Poll : XB360 owners. Are you getting HDDVD addon?

What is your interest in the HDVD addon - for XB360 owners only

• Own an HDTV, will get HDDVD addon

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • Own an HDTV, will wait and see which format prevails

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Own an HDTV, don't care for HD movies

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • Don't own HDTV, will get HDDVD addon now and HDTV later

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Don't own HDTV, plan to get HDDVD addon when do

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Don't own HDTV, will see what format prevails

Votes: 18 16.1%

• Total voters

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
From the other thread, I thought it worth getting what market analysis we can on who owns an HDTV and who's interested in the HDDVD addon.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I mentioned in the other thread, I already have an HD A1, so MS will have to show me a reason to buy the add-on. After listening to the most recent MN podcast, I stll haven't heard anything that blows me away, save the faster loading times for movies which IS a plus. The podcast did answer some of my questions regarding how it would integrate, so from that aspect its interesting. I'm going to be buying another HDTV soon, so I imagine the A1 could go in the bedroom and the addon can stay in the living room, so, as it stands now, yes, I will buy one.

As an aside: I'm starting to calculate this holiday buying season :oops:, I hope I have enough left over for everyone elses xmas presents, :p

Perhaps....

But first I am waiting to see what deals I can swing this holiday season for the purchase of an HDTV.

The only issue I have at the moment is that I am already trapped into a complete DVD solution meaning I need to be able to watch the movies purchased not only at home but also in the van when on long trips. Have to keep those kids entertained for those 10hr days. If I start pruchasing HD-DVD's then I am limiting myself to watching only at home.

Oh and I am not crazy enough to allow the XBox 360 to come along for a rideon the van as there are too many horry stories of disk damage when the console is moved in any way.

I really really don't want to end up with a mixed library of HD and BR discs. I'll probably wait at least until this time next year before I start collecting discs.

Since I probably will pick up a PS3 at launch, if there is a BR title that is very hot I might pick it up. But as far as actually building a library I can wait.

Voted that I'll get one, but with one very large assumption, that the add-on is price competetive. I think it needs to be below 200. Otherwise, I'll hold off until the stand-alone players (either format) become price competitive.

That's a list of bad options. I have the 360 & will do none of what's listed above for my movies, HD/Blu-Ray or not.

As a movie buff I'm going to buy a dedicated player; one that won't be so loud while turned on. This applies to both the 360 poll & the PS3 poll. You should have thought of that when putting these polls together Shifty.

You should have thought of that when putting these polls together Shifty.
An oversight on my part. Sorry I'm not perfect. It appears I can't amend the poll to add a 'will stick to dedicated player' option.

The only way I would buy the add-on drive is if it's also PC compatible, and then only because I could connect it to my laptop and use it as a portable HD movie player for my daughter when we go on vacations.

Voted that I'll get one, but with one very large assumption, that the add-on is price competetive. I think it needs to be below 200. Otherwise, I'll hold off until the stand-alone players (either format) become price competitive.

Good point - If it's cheap enough I'd change my vote from "hdtv waiting" to purchase hd-dvd add-on and (mostly) rent until the format is decided.

Both polls need the "getting or already have a standalone player" option.

I was going to wait to check out the hd dvd addon, but then decided that the 360 fans noise just aren't good for movie watching. So I ordered the Toshiba hd dvd player.

I'm going to take advantage of the fact I haven't spent any money on an HD format, and wait to see which format prevails. The last thing I want is to be stuck with a bunch of obselete movies.

Sometime in later 07 I think that will be fairly evident, and then Ill either buy the HD-DVD add-on, or wait until I buy a PS3 for BR movies. Depnding on the old cash flow that might be until 2008.

caveat - of course if they launch the ad-on at say... $150 I might just say screw it and buy one

Kudos for giving it a try though, invariably there's always "the missing option" in all these polls.
Yep! I was thinking of the subject from the console POV, and thus overlooked the standalone movie options which at first glance don't seem relevant to consoles, but are important to see the trends in buyers that affects this side of consoles. Still, the info gleaned so far is quite informative I think, taking into account all the usual caveats. Certainly looking at the PS3 thread, the inclusion of BRD is going to result in a BRD user base, even if customers don't own HD sets yet. In contrast we see here the HDDVD addon is much more a wait-and-see device. Roughly speaking, from these results so far, 1/3rd XB360 owners will translate to HDDVD sales, and 2/3rd PS3 owners will be buying BRDs.

