ATI no more

Not really surprising. ATI is probably too entrenched in peoples mind to be successfully changed into only a brand name. While they'd obviously want to leverage as much brand recognition as they can, for the platform integration approach to work AMD need their customers to think of the whole package as an AMD platform, not a combined AMD + ATI platform.

Will be funny if we end up seeing AMD branded motherboards for Conroes, or even worse AMD branded mobo and crossfire for Core Duo, esp if its the fastest solution come Xmas.

TBH I'm fairly confident that whoever wrote the article misunderstood what the AMD rep said - true, the company name ATI will be dropped, but I'm sure they'll still use the ATI brand name, as in ATI Radeon, with AMD logo/name somewhere on the box in more minor role.

I personally would be delighted to see such names like Radeon and GeForce disappear. I'd like to know who came up with those abominations in the first place.

"The new company will be called AMD." NOT "hey guys we're throwing away the ATI name and logo because it sucks." This is the same thing we've known since the beginning. The ATI brand name will still exist.

I think some ppl are too caried away by something that doesn't matter, it's just a logo, an image! It's not the design logo or color that makes their products good.

This reminds me of when Sammy took over SEGA. There were rumors and fears that the SEGA name would no longer exist even as a brand. We see that SEGA as an entity exists along with Sega Sammy. The moral of the story is that the ATI brand name is too strong to deart from. Why waste a good thing when they can milk it for all its worth while stil putting the AMD logo right along side the ATI one?

I think some ppl are too caried away by something that doesn't matter, it's just a logo, an image! It's not the design logo or color that makes their products good.
But it's symbolic. It has an emotional association. That's why brands are successful in the first place.

Wouldn't suprise me if you could buy an AMD Radeon GPU in the near future :rolleyes:

ATI is recognized brand on graphics markets, AMD is not, they won't sacrifice the name, in near future (3+ years minimum).
I'm fairly sure even the chipsets will sport ATI name rather than AMD

Back