What Are The Fastests Cells Out in "The Wild"?

Odd. I heard:
--Cell going into mass production soon and to get 7 good SPE's, clockspeed is 2.4 GHz like in dev kits. 3.2 GHz Cell yields were "catastrophic". Sony is intent on delivering 2 million units for worldwide launch. Lack of 65nm "killed hopes" of a 3.2 GHz Cell.
Whether it is true or not...

emotiiam8ux.gif

Arsynic said:
Smells like BS...
Yeah, that's what I thought too. But the source is so unrepentently convinced by this belief, that it's hard not to at least ponder the possibility. I'm sure the possibility that 2.4GHz Cell's being final spec must have crossed your mind once or twice too?

With Sony now withholding numbers from their publicity materials, it does somewhat reduce the likeliness of developers commenting, but I guess it's worth a shot.

Mmmkay said:
Yeah, that's what I thought too. But the source is so unrepentently convinced by this belief, that it's hard not to at least ponder the possibility. I'm sure the possibility that 2.4GHz Cell's being final spec must have crossed your mind once or twice too?

With Sony now withholding numbers from their publicity materials, it does somewhat reduce the likeliness of developers commenting, but I guess it's worth a shot.
Yeah, I looked on the official PS page and the detailed specs sheet from last year has been replaced by an ambiguous marketing page. It just has Cell and RSX with no speed next to them.

I was hoping some devs could tip-toe around the NDA to give an off-the-record statement.

If you're just talking about Cells, then I know a guy who has one of the Mercury Eval units with a dual Cell blade installed (2x3.2GHz (and all 8 SPEs are hot))...

Mmmkay, isn't that 'source' the Charlie D/Inquirer/Red Cloak/Fishie/Kotaku 'Axis of FUD?'

I would seriously suggest just tossing that 'info' into the trash. ;)

archie4oz said:
If you're just talking about Cells, then I know a guy who has one of the Mercury Eval units with a dual Cell blade installed (2x3.2GHz (and all 8 SPEs are hot))...
Two Cells at 3.2 GHz? Does he wear a white space suit and work in an all white, dust-free room? If so, that's not "in the wild". :p

Eh? Was that directed at me? I've personally used it, and there's no problem getting ahold of 3.2GHz Cells from Mercury. You just have to front some serious $$$.

archie said:
Eh? Was that directed at me? I've personally used it, and there's no problem getting ahold of 3.2GHz Cells from Mercury
That's a lie and you know it. Sony hasn't confirmed the clock speeds at E3 which obviously means 3.2Ghz Cells never existsed outside of IBM labs, and they will be lucky to have them running even at 2ghz without overheating. :oops:

Fafalada said:
That's a lie and you know it. Sony hasn't confirmed the clock speeds at E3 which obviously means 3.2Ghz Cells never existsed outside of IBM labs, and they will be lucky to have them running even at 2ghz without overheating. :oops:

Faf the irony is, even though you're clearly poking fun at the whole thing, I wouldn't be surprised if this very post of yours started turning up around the net as 'proof' of the 'dire' Cell situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Megadrive1988 said:
what happened to the 4.6 GHz CELLs ? and the SPEs that were tested at well over 5 GHz ?
please dont make that into another "but sony promissed" urban rumor

those are lab results testing "perfect" samples. Watts consumption was not a problem.
Ps3 was advertised has having "pstwo" noise, so there goes your 4.6ghz

xbdestroya said:
Faf the irony is, even though you're clearly poking fun at the whole thing, I wouldn't be surprised if this very post of yours started turning up around the net as 'proof' of the 'dire' Cell situation.

the Inquier may use this site as "devloper source" id guess, yes.

Problem is, its too few open, plain information sources. Ppl want info, and its nothing there. So, rumors start go.

"We want to know about Cell, and if we can't find any information, we'll just make our own up."

Interesting philosophy...

Fafalada said:

:LOL: Oh Faf, that is gonna come back and bite you one way or another!

Seriously folks, take Faf's firm tongue in cheek irony as a hint: toss the stupid rumors.

Ps- I see hear Faf's ears burning red right now as Sony floods his place of work with venomous phone calls demanding a retraction!

Megadrive1988 said:
what happened to the 4.6 GHz CELLs ? and the SPEs that were tested at well over 5 GHz ?

Like those 10GHz P4's in Intel's labs... as already mentioned above: ideal conditions in a lab. ;)

fafalada said:
That's a lie and you know it. Sony hasn't confirmed the clock speeds at E3 which obviously means 3.2Ghz Cells never existsed outside of IBM labs, and they will be lucky to have them running even at 2ghz without overheating.

Phooey! You're just peeved 'cause your Al box and pile of LEDs are out of date.. ;)

Back