Does this show with your SATA drives?

FX5900

Newcomer
I just bought a samsung SATA II drive... installed it.. works fine under SATA150.. but i see this

removehd.jpg

Removable? I also see the icon in my task bar..

is it normal?

Yes, since (most) SATA supports hotplugging drives.

Has anyone ever tried removing the windows installation drive while in windows :?: And if so, what happens?

Alstrong said:
Has anyone ever tried removing the windows installation drive while in windows :?: And if so, what happens?

its a colour that bill gates sees many times when he show something to the general public, and it aint green

dskneo said:
its a colour that bill gates sees many times when he show something to the general public, and it aint green
Red?

I remember once one of my colleagues unplugged RAM from a working test PC he thought was switched off. Nothing happened. Not strictly accurate since the screen froze on the desktop but there was no BSOD or smoke.

Tahir2 said:
Red?

I remember once one of my colleagues unplugged RAM from a working test PC he thought was switched off. Nothing happened. Not strictly accurate since the screen froze on the desktop but there was no BSOD or smoke.

Were there no fans on this computer? I think that would be my first clue, especially now with my fan not having a "cage."

Skrying said:
Were there no fans on this computer? I think that would be my first clue, especially now with my fan not having a "cage."
you shoud really get a cage. sometimes fans become rabid and start eating every cable in sight.

It wasn't really a PC but a test bench and there were fans, he just came in, said I need the test RAM and took it out of the motherboard without looking at anything.
I guess when he felt it was hot he then asked, "err.. is that PC on?"

Quite funny really, always wondered what would happen if you took RAM out of a working PC.

Tahir2 said:
Red?

Well, you're not going to get a BSOD if there isn't any kernel left to give you a BSOD :)

Not at the voltage that memory works at...

Back to the original question: That is chipset dependant. I'm guessing you have an nV chipset.

Or you're running it off a Marvell or SiI or equivalent controller.

Once, on my old system (Celery 1.3 T, 512mb + 256mb sticks of pc133), I removed the 512mb stick while Windows was installing (long story, looking for a laugh), and it just went on it's merry way installing. And this was in the bulk of installation, not the initial 'DOS' section.

Never so much as a hiccup :)

Back