat with them. I wonder if video/voice chatting is enabled while your inside of a game, especially if you and youre friend(s) are in two different games. (or if one is in a game, and one is inside the regular menu).

I really wish we had a video of the GDC phil harrison keynote where he was talking about the whole friends list inside formula 07.

http://web.mac.com/clc1986/iWeb/Site/Photos_files/117465113_24b5bd80bc_o.jpg
http://web.mac.com/clc1986/iWeb/Site/Photos_files/117465107_5b1f48c030_o.jpg
http://web.mac.com/clc1986/iWeb/Site/Photos_files/117465109_f099be54ae_o.jpg
http://web.mac.com/clc1986/iWeb/Site/Photos_files/117465116_d354cbeaaa_o.jpg

why that ?
Because Samsung are partnering XB360 and that same HDTV is used in XB360 kiosks, whereas I expect Sony TV's to be used in PS3 displays.
devkits dont come with a sony screen you know
Obviously not, and if they did there wouldn't be any irony :mrgreen:
Some people are still wanting confirmation the specs haven't changed, and what's 'final' now isn't different to the targets posted eighteen months ago on which there haven't been any updates. Though no-one's going to comment on the final specs, it would be nice to know the GPU speed, for example, and whether that has changed.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152911

Strange that the dev kit did not have the tilt functionality yet. I wonder if many devs still don't have the latest version of the controler at this late stage in the game.
I wonder if Sony is working on implementing another surprise feature on the controller:
IGN - Additionally, Starbreeze is also looking into taking advantage of the PS3's tilt controller and is considering some possible changes with another feature we can't talk about yet.
This is an excerpt from an interview for The Darkness over at IGN that went up two days ago, but it appears that the entire interview has since been removed. How mysterious. Did IGN give out too much info by referring to a secret PS3 feature.

Originally in the context of the interview I assumed they were referring to a feature that the X360 lacked. But now I see where it's possible they may have been trying not to reveal information yet to be announced by Sony. So it's possible Sony has decided to add vibration back into the controller.

Hey, rumors have to start somewhere. :p

-aldo

I wonder if Sony is working on implementing another surprise feature on the controller:
This is an excerpt from an interview for The Darkness over at IGN that went up two days ago, but it appears that the entire interview has since been removed. How mysterious. Did IGN give out too much info by referring to a secret PS3 feature.

Originally in the context of the interview I assumed they were referring to a feature that the X360 lacked. But now I see where it's possible they may have been trying not to reveal information yet to be announced by Sony. So it's possible Sony has decided to add vibration back into the controller.

Hey, rumors have to start somewhere. :p

-aldo

That could explain why immersion is quite all of a sudden :???:

I heard a rumour that the PS3 GUI is multitask and you can navigate between different Windows using a Exposé like function (for who don´t know what is Expose is a feature in OS X since OS X 10.3 that puts all your windows in small form in the same screen and you can select where you can navigate, is activated pressing a button) and I want to know if this is true.

I heard a rumour that the PS3 GUI is multitask and you can navigate between different Windows using a Exposé like function (for who don´t know what is Expose is a feature in OS X since OS X 10.3 that puts all your windows in small form in the same screen and you can select where you can navigate, is activated pressing a button) and I want to know if this is true.

There's a feature like that in the browser. You can zoom out to view your browser windows, zoom into one, scroll between them etc.

ps3browserlf3.jpg

Vid here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDqlNQf_nNo

You can see where they're using a quite a bit of resources to add 'slick' to the interfaces. You've got full screen scaling in that browser for one. Then in the F1 images badboy linked to, you can see a blur effecton the game graphics underneath the interface. I think the slick does add a good sense of quality to the whole experience. I hope the add EyeToy interfacing with everything! It'd be more intuitive I think to press a menu button and then navigate with arm motions rather than old the controller buttons. Or I guess they could use the controller as a mouse using tilt. Tabbing through web elements is a bit of a faff and I wouldn't want the entry level experience with the nice interfaces to be lumped with such a clumsy interfacing.

Its a sexy piece of kit, im jelous of nAo and DeanoC because they have one to play around with and we dont :(

Looks like Sony has the size of the dev kit well under control. That should quelch all the fan*** ranting. Anyhow, looks like a PC... maybe Sony should be calling the PS3 the PC3 :cool:

looks spiffy....for a dev kit. lol
I think it looks spiffy, period. :) I am really excited for PS3, I think it's gonna be a monster piece of kit.

Note that the devkit retains the 6 USB ports shown on the E3 '05 version. Or well, sort of retains, since that PS3 was just a mockup, hah. I really like how the current PS3 grew a couple cm on every dimension, especially thickness. It gives the console real weight, IMO - no pun intended, because I do know it's supposed to be heavy, hah.

Further in regards to the devkit - are those two doors on the front dual harddrive bays? I'd say they look like it! They seem (hot)swappable also. Also, what do all those LEDs do, both those dual rows and the ones next to the power/eject button? What is the round connector to the left of the USB ports for?

So many questions, so little infos! :D

Back