Mercury puts Cell processor on a PCI-E card

ps2xboxcube

Newcomer
http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/10463

Mercury Computer Systems has come up with a new application for Cell, the multi-core processor jointly designed by Sony, Toshiba, and IBM and due to appear in Sony's PlayStation 3 in November. Mercury's new product is called the Mercury Cell Accelerator Board, and it consists of a discrete Cell processor on a PCI Express card intended for use as a co-processor of sorts.

Featuring the Mercury MultiCore Plus(TM) Advantage, the CAB is designed to deliver an unprecedented 180 GFLOPS of performance in a PCI Express(R) ATX form factor suitable for compute-intensive applications such as rendering, ray tracing, video and image processing, and signal processing.

The Mercury Cell Accelerator Board features a 2.8GHz Cell processor, 1GB of Rambus XDR DRAM, 4GB of DDR2 SDRAM, Gigabit Ethernet, and a PCI Express x16 interface. Rated power draw is a whopping 210W, and the card is 12.283" long—about an inch shorter than NVIDIA's GeForce 7950 GX2 graphics card. Expect the Cell Accelerator Board to become available in early 2007 at a price of $7,999.

Incidentally, the Mercury Cell Accelerator Board won't be Mercury's first Cell-based product. In January, the company started shipping Cell-based blade servers, and Mercury's product portfolio shows a number of other Cell solutions. Thanks to DailyTech for the tip.

PiNkY said:
does this include a gpu or what's up with the ddr2 memory?
1GB seems to be the limit of what you can do with current XDR-Rams & Cell. The DDR2 should act as additional Memory via some kind of Northbridge over FlexIO.

Shifty Geezer said:
It might be cost. 4 GB DDR2 is going to be lot cheaper than 4 GB XDR.
Look at the price, do you really think 4GB XDR would make any difference :smile:
There is a limit how much XDR-Chips you can put on each of the 2 Channels (linked serially), apart from each additional chip potentially driving up latency. I`d have to read up for details.

Npl said:
1GB seems to be the limit of what you can do with current XDR-Rams & Cell. The DDR2 should act as additional Memory via some kind of Northbridge over FlexIO.

You can also connect together two Cell chips with 1GB XDR RAM each to get a 2GB NUMA 2 CPU system with the 2GB available to both of the two processors, or with a bit of extra logic, connect four Cell chips with 1GB XDR RAM each to get a 4GB NUMA 4 CPU system etc.

From zee german IT news site heise.de :

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/76293

- the card is called "Cell Accelerator Board" (short CAB)
- the CAB is powered by Yellow Dog Linux, booting off of 32MByte flash-mem
- the host PC can be a Linux or Windows system and will talk through an API with CAB
- the card is only certified for HP Opteron-Workstations so far

The rest of the article is about background infos regarding Mercurys' field of work and some known stuff about STI/Cell.

No one else seemed to notice, but this line set off alarm bells...

Rated power draw is a whopping 210W

What percentage of this is the ddr2/xdr ram?...

I'm no expert, but can we assume at least half that is drawn by the cell?
If the PS3 runs at 3.2ghz, not 2.8ghz, that would bump that up considerably higher? Would there be process/design differences to affect power draw?

Then there is the RSX.. do we know it's power draw? I would imagine it is somewhere between the ~130w draw of a desktop 7900 and ~50w of the notebook 7900.

Plus ram, bluray and power supply inefficnency...

Given the 360 draws 160W at the plug (from what I've read), could this well mean the PS3 not only is the heaviest but also easily most power hungry console ever?

[edit]
I know, a heck of a lot of 'what if', but thats why I ask.

I guess it depends what you're doing. Assuming the software's there, you could read multiple compressed video streams, decode them and blend with a few effects in realtime. Trouble is it needs the software ;)

Some pics of the board
http://journal.mycom.co.jp/articles/2006/08/08/siggraph04/
008l.jpg

004l.jpg

Back