Where does your username come from?

Actually, I made this one up for B3D. I've used it everywhere else since then. The story is simple: Strong Bad. :p

davepermen said:
interestingly, more people know that name in reallife, than my real surname (Spörri).

:LOL: count me as one (sorta). I know someone named Dave Pearman (peerman). Thought it was him when I first saw your username, but then I realized...he's not the type of person to hang out on tech forums. :p (And he doesn't come from Switzerland either!)

MuFu said:
I think mine is pretty self-explanatory.

No please, do tell so we all don't make a mistake. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Basic said:
Crisidelm:
I've actually thought "so that's why he got that name". But maybe I would've used a 'r' instead of 'l'.
Is it the right reason?

Not at all :) (Man, I should really have a sick mind to think to pick my nickname from my skin disease :p ).

Back when I was 13 I had to do an advertising project in school for a motorcycle. My group took out a thesaurus and looked up words for crazy and the like. The word “rashly†came up and the advertisement ended up being a poster of a guy on a motorcycle doing a back flip with the words “ACT RASHLY†printed across the bottom.

I got my first PC around that time and my AOL screen name became “ACT RASHLYâ€. When I started writing AOL proggies I used that name but I wanted it to be a single word. I used “ACT†for about a month and then ended up deciding on just “rashlyâ€.

I wish I thought of something a little cleverer because I’ve been using it for the past 9 years. It could be worse though, and at least I’ve never found anyone else with this handle.

PS. About a year ago the first result in google for “rashly†was my website. It has moved way down the list since then.

You are Captain William J. Blazkowicz, American spy for the allies during World War II. You must escape from imprisonment and destroy some of the most evil nazi war criminals. You start with only a knife and a pistol; their previous owner lies dead at your feet.

The odds are stacked against you, but single-handedly you must deal the opposition a crippling blow.

as for the final underscore, it's because registration here crapped up ("pseudo already in use" even though I aborted my first registration which had a typo in the email), and it previously blended in the pseudo's underlining

Blazkowicz_ said:
as for the final underscore, it's because registration here crapped up ("pseudo already in use" even though I aborted my first registration which had a typo in the email), and it previously blended in the pseudo's underlining
Why not ask one of the admins to fix it. :) Ive seen it done before.

epic

Mine is the same as my website and short for Digital Guru, the name of my company. But I would prefer a less pretentous one.

Blazkowicz_ said:
That can be fixed, if you're not attached to it by now. Let me know.

It's my real-life nickname since 1989, based on the portuguese singer "Toy". I don't know why, it sticked even though I hate the guy, his music, and I don't even remotely look like him.
cdpop.jpg

If you want a taste of his "music" check http://www.toy.pt. It will start playing as soon as you get the flash stuff, but I advise you to stay away.

Joined the IGN boards, the official Wizardry 8 boards to be precise, in a rather bad mood.
The distribution situation for the game was rather sketchy. EB Games had an agreement to distribute it in the US and Canada, but no deal had been made for Europe.

So there were two camps of us. We Europeans were busy trying to find out where we could get a hold of the game (imports? preorders? etc). That topic wasn't really interesting to the 'murricans and Canadians though, obviously, so we had some "sub-culture" of our own on these boards for a while.

And thus I wanted a name that would sound innocent to English speakers but, to Germans, would immediately give me away as a German, so that they would know I could be approached in the native language if they weren't confident enough with their English.

It actually is a pretty nasty name. For those who know what it means, I assure you that no, I was never afflicted by that.

Great game, great, civilized boards. Gets a smile on my face.

I took part of word radient and fucked around with it and came out with radeonic, this was in the early 90s, mind you.
When I regged here someone already had radeon (how strange I thought) so I stuck a 2 on it.

I have a radiate personality ;)

mcsven said:
I figured there probably would be an old topic but it had dropped out of my memory and so I thought I'd ask the question again. Plus, in two years I'm sure we've gained some new members!

I wasnt meaning this was a repost, but just so that you, and others could read it, and see faster.

Blade has been my online username everywhere since 1997. It's an in-direct reference to the Marvel Comics character of the same name.

While we're on the subject, who was it that registered as Blade in the temporary B3D forums back in 2002? (or so)

I was here as Blade starting in 2000 or 2001, then for a short time I was "relegated" to Maximo.

http://www.squeak.org/
My kind of language, although I'm not quite fluent.
And also:
"I figured that "Smalltalk" was so innocuous a label that if it ever did anything nice people would be pleasantly surprised."
- Alan Kay
And as you all know :)razz:) the most popular Smalltalk variant nowadays is called Squeak.

Terribly geeky I know :oops: but so is this site (and I mean that in the best possible way).

Back