Dual core and WinXP - what do I need to know?

CosmoKramer

Newcomer
So I am finally getting a dual core cpu (jay!) but I seem to remember some people had weird problems running some games. Was there ever any consensus regarding how to solve those problems?

Oh, it's an FX60 btw.

AMD has two patches you're going to want to pick up. Also, you might want to reinstall Windows or at least do a repair once you get it installed (I suggest reinstall).

I myself am picking up a dual core soon, but much lower budget a PD 805. :( But at least my motherboard will kick ass for only $55 (Asrock 775Dual-VSTA, AGP, PCIe, DDR, DDR2, and Core 2 support :devilish: ).

Almost forgot, here's a link to the AMD driver and utilities page: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:
digitalwanderer said:
Bastard! How much and from where?

(Sorry, the "bastard" was just the jealousy sneaking out. :oops: )

6995 norwegian crowns, which is about 1145 USD (the US dollar is falling which is why it seems excessive) from komplett.no.

Wow, for €900 (plus what you could get for your old stuff) I'd probably go and buy a midrange Core 2 plus new board and RAM. And I wouldn't have to feel ripped off ;)

The FX60 has to be single most overpriced CPU at the moment. All it has over the 4800+ is 200MHz and multiplier unlocked. Oh and it costs like three times as much.

The FX62 costs only €50 more which makes it look almost ike a bargain compared to the FX60. Besides, he's clearly talking S939 (= no F60 for AM2).

AMD has two patches you're going to want to pick up. Also, you might want to reinstall Windows or at least do a repair once you get it installed (I suggest reinstall).
Almost forgot, here's a link to the AMD driver and utilities page:

Is doing a repair/reinstall really necessary -- you can't just install the drive from AMD and be done with it?

And, does a repair automagically do what it needs or is it a pain? Never used XP's repair. (I don't particularly feel like reinstalling again this year)

Is doing a repair/reinstall really necessary -- you can't just install the drive from AMD and be done with it?

And, does a repair automagically do what it needs or is it a pain? Never used XP's repair. (I don't particularly feel like reinstalling again this year)

The problem is the HAL in Windows, it will be set for your previous processor, which will cause issues and performance problems.

My experience with repairs are that they are fairly straight forward. Pop in the disc and make sure you use the SECOND repair option that comes up. Programs and files should be safe.

Well, I picked up a 4200 X2 since it was relatively cheap and I didn't need to buy a new motherboard... A curious note: the 4200 X2s are 1.30-1.35v while the 3800 X2s are 1.4v -- seems like it should be the otherway around, if anything.

I didn't get around to doing a repair of XP yet (didn't have time yesterday), but I noticed Windows seems to recognize I have two CPUs and both got some use if I looked at the task manager... is that normal?

I'm kind of excited to get home today -- time to play with OC'ing and see where I can get.

Congrats Bobbler, and g'luck. Let us know how it goes. :)

I'll bet the 3800x2 are older is why they use more voltage, isn't the 4200x2 their new one?

Im getting a P4 Dual Core 805.

Is there anything I need to do, just install Windows for the Hal?

Also for VM Workstation 5.5. Is it just a case of getting it to use the 2nd core for all my VM's? Or can I specify that say out of 4 VM's. 2 use core 1 and the other 2 use core 2?

If anyone can point me to some resources to specifying which VM uses which core, that would be great. As the P4 805D is just a stepping stone to Kentsfield :)

Well, it's up to 2.6ghz atm, didn't end up with much time to play with it... so I just stuck it at 2.6 and started using it (put the V to 1.4, not even sure if that was necessary -- it idles at like 34c with the HSF combo I got at the lowest fan speed, so I'm happy with the temps).

I do have another question though, somewhat related to the topic... How does a person get two copies of Prime95 to run? every time I tried to open a second copy it would just disappear, and if I tried to install a second copy it would just ask me if I wanted to uninstall the first... What's the trick?

Im getting a P4 Dual Core 805.

Is there anything I need to do, just install Windows for the Hal?

Also for VM Workstation 5.5. Is it just a case of getting it to use the 2nd core for all my VM's? Or can I specify that say out of 4 VM's. 2 use core 1 and the other 2 use core 2?

If anyone can point me to some resources to specifying which VM uses which core, that would be great. As the P4 805D is just a stepping stone to Kentsfield :)
VMware will tell ya where to look when you load it up.;)

Back