X360 HD-DVD Addon $200 (digitimes.com)

I'd like to know what kinds of features comes with a $200.00 HD-DVD add on player?......HDMI, 1080P, Upres. DVD's,..etc.

And how much is being done on the X360?

I see, I thought you were comparing the HD-DVD+360 to PS3. Not HD-DVD vs PS3. Makes sense if you already have a 360. Sorry about that.

Not everything is PS3 vs. Xbox 360 ;)

I was posting to some fanbois earlier today about how the PS3 does not have a "tard" version. It makes a lot of sense--if you are a consumer who wants next gen video games and are convinced about BluRay. And regardless of the trials BR currently has Sony will easily have 10-15M units installed by the end of 2007. Even if only 10% of PS3 consumers buy/want BR media, that is over 1M consumers. Toshiba/HD DVD are going to have a VERY difficult time getting 1M units installed at the $500 price tag!

Yet people need to take their head out of the sand on the other side of the fence as well: If I own an Xbox 360 -- which many bought based on the fact of its gaming potential as is / pre-HD DVD announcements -- the $200 HD DVD addon is a steal.

End of discussion. If you can get a HD DVD player for $500 or get a HD DVD player for $200, which is the better deal for the price conscious shopper?

The consumers MS is targetting already own Xbox 360's. There is no hookie math "$399 Xbox 360 + $200 HD DVD + $100 (WiFi) etc". True, some undecided consumers may be doing that sort of math, but I think the main point is:

1. The core console is cheaper because it is not standard
2. Those who want it can get a great deal, relative to standalone HD DVD unit cost, for a significant discount

And at this point, based on the quality of the video coming out of Hollywood, there are consumers who are looking at HD DVD instead of BluRay, so any math about "But you can get a BluRay player on the PS3 for cheaper" kind of goes out the window to them. But for others, who are sold on BluRay, the opposite is true.

Ah the complexities of consumer choice.

I'd like to know what kinds of features comes with a $200.00 HD-DVD add on player?......HDMI, 1080P, Upres. DVD's,..etc.

No HDMI, No 1080p, DVD upsampling via VGA. Connects to the 360 via USB, and uses a seperate power cord. Has an internal USB hub which provides two additional USB ports, and has the clips to support the wireless adapter. Supports all 360 guide functions, etc. while playing a movie, including iHD pip support, and seemless switching between gaming and playback. All processing done on 360 (CPU w/ GPU assist). When asked directly about the 360's ability to support VC1, AVC, and MPEG2 at HD-DVD peak bit rates (which apparently is a problem on some PC based Blu-Ray players and unknown wtr to the PS3),
Amir said:
"Yes, it will be compliant with the peak rate of all codecs, including 60i decode which requires even more CPU cycles than 24p. There are no dedicated hardware for this functionality. We use the main processing cores plus the GPU as appropriate (you may have seen or press release with ATI on the latter). We will also have the full compliment of audio codecs per spec. And of course, support things like PiP and high performance iHD rendering."

Most likely you'll get 1080p (I'm not sure if that even).

So basically;

To get a premium X360 to a $599 PS3's level, you'd need

Base premium Console = $399
HD-DVD = $200
Media card reader = $ ????
Wifi Adapter = $???
Missing 40 Gigs = $ ????
Missing HDMI = $ ???

Total = $ sum of ??? with 599....

Another comparison would be by comparing the basic Ps3 at $499 with the 360 Premium + HD-DVD + harddrive.

Either way, in terms of value, it seems the Ps3 skus have the upper hand.

Will this drive be able to read the promised triple layer HD-DVD ?

triple layer is not in the hd-dvd specs, but all current hd-dvd players (which all use the nec drive) are capable of reading it

hd-dvd should draft it into spec while they still can

Most likely you'll get 1080p (I'm not sure if that even).

So basically;

To get a premium X360 to a $599 PS3's level, you'd need

Base premium Console = $399
HD-DVD = $200
Wifi Adapter = $???
Missing 40 Gigs = $ ????
Missing HDMI = $ ???

Total = $ sum of ??? with 599....

Another comparison would be by comparing the basic Ps3 at $499 with the 360 Premium + HD-DVD + harddrive.

Either way, in terms of value, it seems the Ps3 skus have the upper hand.

Yah, you have a point here, but I think you went overboard including Wifi and HDMI math there.

Just taking the HD media alone into consideration, this HD-DVD add on is only cheap to the current 360 owners (which is limiting IMO). For those thinking of getting an HD gaming rig setup, come November 06 and beyond, Joe Blow will see the math as 399+199 (360) ~= 599 (PS3), making the decision making process not as clear cut.

