Anyone bought a Conroe yet?

Xentropy

Newcomer
I am looking for a new system now that the price drops seem to be here. I put together my last two computers (P3-700 and Athlon 2100), but I thought I'd buy this one to save some hassle. Was checking at Maingear.com that I have heard good things about, and they had the new price drops in for the Athlon X2 AM2 chips (the X2 5000+ is a $234 upgrade from the baseline Athlon 3500), but they don't seem to have any Conroe systems yet.

Anyone got their hands on a Conroe system yet, preferably one of the higher end ones with 4 MB cache? And if so, how do they like it so far?

Ordered but not yet recieved...
Given that I'm located more or less at the exact ass end of the world, I may be waiting some time :cry:

Still waiting for my E6600 to ship, though it seems the end of august is more than likely the time it will arrive the way things are going. The very bottom end and the very top end are in stock, its only* the 6300's, 6400's, 6600's and 6700's that are in short supply, in the UK at least.

*slight tone of sarcasm

arrrse said:
Given that I'm located more or less at the exact ass end of the world, I may be waiting some time :cry:

Would that be Australia or NZ?
ETA's in a few Austrlaian online retailers seems to be ~two weeks.

arrrse said:

Didn't know you were from Birmingham.

arrrse said:
the 2.4ghz one :smile:

Ouchie :LOL: nope, the other one.
Where '6' is pronounced 'sux' as opposed to our neighbours who pronounce it 'sex' :p

Ah, a frush fush & chups man.

Quite surprised there haven't been more replies to this thread. In the UK, at least, I think a lot of people are waiting for the 1.86GHz part.

epicstruggle said:
im waiting for the 6800EE edition. lol, although ill probably settle for the 6600 model.

epic
The X6800 has been available for awhile in certain places such as newegg, though I haven't checked lately if they still have it.

ANova said:
The X6800 has been available for awhile in certain places such as newegg, though I haven't checked lately if they still have it.
the market up on that is like 300 dollars. I dont need it that bad. :) I might actually just bite the bullet and go with an amd x2 5000+. Decisions.

epic

i ordered a 6600 with 4 sata hitachi 80GB (RAID 0) for my company to give oomph at heavy photoshop work (working actions with 40 200mb pictures at same time) Of course it wont be stock either lol. More like >3ghz.

die G5 die! (PC-photoshop fans joke, that i wish it comes true). I wanna show the G5 peps at work how good PC's become (but photoshop runs really well in G5's)

I got tired of waiting so I ordered an FX60, 2 GB DDR400 and the Sapphire Toxic 1900XTX instead.

I guess I'll buy a Conroe system next year, when the platform will be more mature and availability will be better...

Hopefully by then K8L quad cores will be out & hitting similar IPC to the conroe quadcore...

I'm still waiting for my E6600 :cry: This €40 Celeron I bought as a stop-gap CPU is getting a bit boring.

Argh, the only local supplier I can find with an ETA on their website for conroes other than the 1.86ghz model is September :mad:
I mean, I could actually try emailing the people I ordered off & get a better idea I guess :oops:

Got my E6600 yesterday and it's not as great of an overclocker as I had hoped. Apparently, the emerging consensus in various web forums seems to be that the retail revision (B2) doesn't do as well as the ones that were sent out to the hardware websites, even though a minority report similar great results.

Mine is running at 3 GHz right now (stable through 1 hour of 2x Prime95, one instance per core) but I had to increase Vcore by about 0.06V. I didn't really push it yet but I didn't even get 3.2 GHz to run stable at 1.425V (which is a 0.1V increase). Might try a higher voltage tomorrow but I'm on air cooling, so there are limits. The processor runs comparably hot at 3 GHz (core temps jump to ~65°C when running Prime95) but it's still very well within the limits.

25% is still a decent overclock but I had hoped to achieve this at stock voltage. Ah, well, a 3 GHz Core 2 Duo isn't too shabby, I guess.

Back