Projet offset comming to Xbox 360

That woulnd´t make any sense on why the are looking for 360 programmers...
Doesn't sound very sensible. Especially when they've licensed UE3. Have they had a change of heart?

Though in this report, SOE talk of games for PC and next-gen consoles
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=10163

What are the chances of some games being cross-platform, especially of the subscription based MMO variety? If you think of SOE as similar to Sony BMG music, they're a content company. Their job is primarily to make money creating games, in contrast to the likes of SCEWW which also has a job to promote the console. Just as Sony BMG artists are available on rival platforms to CONNECT, it's not implausible for a software developer to want to reach a larger market. If so, the lack of advertisement for PS3 devs would be because SOE would provide them, whereas they don't have their own XB360 developers. Now are SOE's hands tied from on high regards the platforms they're allowed to support, or are they allowed freedom in their own development policy?

Oh middleware engines are very very important. I just wanted to point out that plenty of games today are also being made without them. You guys for example.
Actually I thought that Ninja Theory guys are using Havok physics engine, so they are using some kind of middleware.

I think mckmass was thinking full engines though, hence the deliberate use of the word 'engine'. Middleware in the form of libraries is bound to feature in every game. You can't write from the ground up every single bit of code!

Ive just checked the Project Offset forums and apparantly there rumour is that SOE is the publisher :eek:

That was based on a blog entry about buying a game studio. But that might be that card game developers that will be their new Denver Studio.

MS does not usually sign that small and unproven gamedevs.. time will tell.

Info that they would have to look for X360-programmers is kinda odd if MGS is the publisher.

Last edited by a moderator:
MS does not usually sign that small and unproven gamedevs.. time will tell.
Well, not anymore, no they don't. They got out of that phase after a couple years of sagging 1st and 2nd party quality. Now they do little of that, and all of it is targetted at XBLA (where it makes more sense anyway).

Info that they would have to look for X360-programmers is kinda odd if MGS is the publisher.
MS does throw lots of people at projects from the publishing side, but they don't throw enough to enable a 10 person team make an AAA game.

didn't they make a game before, I think it was a indie game but it got rave reviews
From the PO website, they spent 2 years creating indie game Savage
http://savage2.s2games.com/media.php?t=m

My first look of this game, and you can see PO is a progression of what they were doing there. Savage is kinda Morrowindy in look. Or perhaps more Untold Legends, but better quality than what the PS3 looks set to get! The shadowing looks very effective in the grass.

A fantasy Battlefield eh? Sounds interesting, but sadly I don't have much excitement for new studios. But sometimes, sometimes they do surprise. Lets hope this is the case.

Back