Nvidia: "ATI's thrown in the towel"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just curious...
Could multi-core fab tech put a gpu on the die and eliminate the bus...couple with edram for a low power low cost screemer? Too much tequila probably.

INKster said:
NV50 was "cancelled" less than 2 years ago, IIRC :D

That doesn't mean much, though...

XbitLabs said:
Yet another reason for future product cancellation is shift towards higher performance products in the same timeframe as the original product was meant to be launched.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20041205035620.html

Aka, extending Geforce 7 series to somewhat shorten the gap between nVidia's first DX10 GPU and MS's delayed DX10 API.

(Or atleast that's my theory).

I still consider G80 to be "NV50."

Mize said:
I'm just curious...
Could multi-core fab tech put a gpu on the die and eliminate the bus...couple with edram for a low power low cost screemer? Too much tequila probably.

its a possibility from the techside but WAY TOO expensive ;)

As soon as the rumour went around, a bunch of ATI people started to send their CVs to Nvidia.

Nvidia might even get some of the hot shots as few jobs at ATI are certain anymore. You don’t need two sets of accountants and two marketing departments and there have to be some cuts sooner or later, if the deal goes ahead.

According to green sources, Nvidia has already received over a hundred job requests from ATI chaps. The second thing that Nvidia likes is that the uncertainty is likely to delay some of the products. ATI is already late by more than a quarter with its 80 nanometre RV560 and RV570.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33297

Well, apparently NV aren't against talking to Fuad about *some* things.

He might have tried explaining why marketing and accounting people would be sending their resumes to another graphics company. I'd think that kind of thing is cross-marketable enough that they'd more interested in keeping their geographic location. Tho he probably correctly fingered the areas of AMD/ATI that have some exposure to a bit of trimming. The AMD powerpoint suggests that Sales, General, and Administration is where most people-oriented savings would be seen.

Tho somehow I suspect those sources were hoping that some folks will jump to the conclusion that it is engineers looking to switch.

Edit: Come to think of it, it is a perfect Fuad piece tho --how do you prove something like that is false? You can't, because no one tells the bosses they are shopping their resume.

geo said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33297

Well, apparently NV aren't against talking to Faud about *some* things.

Fuad said:
According to green sources,

I wouldn't be surprised if he just threw that in to give a fake sense of legitimacy to his article. Otherwise, I'm more inclined to believe it's just pure Fuad speculation. He doesn't have the reputation to just say "according to our secret sources..." and be taken with credability. Which is something we see affirmed quite frequently. ;)

From the end of Fuad's "article":

Long term, we are sure that Nvidia will suffer from the deal, but it will take time until that happens.We think this development might just make Nvidia stronger than ever before.
How can it make nVidia suffer in the long run yet make it stronger than ever before at the same time?

The old, "that which does not kill you makes you stronger" logic? :-|

digitalwanderer said:
From the end of Fuad's "article":

How can it make nVidia suffer in the long run yet make it stronger than ever before at the same time?

The old, "that which does not kill you makes you stronger" logic? :-|
The usual Inquirer tactic is to throw every possibility out there, just so they can say "told you so" when something actually does happen. Usually this is done in separate pieces though. I agree it looks kinda silly to cover contradictory outcomes in the same sentence :???:

So what is it about AMD internally producing chipsets/igps that will be so appealing to OEMs? If they just want one-stop shopping certainly AMD could just drop a sweet deal on SIS/VIA/ATI whoever to let AMD rebrand some of their lines and deliver the whole package to the big boys. Do the OEMs ask for custom boards(probably) or custom chips(really?)? Even still, if it's just about bringing a top-to-bottom AMD branded what-have-you to the OEM, I really don't see why they couldn't get it outside the plantation and rebrand it. If it's just about cutting costs doing it inhouse that's great, but why wait for a big acquisition? They could have done this years ago. So why is this such a key point(and of course any additional insight into the OEM buyer analysis/criteria would be muy appreciated as well)?

Otto Dafe said:
So what is it about AMD internally producing chipsets/igps that will be so appealing to OEMs? If they just want one-stop shopping certainly AMD could just drop a sweet deal on SIS/VIA/ATI whoever to let AMD rebrand some of their lines and deliver the whole package to the big boys. Do the OEMs ask for custom boards(probably) or custom chips(really?)? Even still, if it's just about bringing a top-to-bottom AMD branded what-have-you to the OEM, I really don't see why they couldn't get it outside the plantation and rebrand it. If it's just about cutting costs doing it inhouse that's great, but why wait for a big acquisition? They could have done this years ago. So why is this such a key point(and of course any additional insight into the OEM buyer analysis/criteria would be muy appreciated as well)?

Its about quality and trust. Are you really going trust a company like SIS or Via to supply your chipsets to a company like Dell? At those massive volumes? Is Dell going to want to have to deal with more than just one company for your platform? No, they can go to Intel and get it all in one go, issues happen? Go to just Intel, etc. That's the ease that comes with being able to supply everything top to bottom.

I dont really believe AMD could have done this years ago. The first real hurdle is your brand name. AMD is just now with the success of the A64 getting brand penatration to the consumers, which is a really big hurdle.

