Hey londonboy! (Or other EU types.) I have a Singstar question for ya.

cthellis42

Hoopy Frood
Legend
The PS3 brings the Singstar series across the pond, it seems, but I was unaware that it actually has--what?--five releases so far for the PS2?

My sister-in-law (and her friends) are rather karaoke junkies, and I already hooked her on Karaoke Revolution, and was pondering trying to locate and import some of the Singstars for her over here.

My primary question is a technical one... are these games ones that can be acquired directly from the UK and played on a Yank's PS2, or is there some of that silliness that comes from you all being on the wrong kind of television? :p

My secondary question is question is decidedly non-technical: "Are they any good?"

cthellis42 said:
The PS3 brings the Singstar series across the pond, it seems, but I was unaware that it actually has--what?--five releases so far for the PS2?

My sister-in-law (and her friends) are rather karaoke junkies, and I already hooked her on Karaoke Revolution, and was pondering trying to locate and import some of the Singstars for her over here.

My primary question is a technical one... are these games ones that can be acquired directly from the UK and played on a Yank's PS2, or is there some of that silliness that comes from you all being on the wrong kind of television? :p

My secondary question is question is decidedly non-technical: "Are they any good?"

To anwser your second question, yes they are very good - as long as you have 2 mics and lots of people. We are always asking the coulple who own the PS2 and all the singstar "games" to bring it round for parties and its always a good night when they do.

cthellis42 said:

First of all, no. It's not just the different signal, it's a different region code as well. So my guess is either you'll need a multi-region bootdisc or you'll need a modded ps2.

As for the second question, it's really funny as long as there're loads of people playing. Don't try playing alone at home. Otherwise, it's a real blast. BTW, you try the other localized versions, since they include a few songs typical of each country. :p

EDIT:
seems like situation is a little complicated with PS2: Either modchip or swap magic+ top load cd tray mod.
Though the second option doesn't work with all games, apparently

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry mate, only saw this thread now...

The only way to play a UK game on a US PS2 is either a modchip or a much easier Swap Magic (which is just a boot disc) + Tool (which opens the tray without resetting the console... sounds dangerous but it's totally fine, i've used it hundreds of times for my imports and it doesn't damage the tray at all). You'll find it on some sites if you search for it.

I didn't know that the Singstar games weren't released in the US!!

Well, I'm certainly familiar with modchip needs, having imported Bemani titles since the beginning. ;) I was curious if there were other more technical concerns than getting round region coding for this particular stuff.

Probably won't pursue it unless I see a good deal on a bunch of them, though--they're expensive to pick up over here, and not really chock full a' songs.

A special US version of SingStar is currently in production for the PS2 alongside the PS3 version; you might like wait for this to be available if the Import/ModChip route is too expensive.

Back