Japanese Mag: Wii vs PS3

I think so too. True, Nintendo will gain more market share compared to the GC, but for the most part that gain will result from regular folks, who never even touched a gamepad or at least only in their early years, buying the wii for similar content they can expirience on the DS.

I think nintendo will sell more globally than any of the other 2 this gen. Almost anyone I ask about it is at least considering buying the new nintendo, even though they skipped the cube.

Most people are tired of the same games with upgraded graphics. And sony has not even upgraded the controller since the release of the dual shock on ps1 gen. It's basically always same ol with better gphx on sony's camp.

Arwin said:
I'm not sure. But I do think that the PSP has a decent lifespan ahead of it. The release of proper Tekken, MGS and Final Fantasy games in the future should help. The performance of NSMB vs Loco Roco really shows you what a strong brand-name can do.

Anyway, I predict the same for the Wii - on the short term, they should be able to pull ahead of the PS3.

Do you realise how far DS is ahead of PSP?, or just how much it outsells PSP week after week? This idea of DS only pulling ahead of PSP in the short term was ok back in early 2005, but now its just a little far fetched..

Last edited by a moderator:
Teasy said:
Do you realise how far DS is ahead of PSP?, or just how much it outsells PSP week after week? This idea of DS only pulling ahead of PSP in the short term was ok back in early 2005, but now its just a little far fetched..

Curious, it has been a while: what are the current hardware penetrations total and by market?

Dunno. I'll just say that there recently was a slight stagnation in DS sales, but that was not because people didn't want more, they were simply waiting for the DS Lite. Some might have interpreted that as the PSP pulling even. Keep that in mind if you do find sales data from April/May/June in the US or EU.

It would take me a while to get total Japanese sales for DS and PSP Acert, I might have them later. But I can give you the totals for 2006 so far, which are 3.9 million for DS and 1 million for PSP.

DS's dominance has gotten significantly worse/better in the last few months since DS Lite was released as well. DS/DSLite has sold 3 million units since DSLites release and PSP has sold 550,000 in the same time. So DS/DSLite has been outselling PSP on average by over 5 to 1 since DSLite released four and a half months ago.

The DS and PSP are pretty break-even in NA and Europe right now (with approx ~5 million in each market, I think?), but the DS is ahead by about 2.5x in Japan.

(2004-2005's numbers were 4 million for the DS and ~2.25 for the PSP. 2006's [as of June 25th] have so far been 925k DS / 2.5 DS-lite and 900k PSP.

Current totals, then, are around 7.5 million DS and 3 million PSP. I think the software sales totals are even higher in the DS advantage, though. (Not sure about NA or EU. I REALLY wish they had Japan's quality tracking data.)

It's difinitively kicking ass in Japan, still maintaining a sales lead, and unlikely to slow down much (maybe it will only keep outselling by 3:1 or 2:1 as opposed to 5:1 in a few months ;) ), but the PSP is certainly not a "no presence" item. The DS is simply a fad. ^_^ Nintendo's lead is not precisely shocking, but for the first time in basically FOREVER they actually has a challenge in the arena.

I think the longterm strength of both in all markets will in many ways have to do with what new and interesting things they bring to the portable arena--but moreover--just how well they can tie them in with their land-bound consoles. (Hopefully Ninty will do better than their abortive GBA/GC link, which mainly failed--IMHO--due to complexity of the connection. Not to mention NO developmental backing unless it seemed to "prove itself" overly with the first few titles that did anything at all. Wirelessness changes that rather mightily.)

In Japan's shortterm surrounding Wii's launch, however, it should be mightily affected by the Wii's novelty, PS3's looming budgetary woes, and basically anything they can tie in with the DS.

189069789_9a89c0b1e7_o.png

Yeah DS has just been a fad for the last 2 years cthellis42, I'm sure PSP will start to outsell DS soon :LOL:

TheChefO said:
If one takes Japan out of the projected success of ps3, it appears their strongest market this gen will be Europe. As has been pointed out, Europeans will not be facing sticker shock with ps3 as the price is very close to the launch price of ps2 in this region.