Roughly speaking, from these results so far, 1/3rd XB360 owners will translate to HDDVD sales, and 2/3rd PS3 owners will be buying BRDs.

Yeah, if you assume the rest of the world is as techno-geeky as this place is.

"...taking into account all the usual caveats..."

Yes, but the question is, do you consider the fact that the vast majority of gamers probably don't care either way as part of your "usual caveats"?

I mean, it took 6 years for DVD to outsell VHS. Clearly the adoption rate of new technology in the general public will be far, far slower than anything you find here. If we were to use this site as a baseline you would end up with the expectations that the PS3 will sell 200+ million systems and 140+ million of them would buy Bluray movies when the quality is a bit better, all within a 2-3 year timespan.

Yep! I was thinking of the subject from the console POV, and thus overlooked the standalone movie options which at first glance don't seem relevant to consoles, but are important to see the trends in buyers that affects this side of consoles. Still, the info gleaned so far is quite informative I think, taking into account all the usual caveats. Certainly looking at the PS3 thread, the inclusion of BRD is going to result in a BRD user base, even if customers don't own HD sets yet. In contrast we see here the HDDVD addon is much more a wait-and-see device. Roughly speaking, from these results so far, 1/3rd XB360 owners will translate to HDDVD sales, and 2/3rd PS3 owners will be buying BRDs.

In the case of HD-DVD, i think the "stand alone" use case is far more important due to the low(er) cost of the stand-alone players.

For me, a coupon, and a few BestBuy gift cards and i got into a HD-DVD player for around $300. $450 is low enough for some people to consider, even without the cheaper 360 alternative. Whereas on the BR side, from a cost standpoint, there isnt a compelling stand-alone alternative to the PS3.

So the whole HD-movie breakdown will probably skew more towards stand alone for HD-DVD than for BR. If the Toshiba stand alone player was $1k, i'd be buying the 360 add-on but for $500 (plus some discounts) i can have a stand alone player and have it NOW.

In the end, my assumption is that it will take 2-3x the amount of PS3 users to buy the same amount of HD movies as a stand alone BR or HD-DVD player owner, whereas a 360 HD-DVD owner will probably buy nearly the same amount of movies as a stand alone player owner. I say nearly only because in that case (the 360 case) you KNOW theyre splitting theyre disposable income and free time between games and movies, with the stand-alone owners they may be spending both on movies only.

Yes, but the question is, do you consider the fact that the vast majority of gamers probably don't care either way as part of your "usual caveats"?
It doesn't particularly matter in the case of Format A vs Format B. Even if DVD remains the best selling movie format for the next five years, for the future of HD formats, if it's to go with only one format, that's likely to be the format with the most disc sales, no? And that's likely to be the format with the largest installed base of movie players, no? Regarding standalone players, if sales of those are far below sales of consoles, and consoles can play HD movies, than the size of the console base will represent the size of the format base. eg. If there's 300,00 standalone HDDVD players sold by March next year, 150,000 standalone BRD players, 10 million XB360s and 5 million PS3s, the size of the standalone player market is next to irrelvant. Are standalone players likely to outnumber consoles when on the whole they cost a lot more? I wouldn't have thought so.

By my reckoning the console base seems to be the place where the next-gen movie format is decided. That's certainly how a large part of the industry saw it being determined. MS choosing a side has added a competitor in this space that would otherwise have been uncontested. Now HDDVD is coming for HDDVD, when can try and guess what that'll do for the formats. Predications of these sorts are flimsy at best, but they pass the time. And out of curisosity it's interesting to see how the different console owners are taking different approaches to next-gen movies.

In the end, my assumption is that it will take 2-3x the amount of PS3 users to buy the same amount of HD movies as a stand alone BR or HD-DVD player owner, whereas a 360 HD-DVD owner will probably buy nearly the same amount of movies as a stand alone player owner. I say nearly only because in that case (the 360 case) you KNOW theyre splitting theyre disposable income and free time between games and movies, with the stand-alone owners they may be spending both on movies only.
Doesn't that assume that no PS3 owners are avid movie fans who'll buy lots of movies? If 1/3rd of XB360 owners buy the HDDVD addon to buy movies means a substantial number of movies, wouldn't that imply that 1/3rd of PS3 owners would be similarly minded and buy lots of movies, and the other 1/3rd who buy movies will be more casual in their buying habits (of the two thirds buyings BRDs)?

Back