With ATi now AMD can provide the CPU, the chipset, the IGP, the GPU, and every other chip logic they need to a OEM. That's a big advantage of only supplying the CPU and hoping that everyone else in your chain doesnt screw up.

When the heck is someone going to fire that Fraud? I mean Fuad!

Green sauces. Care to elaborate El Fuado? I'd have to agree with Nelsieus on that, seems more like a daft attempt to legitamise his article.

Razor1 said:
I'm sure this is just the beginning, Intel isn't going to make it easy for them :cry:
Its to late, Conroe as a platform is already made and working, R600 will be the chipset of choice for a highend dualgpu with conroe. Back to the ati internal review, How to get to 45nm and still have a company.... who can make 45nm before TSMC can get it going... hmmm Intell or AMD. ATi didnt throw in the towel, they brought the beer to the party. you think NVDA will be on 45nm before ATI? your smoking somthing. BAck to Conroe, just how many can Intel produce.. well it wont be all that much till around january. And if the buzz drops about it Intell will be laying of another 5000. Heck Intel is already going to lay off more workers than this merger will produce. Intell can only realy drop prices till it hurts AMD in the short run, and they drop prices(intell that is) by laying off. Shortterm, nothing realy changes, longterm AMD/ATI will have the China/India and the first gpus on 45nm, way before NVDA.

karlotta said:
Its to late, Conroe as a platform is already made and working, R600 will be the chipset of choice for a highend dualgpu with conroe. Back to the ati internal review, How to get to 45nm and still have a company.... who can make 45nm before TSMC can get it going... hmmm Intell or AMD. ATi didnt throw in the towel, they brought the beer to the party. you think NVDA will be on 45nm before ATI? your smoking somthing. BAck to Conroe, just how many can Intel produce.. well it wont be all that much till around january. And if the buzz drops about it Intell will be laying of another 5000. Heck Intel is already going to lay off more workers than this merger will produce. Intell can only realy drop prices till it hurts AMD in the short run, and they drop prices(intell that is) by laying off. Shortterm, nothing realy changes, longterm AMD/ATI will have the China/India and the first gpus on 45nm, way before NVDA.

Process technology has nothing to do with it.

ATI got to 110nm first (X8xx).
Did it hurt NV40/45 ? No.

ATI got to 90nm first (X1xxx).
Did it hurt G70 or G71 ? No.

They consistently stole marketshare away from ATI on the high-end, keeping advanced processes for the mainstream and low-end parts first.
(If this sounds just like ATI on the R3xx generation, it's because they are using the same method).

In fact, they are preparing to do the same with G80 (still on 90nm, just like G71), and i suspect that won't matter once more.

Also, considering that AMD is already behind their own schedule (65nm and 300mm waffers should have began revenue shipping 6 months ago for wide availability right around now, and in the case of the 300mm waffers at Fab 36, it still isn't happening), i wouldn't put much faith on AMD's 45nm process being on time either.

Last edited by a moderator:
karlotta said:

India? India doesn't have the infrastructure to do basic chip building let alone anything this complex. I've looked into this quite a bit too. I think you might be smoking if you think India is going to be a forerunner in the microchip industry.

As Inkster said process advancement doesn't really have a huge effect on the GPU business, aslong as either company is one or two quarters behind or ahead. AMD doesn't have the capacity or speed of enginnering going to lower processes as Intel, is AMD on .65 yet? When will they be, end of this year? Well thats TSMC's goal also. AMD is going maybe 1 quarter faster if even that, then TSMC, or the other outsourcing fabs.

And its never too late when Intel has 70%+ of the market, check that "we are looking into it" from Intel about the bus license.

Razor1 said:
India? India doesn't have the infrastructure to do basic chip building let alone anything this complex. I've looked into this quite a bit too. I think you might be smoking if you think India is going to be a forerunner in the microchip industry.

Not manufacturing, but sales

karlotta said:
Not manufacturing, but sales

AMD won't make head way in India, Taxes are way too high, most computers sold in India sell with cheapo Intel celerons at the moment, AMD processors are close to 50% higher then P4's. To give you a pricing range, a 3500 + about 9 months back in India went for 20,000 RPS, which is around 500 bucks and to put that into persective a compaq system with a 3.0 ghz Intel went for 24k RPS. Here the 3500+ were about 250 bucks around that time. AMD systems go for a premium there because of Intel's aggresive price war and quite frankly "Intel" is king syndrome.

If ya want to know why I know this is because I got married around that time, and took a 3 month vacation and went to India with my wife ;) and had to build a system and took the parts from here since they were 50% less.

And thier too nV is "king" sydrome is very prevenlent and ATi cards other then very low ATi cards are very hard to find.

Lol, I've seen Indian (among other countries) hardware websites, they're much more full of fud and misinformation than American ones, often corporate sponsored by nvidia or Intel's Indian branch. Quite interesting to see something Intel sponsored saying Intel cpus are so much faster because of their higher mhz, and then compare the top of the line Intel dual core to an Athlon 64 single core with benchmarks all stacked in favor of the dual core.

From OCworkbench news section...
ATi and AMD respond...

amdativl6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back