A little off topic, but I would just like to take issue with the price being similar to the PS2in Europe, the PS3 is AFAIK only releasing in the high spec variety, and is predicted to cost £425 in the UK, £125 more than the PS3 or about 40% higher, i know it's still much less than the 100% rise the PS3 sees over the PS2 in the US (for the 60gb model), but i think a lot of people are still surprised at the price here, some quotes from the British website Computerandvideogames.com regarding the price here

C&VG forum member said:
Regardless of what the PS3 can now do or will be able to do in the future i simply can't afford it which means, as much as i loved having my ps1 and ps2, i'm not getting one.

another C&VG forum member said:
I don't want to sound brash but I could afford one but I am simply not buying a games consol for that price. also when parents spend say max 200 quid on a christmas / birthday present, they're not going to suddely start splashing out £500 quid on one.

and another C&VG forum member said:
I have no bias towards any machine & have owned pretty much every console released in UK & some that were not, but for what Sony are offering & at the price it will most likely cost which I have a bad feeling could be upwards of £450 I will not be giving them my hard earned cash even if i had the cash to spare i wouldnt buy it on principle.

one last C&VG forum member said:
This product might be fantasic but lets face it when you can buy a (PS3 package deal £550+) and instead buy a 360 + Wii + DS Lite + games then what do Sony expect people to do, flock to Game shops in the millions to buy a PS3. NO, I don't think so.

People aren't labelling the PS3 crap - just VERY, VERY expensive.

All taken from here

That's just in one thread, there are countless more. You could argue the fact they're on a gaming website doesn't make them representitive of the general population, and that they English, not European, but as far as i'm concerned it's irrelevant. If gamers won't pay that much, can we expect casuals to? And if the UK won't pay that, why will Europe? The PS3 is more expensive than anything in the last 10 years or so in all 3 major territories, and i think if the same poll were conducted here or in the US as in Japan, you'd see 360 or Wii coming in higher that PS3 in all territories.

the ps2 launched at 20750 Belgian frank that equals to 520 EURO! take indexation into acount and the price difference is very very small!

Just counted up DS and PSP sales in Japan, totals are 9.4 million for DS and 3.5 million for PSP.

hey69 said:
the ps2 launched at 20750 Belgian frank that equals to 520 EURO! take indexation into acount and the price difference is very very small!

It has been the same price here, but I didnt get one and it as beeen long before I know anyone who get it, althought PSOne used to be very popular, PS2 only become somewhat popular (ie knowing than 2-3 guys who bought it) 2 years after, only much later it started to become a "usual" product (ie many who wanted one, had one, but not all).

Paul_G said:
If gamers won't pay that much, can we expect casuals to?
No, no casual gamer is likely to spend upwards of 200 bucks for any machine. At launch PS3 likely won't appeal to people just after a console. Look instead to the 20-30 somethings with disposable income and a passion for technology. Most people buy after launch, after the launch price. How many of these people complaining about price bought an XB or PS2 at launch with their launch prices?

The question of how many sales are lost to the high price is intrinsically tied to the rate at which price falls. Similarly on the Wii, the long term sales is dependant on how well people take to the new controller. I don't find it surprising to see the cheap Wii with it's newfangled interface is garnering a lot of interest at launch. That interest doesn't extrapolate nicely into a guarenteed long-term success though. In a year's time, there could be a situation where people are tired of Wii because the initial novelty of it's new controls has worn of and owners find it's too much effort to play without enough real depth to the games, while PS3's price has dropped to something they're willing to spend for a multi-function device. Or Wii has taken the world by storm offering the new gaming way so impressive no-one cares for the old ways. No-one can tell at this point, and no amount of surveys and forums and questionnaires will give long-term insight - they can only tell you what people's current opinion is.