I see somewhere down the line a discounted bundling, but initially (assuming this rumour true, or is this true?), there is nothing differentiating the 360 apart from the PS3 anymore, if the HD media is taken into consideration.

On my perspective as a potential HD gamer, suddenly, the PS3 doesn't look all that expensive.

Here's the thing:

Wifi Adapter = $???
Missing 40 Gigs = $ ????
Missing HDMI = $ ???

These are worth nothing to me. The 40gb would be nice, but 20 is fine for now, and the ideal solution is to use the 400gb I have on my PC. Any meaningful video collection will exceed 60GB very quickly. Right now I use my 360 to access over 200gb of video's, wifi's performance sucks compared to wired, why I would want a multi-card reader on my console is beyond me, and HDMI? :rolleyes:

The PS3 has always been a good deal if you are interested in being an early adopter for HD movies. It's not so great when all you want to do is play games, though in Canada it's only an extra $50 so it's really not bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are worth nothing to me. The 40gb would be nice, but 20 is fine for now, and the ideal solution is to use the 400gb I have on my PC. Any meaningful video collection will exceed 60GB very quickly. Right now I use my 360 to access over 200gb of video's, wifi's performance sucks compared to wired, why I would want a multi-card reader on my console is beyond me, and HDMI? :rolleyes:

Ok, so its not worth anything to you. It doesn't mean those things are automatically useless to people who intend to

-use the extra space to download demos, other games, trailers, more game content (ie levels)
-people who don't have a media/computer server for their videos and are planning to use the PS3's wifi to play games over the net or surf the net...etc. I don't think I even have to list any more
-don't have a card reader on their Tv and want to use one on their PS3 to look at a quick slideshow of things they took on their camera, listen to some MP3s they stored on their PSP or DS lite, I don't know....perhaps PSP game save stuff...
-HDMI - for the all-important HDCP support...I mean, we can't have all forgotten the flack Sony got for not including it on the lower end model. But suddenly now that 360's aren't going to have it either its worth nothing too I guess. Its just something else that I think goes against comparing the Premium Ps3 with 360 + toys.

My point is that those are features that make it unreasonable to compare this new 360 "deal" with the hi-end PS3 even though its the same pricepoint no matter how unimportant or useless those features may seem to certain individuals.

We haven't even gotten around to mentioning the possibility of using Bluetooth headsets for gaming and other accessories yet...

The PS3 has always been a good deal if you are interested in being an early adopter for HD movies. It's not so great when all you want to do is play games, though in Canada it's only an extra $50 so it's really not bad.

Well, I think the Bluetooth / Wifi things can enhance the gaming experience. If you have a wireless network you won't have to route wires to play online...plus wireless headsets...

Extra $50? How so?

Well, I think the Bluetooth / Wifi things can enhance the gaming experience. If you have a wireless network you won't have to route wires to play online...plus wireless headsets...

they will still need to produce (and sell) a wireless headset... just like the X360 is offering soon.

The 360 2.4ghz tech is also very similar to Bluetooth.

If Amir is right, the add-on should do quite well. The main advantage of HD DVD is being able to use VC1 and having low bit rates which will require less raw power to process. XML coded iHD should also be less resource hungry than BD-J/BD-Live so that could also help. What this means is you want to be able to watch a HD DVD on the 360 without slow menus/interactivity, dropped frames, stuttering etc....

As for 1080p. If your brand spanking new TV is doing true 1080P it'll easily take the source material which is stored at 1080P/24 and display it at 1080P. You'll be really really hard pressed to find any differences between a 1080P output from the player or a 1080i. Now if the source material stored on the disc was 1080i, I'd agree, it's a bad deal but it's not. If your TV can do 1080P, you'll see the 1080 lines of resolution that's are on the disc.

I hope that clears it up for some, if not, happy reading:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/blu-ray_2.htm

Anyone know why the HD DVD drive for the 360 is so big? Does it have a built in power supply?

Just seems a lot larger than your average internal PC drive.

Anyone know why the HD DVD drive for the 360 is so big? Does it have a built in power supply?

Just seems a lot larger than your average internal PC drive.

Maybe because its external? Its fairly average size of an external drive. The cases are always overly big.

Maybe because its EXTERNAL? Its fairly average size of an external drive. The cases are always overly big.
Most likely.
My dvd burner I use for my pc is external(for personal choices-- I can swap in my ps2 drive fairly easy being external...and it keeps my pc case cleaner), and is only a tiny bit smaller than the HD-DVD addon. The case the drive is in makes the drive a bigger than it actually is.

anyone know if this will be able to connect to the pc like their controllers?

I seriously doubt it. Everything I've read seemed to indicate that drive requires the Xbox 360 CPU and GPU to do all the work. Plus, I doubt Microsoft is going to write Windows drivers to support it.

Tommy McClain

Back