New Wii footage

Both look dull, boring and outdated. Sorry

Not impressed at all, looks like N64 graphics and gameplay. Totally outdated look and feel.

But this is my opinion only.

Not impressed at all, looks like N64 graphics and gameplay. Totally outdated look and feel.

But this is my opinion only.

I think you overestimate how well N64 looked :)...

No, seriously: Although, the video is very low quality, I guess we can all agree that the airplane game looks very unimpressive.
Elebits actually looks better and more interesting than I thought it would. I probably wouldn't buy it, but I could see that some people might.
Red Steel looks OK to good in my book. Turning left and right seems a little bit slow indeed, but stuff like that should easily be fixable in the timespan from E3 (where the videos were made) till release

I started getting sympathy pains in my arm watching that elebits video. I think you can hear the person playing it swear a couple of times too. Looks horrendously trying.

The plane demo didn't look to have any advantage to being controlled with the new remote. If anything it looked difficult to control. I've recently been playing some crimson skies, and find the old controller S more than adequate, even with it's rather nutty 'fly through hoops in a canyon' challenges :)

As for red steel. Well, the secret of a good light gun is good weight and balance imo. So lets hope the wii gets it right.

The wrist isn't meant for the kinds of movement these games seem to be requiring.
I hope I'm wrong but I just can't see myself playing these types of games more than a few minutes.

Sigh.

Last edited by a moderator:
We should probably remember that these videos are from E3 -- there was no possibility there to sit down and rest the wrist on your leg or something for stabilization.

We should probably remember that these videos are from E3 -- there was no possibility there to sit down and rest the wrist on your leg or something for stabilization.
Isn't the whole point of the Wiimote plus nunchuck combo to make games easier to play, more accessible?
Personaly, I'm still not convinced that it makes FPS any easier to play, but then again, let's wait for the release of Metroid Prime, in its final version, to see how good the Wii control scheme is with FPS.

Isn't the whole point of the Wiimote plus nunchuck combo to make games easier to play, more accessible?

Sure, but I don't think people expect or want to stand up all the time while playing (except for games like golf or tennis, where you can relax your arms inbetween gestures). Why would anyone want to stand to play a game like Elebits?

Personaly, I'm still not convinced that it makes FPS any easier to play, but then again, let's wait for the release of Metroid Prime, in its final version, to see how good the Wii control scheme is with FPS.

While it might not be as good as mouse and keyboard, it can no way be worse than the horrible dual analog config... Especially the learning curve should be much lower. Of course, wait and see is a sensible approach, as always.

A very worthwhile link. Thanks hupfinsgack.

Graphically, trying to read between the bad-compression lines, games look more advanced than just GC1.5. Elebits has quite a bit pf physics and showed the potential of combining physics with physical guestures. I'm not sure the game would be much fun, but for potential I think it bodes well for future games. Red Steel showed some nice effects graphically too.

I didn't understand the Warioware Smooth Moves. Was that a demo, or the actual game? As a game it'd give me a headache I think, with miniscule and inane activities - opening a lock with a virtual key is a game?! It did show different ways to use the Wiimote, and I hope that's what it was intended to show as a demo!

The plane game I couldn't figure out how it related to the Wiimote. On the occassions the Wiimote popped into view, it seemed to be being held cross the hand rather than along it, and controlled as though the wings of the plane. But the movements didn't seem to correlate.

This really runs into the key concern for the Wii - how does it control? Red Steel's camera movements seemed very rough and as an FPS it didn't seem to benefit from the Wiimote. The sword-fighting also looked rather stiff, but IIRC they've changed the sword-fighting since E3. Some of the Wario Ware moves looked a little rough too, and then some looked very smooth and well controlled.

I don't think there's any two ways about it. Wii is going to be something one has to try, and myself, I would want some long exposure before buying. I can imagine the controller feeling quite awkward on occassions along with the endurance concerns.

Sure, but I don't think people expect or want to stand up all the time while playing (except for games like golf or tennis, where you can relax your arms inbetween gestures). Why would anyone want to stand to play a game like Elebits?
If stnading were an issue, wouldn't game players have the same complaints when standing to play other console games on traditional standing booths with traditional controllers?

I started getting sympathy pains in my arm watching that elebits video. I think you can hear the person playing it swear a couple of times too. Looks horrendously trying.
I'm looking forward to elebits, so hopefully they fix a couple issues. Having to use pinpoint-accurate aiming looks tedious. But mostly, stop with that awful sound effect. If the focus of the game is to use that beam-thing, and I'm using it 90% of the time, for god's sake don't make the sound effect for it screechingly annoying. I actually had to stop watching the video, given the frustrating controls and the sound.

While it might not be as good as mouse and keyboard, it can no way be worse than the horrible dual analog config... Especially the learning curve should be much lower. Of course, wait and see is a sensible approach, as always.

