Wii Advertisements Already?

Hardknock

Veteran
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1536929/20060721/index.jhtml?headlines=true

Click on this link and if you don't see it right away(in the middle of the page) just refresh it a couple times and it should pop up.

I think it's very possible after seeing this ad that Nintendo could dominate next-gen. The videos just look incredibly fun and I love how they're showing people of all ages. It's also interesing how they're emphasizing the "Wii" name and not "Nintendo"...

What do you guys think?

PS. By the way we need a "Wii" thread icon! We already have Playstation and 360 symbols ;)

I think the advertising is good but wonder how many people have a workable setup for 4 or even 2 player tennis/sports as shown in video 1 (seems like you need a good bit of floor space). I dont think many will and i wonder if people will pick up on that, or care.

I think you're right. While Sony and MS are busy fighting a spec war, both resulting in overpriced consoles, Nintendo will be eating their lunches. Nintendo are actually trying do something about next-gen gameplay, and not just same old gameplay with just fancier graphics. The wii controller may or may not be just the right thing for next-gen gameplay, at least they are trying.

That's not to say better graphics isn't necessary, it's just that it shouldn't be the only thing. My little niece and nephew (7 & 11 y o) fight to the play the gba games, while they hardly touch my 360 that's connected to a plasma. They'll oh and ah over the fancy graphics of the 360, then they'll go right back to what's fun for them.

thatdude90210 said:
I think you're right. While Sony and MS are busy fighting a spec war, both resulting in overpriced consoles, Nintendo will be eating their lunches. Nintendo are actually trying do something about next-gen gameplay, and not just same old gameplay with just fancier graphics. The wii controller may or may not be just the right thing for next-gen gameplay, at least they are trying.

That's not to say better graphics isn't necessary, it's just that it shouldn't be the only thing. My little niece and nephew (7 & 11 y o) fight to the play the gba games, while they hardly touch my 360 that's connected to a plasma. They'll oh and ah over the fancy graphics of the 360, then they'll go right back to what's fun for them.

Not saying that i disagree with what youre saying here but i think its important to point out that MS and Sony are not targeting 7 and 11 year olds as their primary demographic. There may be titles that do appeal to that audience down the road but for the moment i dont think primarily theyre spending theyre marketing budgets (or technology ones) on making sure that 11 year olds flock to their system.

expletive said:
Not saying that i disagree with what youre saying here but i think its important to point out that MS and Sony are not targeting 7 and 11 year olds as their primary demographic. There may be titles that do appeal to that audience down the road but for the moment i dont think primarily theyre spending theyre marketing budgets (or technology ones) on making sure that 11 year olds flock to their system.

Oh noes, someone is to grown up for a Nintendo console!

That was a joke, btw. Dont get to angry!

But anyway: Why do you see Nintendo as marketing to 11 year olds? Fact is that they are not marketing towards any specific group, they're marketing to EVERYONE. That's the goal of the Wii, and is indeed the basis for its name.

The goal of the Wii is for you and your friends to have fun. To be able to play games never before possible. They want everyone to enjoy the games. From 6 year olds to 99 year olds.

I'll be lining up for the Wii on launch day. I cant wait to actually play a new game. I'm personally getting tired of the same games with new graphics, its boring after the first 5 minutes.

expletive said:
but i think its important to point out that MS and Sony are not targeting 7 and 11 year olds as their primary demographic.
Oh no, don't even TRY to go there again! :LOL: Fer chrissakes, that dead horse's been beaten enough by now with past nintendo consoles.

If anything, Wii is targetting people ABOVE that demographic, since advanced eye/hand coordination generally isn't all that easy for little kiddies. I think we've all seen 7y/os lean this way and that while "flying around" with the joypad as they play without even realizing they're doing it.

I'm not sure I've even seen ONE kid in Nintendo's Wii PR shots, seems almost exclusively to be 20+ men and women (all with excellent fashion sense and great skill of interior decoration as well I might add :LOL:).

5274.jpg

That was all the advertising I needed, Wii will have a Bleach game....I'm sold. :cool:

Skrying said:
But anyway: Why do you see Nintendo as marketing to 11 year olds? Fact is that they are not marketing towards any specific group, they're marketing to EVERYONE. That's the goal of the Wii, and is indeed the basis for its name.

No they aren't.

They are marketing to Nintendo fans, and almost no one else.

Look at what they are doing. Offering their old Nintendo games, which appeals to Nintendo fans, but no one else. They are pushing the same old franchises. Zelda, Mario, Metroid, which is great for a Nintendo fan, but no one else.

