I HATE real player.

K.I.L.E.R said:
I HATE THIS!
Why? If you don't want RealPlayer don't download it. They won't bundle RealPlayer with Firefox. Nothing will change for you.

On the other hand, people who do willingly download and install Real software (perhaps typically those who wouldn't otherwise independently download and install Firefox) now get the option of having Firefox bundled with RealPlayer/RealArcade.

Apart from perhaps stepping on some geek sensitivities about RealNetworks questionable behaviour in the past, I don't se much wrong about this.

I've never understood why people hate RealPlayer so much. It's defintely not a good player, but it's certainly not as bad as some other more mainstream players that begin with a Q and end with UICKTIME...

london-boy said:
I've never understood why people hate RealPlayer so much. It's defintely not a good player, but it's certainly not as bad as some other more mainstream players that begin with a Q and end with UICKTIME...

Rest assured, I hate both of them.

london-boy said:
Well, upon installation of RP8, you had to untick dozend of boxes to disable adverts, part of them were skillfully aranged, so that you had a window, 4 unticked "annoy me" boxes and a scrollbar - you would expect the rest of them to be unticked aswell. if you scrolled down you see that every remaining box is ticked however...
The Player might be decend, but its packed in an incredible amount of crap advertising and bloat. Quicktime is lean&mean in comparison.

london-boy said:
I've never understood why people hate RealPlayer so much.
This harkens back to 1999-2001 when RealPlayer got increasingly more intrusive and used deceptive tricks to get users to enable hard to disable options at install time. (Edit: I see Npl already covered this.) There was also several privacy issues (another example) leading to bad press and user outcry. They later tried to reinvent/redeem themselves in 2002 by launching the Helix initiative. Today's RealPlayer, while, IMO, still being a bloated annoying piece of crap, does not have any of these issues.

Who doesn't hate it?

The thing is a bloated, buggy, invasive, sticky and stuffed with ads. It's a nightmare to use. Plus, I always find the format to have poor image quality. I mean, what's the point when you have xvid or h.264? The only codec of merit they have is fractal compression, which afaik they don't use anymore.

Npl said:
Quicktime is lean&mean in comparison.
Aye, Quicktime isn't so bad in my opinion. The problem is that it takes some hunting on their website to find the download of Quicktime that doesn't include iTunes (now that software I despise).

But both pieces of software have the problem that they try to load when you load Windows. Software developers that try to do that for no good reason should be shot.

london-boy said:

It's much much worse than QT.

The simplest solution would be to have a free media player bundled with Windows, then you wouldn't have to go to the trouble of installing QT or RealPlayer.

:p

I remember the fun trying to get to the free version on Real's site. Is it still so wicked? :)

I'm glad Real Alternative and Quicktime Alternative exist. Else the alternative would be.. to delete the few .rm and .mov files I have here and there ;)

though I remember Quicktime 2.x on windows 3.1, for playing Myst. It didn't suck back then, it had that interesting feature called Full Screen, a dead simple, MDI interface and could play multiple instances of the bikini girl 160x120 sample video on my 486 :)

And yet nobody complains about the official firefox install including google toolbar...:???:

Back