Finally....

Congrats Epic! Woot! Woot!!

Like a supreme court justice, now that he's scored a life-time appointment, will he "grow" politically? ;)

Powderkeg said:
Yeah, everything is backwards in Australia. You accept immigrants with open arms and oppress the aboriginal peoples.
There are undoubtedly outstanding issues (go right-wing government! :???:), but I think calling it oppression is being just a little dramatic.

powderkeg afaik epic will never be allowed to run for US president. You have to be native born and lived there for a certain number of years right? So you are not equal in that respect.
Why do they have this restriction? Do they have it on other positions, ie Supreme Court?

Fodder, I wouldnt say Aussies treatment of Abos isn't very good either, infact your Prime Minister won't even apologise for past wrongs done to them. I wouldnt say Aussies immigration policy is very nice either, it is blatantly biased towards whites without specifically stating so.

Blitzkrieg said:
powderkeg afaik epic will never be allowed to run for US president. You have to be native born and lived there for a certain number of years right? So you are not equal in that respect.
Why do they have this restriction? Do they have it on other positions, ie Supreme Court?
You are correct. There is however a small (hopefully growing) movement that wants to do away with that restriction.

epic

At least we don't stop Catholics from being chief of state.

The older your government is, the more likely some strange little bigotrys that looked necessary to the safety of the nation a few hundred years ago are still hanging around.

Powderkeg said:
Yeah, everything is backwards in Australia. You accept immigrants with open arms and oppress the aboriginal peoples.

I wonder, do you see anything ironic in an american accusing an australian of oppressing the aboriginal peoples?

Nah, probably not.

Powderkeg said:

next thing you are going to say is that there are no native americans right? :rolleyes:

you cant compare immigration to france with immigration to the USA

the usa IS just 99% immigrants,i dont care how long you guys live there.

Congrats, epic!

But do you have to take some oath? How strange. I'm pretty sure over here you just sign the papers and get a new passport.

Blitzkrieg said:
Fodder, I wouldnt say Aussies treatment of Abos isn't very good either, infact your Prime Minister won't even apologise for past wrongs done to them.
Like I said, there are undoubtedly issues.
Blitzkrieg said:
I wouldnt say Aussies immigration policy is very nice either, it is blatantly biased towards whites without specifically stating so.
I'd say our refugee policy is far more flawed than that pertaining to skilled immigration.

God gives with one hand, and sometimes takes with the other.

This morning a 36" tv (tube version) fell on my toe. 1 in a million kinda thing. split the nail and i had to have it pulled, and stiched up. To top it off, the pain management medicine wouldnt work on me. After 9 shots, the doctors said that she couldnt give more if i wanted to keep the toe. An hour pulling the nail, and what felt like an eternity stiching up a fake metal one, I left the hospital. For over an hour i was debating whether that toe was really necessary. Sigh. My plans to get my passport done on monday looks to be shot.

Anyways, give the doctor who came up with viacadim a medal. ;)

epic

Powderkeg said:
America is like no other country on earth. You can move to France, live the rest of your life there, but you can never truely be French. You can move to Japan, spend the rest of your life there, but you can never truely be Japanese.

But you can move to America and become a TRUE American.

Congrats Epic, our newest American.
True American? You mean like the Indiands, Mayans, Aztecs etc etc? :LOL:

Whats the definition of a TRUE American anyways?

Can we have the "True American" convo somewhere else, and quit thread crapping Epic's happy day?

Blitzkrieg said:
powderkeg afaik epic will never be allowed to run for US president. You have to be native born and lived there for a certain number of years right?

Yes, but that is the only case.

So you are not equal in that respect.

It's a trivial matter, unless you actually feel you've got a legitimate shot at becoming president.

Why do they have this restriction?

To prevent people like this from becoming president.

Do they have it on other positions, ie Supreme Court?

Not that I am aware of, although I admit I really don't know. You can become a governor of a state, member of the Senate or Congress, but not the president, and possibly not the vice president since he can become president.

It's a piece of nativism that made sense to the founders in 1787, when such a large proportion of the country was foreign born, and a small weak new nation would be particularly susceptible to adventurism by other powers.

Getting it out of there now isn't any easier than some other anachronisms.

hey69 said:
the usa IS just 99% immigrants,i dont care how long you guys live there.
Of course, you're a Turk, so you're probably not the best person either to condemn mistreatment of indigenous peoples.

linthat22 said:
Congrats brotha on becoming a United States citizen the legal way
thanks mate. :) I was thinking of you the other day. I was planning on an expeditated passport, to get it done in 1 day i was either going to go to DC or chicago. If i went to DC, they would have given me the new e-passport. I could just imagine you telling me to pass on it. lol, going to chicago to get a traditional passport now. :)

epic

Back