Shifty Geezer said:
The question of how many sales are lost to the high price is intrinsically tied to the rate at which price falls. Similarly on the Wii, the long term sales is dependant on how well people take to the new controller. I don't find it surprising to see the cheap Wii with it's newfangled interface is garnering a lot of interest at launch. That interest doesn't extrapolate nicely into a guarenteed long-term success though. In a year's time, there could be a situation where people are tired of Wii because the initial novelty of it's new controls has worn of and owners find it's too much effort to play without enough real depth to the games, while PS3's price has dropped to something they're willing to spend for a multi-function device. Or Wii has taken the world by storm offering the new gaming way so impressive no-one cares for the old ways. No-one can tell at this point, and no amount of surveys and forums and questionnaires will give long-term insight - they can only tell you what people's current opinion is.

I honestly don't know as regards Wii what people will think of it. Personally i'm sceptical of it's ability perform in terms of actual sales. I think as a novelty it will do well, but like you say, it may be too much effort and the controller (even the 'regular style' one) is too far removed from the 360/ps3 pad to allow types of game other consoles enjoy to be played on it. I would LOVE to be proved wrong however, i think the industry needs a shakeup and Wii is just the device to do it.

In terms of the PS3, again, i agree with you, but it's the time taken reaching that pricepoint that is important. Historically, the first price cut is about £100/$100. That means in the UK, a machine will still cost £325, £50 more than a 360, and over £100 more than the predicted price of a Wii. They could go lower or higher than this, but ultimately they've set themselves quite a challenge by trying to take on a machine that is doing the vast majority of the things theirs is doing for over £100 less. I think most would agree that 360 is going to hit any given pricepoint before PS3 does for the next couple of years, so on that basis, wouldn't most casuals (assuming Fifa/GTA etc are on there) buy the first console to hit that price?

Personally I think that wii long term life is dependant only in 2 things, quantity and qualitity of SW released on it (like in every console), as long as there is new, good and enought SW any console keeps selling.

Paul_G said:
I think most would agree that 360 is going to hit any given pricepoint before PS3 does for the next couple of years, so on that basis, wouldn't most casuals (assuming Fifa/GTA etc are on there) buy the first console to hit that price?
I don't know, but as pointed out in another thread, those key titles only represent some 20% at best of a console user base. eg. eg. Only 10% of US PS2 owners bought into one of it's top selling franchises, Madden. I think the point where people buy a console just to play a couple of games is when it's very cheap. While the price remains higher, it'll likely be a more considered purchase, factoring in all the other games and features as well - would you buy the cheapest console to play GTA and FIFA (if you like those games) that has no other games you like, when for another £100 you can buy a console that plays those games plus another dozen you're interested in? I dunno. I'm not even going to hazard a guess what the main potential buyers for the following couple of years are going by on their criteria! There's so many variables, BluRay playback, software library, marketting, novelty interfaces (Wii, DS3 and EyeToy), online content, etc. that can influence the result, a couple of glances at pricepoint isn't going to give any insight. I know market analysts try to predict the future by analysing data, but in this area it's mostly guesswork. May as well chop up a fish and read it's entrails for all the real insight into the future it'll give you!

Teasy said:
Yeah DS has just been a fad for the last 2 years cthellis42, I'm sure PSP will start to outsell DS soon :LOL:
Ok, i definitely wouldn't say DS in Japan has the same publarity as in Ipod, which is not a fad. Now, let look at the facts again:
1.Nintendo always had healthy handheld sells, although as robust.
2.All current gen. consoles has reached their peak in tech and potential, I would imagine the Japanese are tired of the games on them and want something fresh.
3.PSP falls in this category being though it has similar games but handy-capped.
4.Japanese don't care about Mircosoft and their consoles.
In conclusion, the more devs use the potential of PSP the more it will sell...not more than DS but sell better than what it has been selling. Also, there's nothing out at the moment, to me that explains DS's sells. Since all consoles reached their peak, it's time for something new. We will see how well DS sells when next gens systems come out.

Back