Western Europe under heatwave?

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
I was reading paper the other day and saw a news article that Western Europe is passing through a "heat wave", London was at 38C so was Belgium.

So have the temp subsided now? What is the current scene.

Though to call 38C "heatwave".:LOL:

38C is hot?

In Australia I was wearing 2 shirts and a top on a 43C day.
Sorry but the rest of the world needs to keep up with Australia.

K.I.L.E.R said:
38C is hot?

In Australia I was wearing 2 shirts and a top on a 43C day.
Sorry but the rest of the world needs to keep up with Australia.

It hit a 46C heat index in Missouri several times this last week. Hottest week average in Missouri history is what they said I believe. It finally dropped down today but that brought in storms and even more humidity.

The whole world is under going a heat wave, it's called Global Warming.

Ty said:
The whole world is under going a heat wave, it's called Global Warming.
Afaik, South Australia and NZ are having a very cold winter...
Yesterday a city not too far from where I live, Ferrara, peaked at 40°C, while my Venice scored its all-time record, 36.6°C: luckily the humidity is pretty low, which is unusual: normally we stay on 31-33°C but with 50% or more relative humidity. In fact, although very hot, it wasn't too unpleasant yesterday.

You all gloaters deserve to get fried.

It may be difficult for you to believe, but here in northern Europe, over 25C is actually considered a heat wave. For one used to local climate, it also feels like a heat wave - personally, I feel pretty uncomfortable at 30C. We've had unusually good weather here for a while, but I'm actually quite happy that it's now back to normal (well maybe it could be a little better, but if temp climbs >= 20C and it does not rain too much, that's ideal for me).

Then again, most people enjoy having 80C in sauna, but you can leave at will so it's a bit different...

Well, im norwegian, and 35 C IS a "heat wave" here, if you concider we got 20-25C every winter at lowest.

How would pp react if it was winters with -25, and records -30C, and summer moved up to +30/35, with 20C in the middle of NIGHT? Here, 35/38 is hot.

Personally i dont really complain about 35, since ive once worked as seasonal worker in a greenhouse, where it was 30C in shadow outside(meaning, it WAS 40 or so inside).

could you in india/australia/whatever cope with equal low temperatures, to your peak high temperature? i probably could.

Australias the hottest planet in the world.
You people are all whingers.
Come live in Australia and see for yourself during summer.

The reason that 38-ish is called a heat-wave in europe is that since we usually have temps in the mid/upper 20s, it's not all that common with air conditioning. Hence, it becomes very warm and icky indoors when temps climb above 30, especially at night when one is trying to sleep.

I know what you mean.
It's worse when your undergarments(I don't wear any) start smelling funny and stink up the house.

Guden Oden said:
The reason that 38-ish is called a heat-wave in europe is that since we usually have temps in the mid/upper 20s, it's not all that common with air conditioning. Hence, it becomes very warm and icky indoors when temps climb above 30, especially at night when one is trying to sleep.

K.I.L.E.R said:
:LOL:

Melbourne isn't too bad, I went up to the Gold Coast for a holiday recently at Surfer's Paradise. I spent most of my time in the hotel, was afraid to go outside due to heat and humidity. :LOL:

kimg said:
Well, im norwegian, and 35 C IS a "heat wave" here, if you concider we got 20-25C every winter at lowest.

How would pp react if it was winters with -25, and records -30C, and summer moved up to +30/35, with 20C in the middle of NIGHT? Here, 35/38 is hot.

It sure is, it has never been that hot in Norway...

It will be interesting to see how it turns out if the oceanic currents get screwed due to climate change...

Same here, Wednesday we broke a 96 year old record. It's been hotter in certain areas in the country though, but not at the site that has been tracking weather temperatures for well over a century (De Bilt).

What makes it a lot worse in a country like the Netherlands though is that we have a sea-climate and humidity is really high. That makes it so much harder to bear. I've been in Spain and France with 40%, cycling in the Sun, but that was easier to bear.

For me it's tough - I can't sleep very well. Our houses are generally well insulated, but not airconditioned - only at work and in most hotels airconditioning is common, but even there it doesn't work all that well always. My office is actually in the middle of the move - I have to work most of the weekend, but even in the office the temperature is over 25C at the moment with high levels of humidity still. Most of the offices are actually only airconditioned as long as someone is present in them. That works great normally, but now that only the guys like us are working to get the workplaces and computer systems in order, it's not so great.

K.I.L.E.R said:

What is the humidity like? Its often 43C~ in Arizona here in the US, but its actually pretty nice because its a very dry heat. On the other hand, any time it gets past about 33C in Missouri its hell because a day doesnt go by that the humidity isnt sky high and it feels like you have a bucket of hot water on you.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/22/ny.blackouts.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- A blackout in the borough of Queens entered its sixth day Saturday in the hottest week of the summer with the mayor saying chances were small that the problem could be repaired by the end of the weekend.

Some 15,000 to 20,000 customers -- which could be one person or an entire apartment building -- still had no electricity Saturday.

:oops:

i love hot wheather, the only problem is i cant go anywhere intresting outside with my 2 year old . and yes humidity is very high.. sweating like there is no tomorow. you really cant compare this with 35+C and dry wheather

K.I.L.E.R said:
Heh, here in Phoenix, AZ it was almost 48C yesterday. Average is around 43C during the summer.

Oh yeah and a storm rolled in raising humidity levels a fair amount as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
and when i check weeronline.nl ( a dutch wheatersite, it would be 51 for today???) what the hell. how can you guys live there?

hey69 said:
and when i check weeronline.nl ( a dutch wheatersite, it would be 51 for today???) what the hell. how can you guys live there?

By having aggressive airconditioning everywhere, thus contributing to global warming and pollution a fair bit. :LOL:

Back