Fidelity rumor: Intel to make a hostile bid for ATi?

Karma Police said:
Of course it's a rumor (from Fidelity), but is it likely? And what would the consequences be if true?

Fidelity Investments: Rumor that ATI TECHNOLOGIES INC (ATYT) will get a $23 bid from (INTC) over current (AMD) bid.

I think that would be interesting to say the least. Intel certainly wouldn't be interested in ATI for it's platform building capability.

Does anyone have information on power consumption of the ATI IGP chipset verus the expected power consumption of the G965 chipset?

That's probably what the 100 something million payout to AMD is for if the current merger doesn't go through - a poison pill to discourage exactly this kind of hostile takeover.

If Intel made an offer, it would have to be approved by ATIs board and shareholders, and I can't see that happening after a year of planning with AMD how to move their business forwards without being subsumed into the Intel hegemony.

I doubt it would even be allowed. As Intel already has a presence or full out lead in many areas that ATi is in. Graphics: Intel lead, chipsets; Intel lead, etc.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
That's probably what the 100 something million payout to AMD is for if the current merger doesn't go through - a poison pill to discourage exactly this kind of hostile takeover.

If Intel made an offer, it would have to be approved by ATIs board and shareholders, and I can't see that happening after a year of planning with AMD how to move their business forwards without being subsumed into the Intel hegemony.

Wouldn't the higher share offer counteract the $165,000,000 fee? But honestly I'm with you.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
If Intel made an offer, it would have to be approved by ATIs board and shareholders
Wrong. Itr would exclusively have to be approved by the shareholders. If the board refuses to approve it, it's simply called an "hostile" bid, and not a friendly one. As for the $165M, that would indirectly be paid by Intel, of course. It wouldn't be part of the $23/share proposal, so Intel would be paying even more than that.
There are many ways such a scenario could turn out. For example, it could even prevent both bids from having sufficient shareholder approval...

Uttar

Back