What are they offering for the FPS crowd? The GTA fans? How about racing sim fans? Or for that matter, any car racing game? What do they have for people who don't like Mario, Zelda, or Metroid and don't want to play a bunch of old Nintendo games?

The controller is nice and all, but it's the games that will make or break the system, and I see no changes from last gen when it comes to the games they are offering.

Powderkeg said:
No they aren't.

Look at what they are doing. Offering their old Nintendo games, which appeals to Nintendo fans, but no one else. They are pushing the same old franchises. Zelda, Mario, Metroid, which is great for a Nintendo fan, but no one else.

What are they offering for the FPS crowd? The GTA fans? How about racing sim fans? Or for that matter, any car racing game? What do they have for people who don't like Mario, Zelda, or Metroid and don't want to play a bunch of old Nintendo games?

The controller is nice and all, but it's the games that will make or break the system, and I see no changes from last gen when it comes to the games they are offering.

Did you even look at the advertisement? Sports and Racing games seem to be the order of the day. And there's already 2 FPSs slated for launch.

Powderkeg said:
No they aren't.

Someone doesnt understand the idea of everyone.

I dont mean gamers. A Nintendo game appeals to the averager person than you typical game.

IMO.

fearsomepirate said:
Pretending to be a galactic space hero makes you a real man.

waitaminute, i thought that was done through playing nubile bimbo fighters, or through beating the shit out of virtual prostitutes! and now you're telling me you can get even more mature through being a space badass? btw, does it matter of what gender? : )

call me a pessimist but i don't see this thread going very far.. anyway, i won't use and f-words this time as it turns out people have this theory about first users of f-words.

Wii, equals you and me, as someone said above, theyre targeting everyone. Theyre not locked onto a particular demographic, but at the same time their not gonna ditch their winning franchises.

Powderkeg said:
No they aren't.

Oh FFS, that's complete nonsense. Seriously, you need to have your Wii-related posting rights revoked, because all you ever do is poo-poo the thing. Did Shigeru Miyamoto break your favorite toy when you were a kid or something, or what's wrong with you?

Look at what they are doing. Offering their old Nintendo games, which appeals to Nintendo fans, but no one else.
Yeah, those Wii mario/zelda/etc games are exactly like all mario/zeldas that came out before them. SURE!

Get real will you?

What are they offering for the FPS crowd? The GTA fans? How about racing sim fans? Or for that matter, any car racing game?
I'm sure zero overlap exists between the genres you mention and mario/zelda/etc. *rolleyes*

Hmm... Waitaminute. I like FPSes, AND I like mario/zelda/etc. No, that can't be possible! :D

and I see no changes from last gen when it comes to the games they are offering.
Yeah, Wii Sports for example is EXACTLY like every other sports game ever made, by Nintendo or otherwise...

Looking at those 4 clips, the hardware advantage of Wii doesn't seem clear over the rivals. The FPS, perhaps it has a more instinctive point-and-shoot interface. Mario - I'd have thought a platformer wouldn't map well to motions. The racer - seems no different to Smuggler's Run, only tilting the vehicle based on controller orientation rather than the stick. Now the sports show the obvious edge that Wiimote provides, but I'm still unsure if people are going to want to be that active in their games. That Tennis game is likely to leave people as hot and sweaty as EyeToy does. There's also the question as to how well the PS3's Eyetoy could handle such games (and XB360's camera for that matter).

I think what does stand out for Wii is that it has this variety, and the software is there now rather than just being potential on other platforms. Even if PS3 could do the sports games as well through EyeToy and a bright orange baton say, we haven't seen any such games for it. Thus hardware-wise I don't see the Wii stands alone in offering new playstyles, but Nintendo are being sure to provide the new-style games software that's not appearing elsewhere. Plus it's 1/3rd the price! If PS3 features some pick-up-and-play intuitive motion-based games, it might have the edge on what's offered in the overall package, being able to add more to the games in other areas, and the price alone would be the competing factor. If the Wii ends up the only platform with such titles, and they do prove popular, it might manage something of a DS adoption rate.

thatdude90210 said:
Nintendo are actually trying do something about next-gen gameplay, and not just same old gameplay with just fancier graphics.

They haven't made new gameplay, its the same stuff happening on the screen......its just a new control scheme. We just won't see another big gameplay jump like we did from 2D to 3D.

I haven't seen any advertising of the Wii yet, its bound to come about launch, but they dont really show many game adverts here in the UK (although I did see a table tennis advert for the X360 last night).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back