Was the Getaway at E3 2006 real time?

I just rewatched the trailer and it looks really good but the dust particles, make me wonder how much of that is real game graphics, so was there anything mentioned about being real time?

I think it is, the only thing that kinda looked out of place was the detail of the main character with the gun. The whole enviroment looked on par with the trailer shown at e3 05 and tech demo at GDC. Would be nice to have confirmation though.

edit: heres a bad quality clip of the GDC showing tech demo of The Getaway.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3tYkKjshWhI&search=getaway gdc

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad_Boy said:
I think it is, the only thing that kinda looked out of place was the detail of the main character with the gun. The whole enviroment looked on par with the trailer shown at e3 05 and tech demo at GDC. Would be nice to have confirmation though.

edit: heres a bad quality clip of the GDC showing tech demo of The Getaway.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3tYkKjshWhI&search=getaway gdc

yeah the enviroment outside looked as I expected it to but the segment in the hallway is what threw me off. It would definitely be awesome to know for a fact if it was all real though because it was one of my best looking games from E3:smile:

CassidyIzABeast said:
yeah the enviroment outside looked as I expected it to but the segment in the hallway is what threw me off. It would definitely be awesome to know for a fact if it was all real though because it was one of my best looking games from E3:smile:
I completely agree. Getaway looks nothing less than amazing, it would be nice to have some confirmation on that e3 06 trailer/teaser.

Atleast we could of got some high res screens by now.

Bad_Boy said:
I completely agree. Getaway looks nothing less than amazing, it would be nice to have some confirmation on that e3 06 trailer/teaser.

Atleast we could of got some high res screens by now.
Well, the PS meeting is close. We'll probably get confirmation there.

I think nobody knows but the consensus at the time was that it is not real time.

I'd go with that until proven otherwise, because it looks a little too good.

TNT3 said:
I think nobody knows but the consensus at the time was that it is not real time.

I'd go with that until proven otherwise, because it looks a little too good.

i never doubted it was all realtime.I still think it was.

Looking at that E3 '06 trailer for the first time (from GameTrailers) I have to say the trees looked really good! and the population did look natural. Dissecting it, what was there beyond realtimeability? I understand the crowd and vehicles is all realtime, as we've seen a couple of such demos. The graphics themselves weren't beyond what we've seen elsewhere. The interior quality was very highly detailed, but if they're just modelling a few key locations, that level of detail is doable (must be very expensive though). Nothing in it makes me think it's unbelievable. Quite the contrary, there's something of a flatness to the buildings and scenery that I think can be improved on! But the trees were great. I hope they're procedurally generated as needed, so we get real variety rather than a few cut and paste copies of the same model.

Shifty Geezer said:
Looking at that E3 '06 trailer for the first time (from GameTrailers) I have to say the trees looked really good! and the population did look natural. Dissecting it, what was there beyond realtimeability? I understand the crowd and vehicles is all realtime, as we've seen a couple of such demos. The graphics themselves weren't beyond what we've seen elsewhere. The interior quality was very highly detailed, but if they're just modelling a few key locations, that level of detail is doable (must be very expensive though). Nothing in it makes me think it's unbelievable. Quite the contrary, there's something of a flatness to the buildings and scenery that I think can be improved on! But the trees were great. I hope they're procedurally generated as needed, so we get real variety rather than a few cut and paste copies of the same model.

Hey Shifty look at this video of the 8 Days car being shot down. Just taking a look at the quality of the car and the physics does this make you believe that part of the 8 Days video shown at E3 2006 could have been real?

Just fast forward to 1:47 of the video that's where it begins.

mckmas8808 said:
Hey Shifty look at this video of the 8 Days car being shot down. Just taking a look at the quality of the car and the physics does this make you believe that part of the 8 Days video shown at E3 2006 could have been real?

Just fast forward to 1:47 of the video that's where it begins.
forget the link? :)

8 days later - Car Tech Demo:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=phZQWtTAP5Q&search=gdc tech demo

8 days later - Gas Station Demo:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8025980825115926132&q=gas+station+ps3

If it comes from Sony or for a Sony platform, I've learned to be extra cautious. Until I see it playable to the public, and it's near release date, I will take it with a grain of salt. (I've been burned far too many times, GT:Mobile, Original Getaway, MotorStorm, WarHawk, Resistance: Fall of Man, Gunam PS3, etc.)

What do you mean by warhawk?
it looks just as good today as the video did during e3 2005, if not better looking.

gt:mobile, i don think has been shown yet. and Gundam for PS3 isnt made by sony iirc.

I would think that it is all real time. We have seen so much demontration of this game that it would be much cheaper to make it real time than faking it.

Proelite said:
I would think that it is all real time. We have seen so much demontration of this game that it would be much cheaper to make it real time than faking it.
Yeah i feel the same way. The only thing that is questionable is the 18 wheeler crash. Pretty much the most impressive showing of destruction in next gen, if indeed real time.

Bad_Boy said:
What do you mean by warhawk?
it looks just as good today as the video did during e3 2005, if not better looking.

gt:mobile, i don think has been shown yet. and Gundam for PS3 isnt made by sony iirc.
Maybe it can be blamed as the small screens, but the character models shown do not grab me like last year, and there have been improvements to the game from the trailer, it just feels off to me from last year.

GT:Mobile, they truly had me believing that was actual footage from the game, when all it was in reality was GT4 video on the PSP. I also did say games on the Sony platform, which covered Gundam.

And with the reports that Lair is looking less than spectacular (I knew this recent E3 trailer was pre-rendered, but the previous ones, I truly believed were real), I'm starting to question if the majority of what Sony showed last year is possible on the PS3. Heavenly Sword is the only thing I have faith in anymore. (And maybe Polyphony can wow us still, with the actual GT5)

Last edited by a moderator:
EpicZero said:
Maybe it can be blamed as the small screens, but the character models shown do not grab me like last year, and there have been improvements to the game from the trailer, it just feels off to me from last year.
Well to be honest I dont really think we have seen the "beef" of Warhawk yet, just one level and some snippets of ground gameplay on the website. IMO Everything so far looks on par from what we have seen before. The developers mention several times in interviews that their are much more enviroments and gameplay (like hundreds of planes on screen) we havent seen just yet. Similar stuff with resistance: fall of man.

EpicZero said:
GT:Mobile, they truly had me believing that was actual footage from the game, when all it was in reality was GT4 video on the PSP. I also did say games on the Sony platform, which covered Gundam.
I dont think we really have seen enough of GT:Mobile to make any assessments on what it actually was. I do remember the super AA'ed up shots though, but that wouldnt be any different from the recent gears of war shots. Fact is, we havent seen anything or heard anything about GT:Mobile for a while.

And about Gundam, Do you think Sony should get the bad rep for Bandai's trailer and development? Thats like saying microsoft is at fault for frame city killer. Doesnt really seem fair to me. But I understand how you feel with motorstorm. The orginal Getaway, not so much, the early shots werent that different from the final. Same with resistance.

EpicZero said:
And with the reports that Lair is looking less than spectacular (I knew this recent E3 trailer was pre-rendered, but the previous ones, I truly believed were real), I'm starting to question if the majority of what Sony showed last year is possible on the PS3. Heavenly Sword is the only thing I have faith in anymore. (And maybe Polyphony can wow us still, with the actual GT5)
I dont understand what you mean about Lair, the previous trailers and tech demos were indeed real. And did look spectacular. The e3 2006 trailer is kinda up in the air though

Back