I agree with the last sentence, but not with the others. I like playing fps-games with X360 pad, even more than I like K/M eventhough it is not as accurate, but it's more fun. What I have seen so far about the Wii-mote I must say that I think it can be worse for fps-games than good pad and I even expect it to be. I'm going to give it a try, but I'm not expecting much. Overall I'm not too sure I'm happy about trading traditional controller for Wii-mote and if I'm trading pad and gfx for Wii-mote, I honestly think it's not very good trade-off.

Red Steel looks pretty good and I'm interested in that.

A very worthwhile link. Thanks hupfinsgack.

Graphically, trying to read between the bad-compression lines, games look more advanced than just GC1.5. Elebits has quite a bit pf physics and showed the potential of combining physics with physical guestures. I'm not sure the game would be much fun, but for potential I think it bodes well for future games. Red Steel showed some nice effects graphically too.

Graphically for me those games seems to just use what GC already can do and just a higher quality tex and a better use of EMBM.

But the physics on the elebits is way over what we seen before, from what I have seen in others videos too there is a lot (at least a few dozens) of object you can interact with (although sometimes they seems strange) and from what the devs say complex AI it is hard to say anything from the animation but I would say it is a good signal from what to expect from Wii if they can translate it to more complex games (FPS, RTS...) although this games seems to be more complex than one would thought at the first time we see it..

The plane game I couldn't figure out how it related to the Wiimote. On the occassions the Wiimote popped into view, it seemed to be being held cross the hand rather than along it, and controlled as though the wings of the plane. But the movements didn't seem to correlate.

If I recall/figured it correctly you just point (like in RS) the direction you want the plane to go, really simple.

This really runs into the key concern for the Wii - how does it control? Red Steel's camera movements seemed very rough and as an FPS it didn't seem to benefit from the Wiimote. The sword-fighting also looked rather stiff, but IIRC they've changed the sword-fighting since E3. Some of the Wario Ware moves looked a little rough too, and then some looked very smooth and well controlled.

I guess it will take time and some trial and error, in MP3 it seems quite good.

If that is representational of what will be shown in the retail Wii kiosks sitting right next to the 360 and PS3 kiosks Nintendo is in trouble.

If that is representational of what will be shown in the retail Wii kiosks sitting right next to the 360 and PS3 kiosks Nintendo is in trouble.

I doubt that for no gamers the diference will be noted as being a inferior thing but probably just as diferent (art direction), maybe in a very few special cases it can happen.

If stnading were an issue, wouldn't game players have the same complaints when standing to play other console games on traditional standing booths with traditional controllers?

Well, I personally feel slightly cramped after a few minutes of playing on a gamepad while standing. It's just nothing I (or anybody else) would complain about, simply because it's obviously meant to be used while sitting and resting your hands on your knees or something.

The Wiimote might worsen this because you have to move your wrist instead of just your fingers, but after trying it with my stereo remote while sitting, I don't see much of a problem...
I also can't imagine that Nintendo didn't do a thorough ergonomic study of the Wiimote, and wouldn't notice if your arm gets tired after few minutes of use.

I doubt that for no gamers the diference will be noted as being a inferior thing but probably just as diferent (art direction), maybe in a very few special cases it can happen.

Between a $300 console showing Gears of War, and a $250 console showing that Pilotwings, people are very likely to notice the difference, and see those Wii graphics as noticably inferior.

[Moderated]

I'm about to watch the Elebits and Red Steel videos, but I already caught the Wii Airplane video earlier.

Two things:

A. The graphics aren't "Gears of War" good, but they're certainly a lot more than GCN can push. I can't tell if the game is 30fps or 60fps, but AFAIK Nintendo is trying to maintain 60 in most of their titles. Even at 30, the draw distance and the trees are at least mildly impressive. Also, remember that the "Wii" brand games (Wii Sports, etc) are going for simplicity in all aspects.

B. Wii Airplane looks fun. The player actually comments that it's very fun. It intrigued me as I watched... that's for sure. And that's what the Wii is all about.

Edit: Watched the other 2 videos. Thoughts:

Red Steel: Clearly needs control tweaks. Sensitivity, whatever. Perhaps it'll be in the options menu. Graphically, it looks alright. Not mind-blowing but better than pretty much any FPS on GameCube, except perhaps Metroid Prime 2.

Elebits: This game's graphics are deceptively bad. Simplistic, stylistic... but seemingly realistic as well. (taking the physics/interaction into account)

Last edited by a moderator:
B. Wii Airplane looks fun. The player actually comments that it's very fun. It intrigued me as I watched... that's for sure. And that's what the Wii is all about.

How many Nintendo systems have you owned?

Just curious because the Wii is supposed to attract new fans, not just make their existing fanbase happy.

I also can't imagine that Nintendo didn't do a thorough ergonomic study of the Wiimote, and wouldn't notice if your arm gets tired after few minutes of use.

Who says they didn't notice?

Try this. Grab a TV remote, hold it in your hand like the Wii controller, and then simulate playing the tennis game for 15 minutes. I doubt Nintendo failed to notice how your arm feels after doing that, they simply didn't care.

Back