Problem after installing Windows XP HE Up

rainz

Veteran
Hi guys,

I Just formatted and reinstalled Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade Inc SP2 on my girlfriend's computer.

And .. After multiple reboots .. isntalled all the drivers.. IF i remove the WinXP CD in the CDrom .. I receive a msg " NTLDR Missing Please CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot " Or something similar as this message.

I thought.. okay something might be wrong so i reinstalled everything (after i formatted AGAIN) and i receive the same message after each times i reboot without the WinXP CD in the CDrom.. BUT if the CD is in the CDrom .. everything work fine .. ?!

I've never seen such thing.. And my own WinXP is an upgrade too..

Any advices will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

RainZ

Might be that you set the CD as the preferred boot device in your BIOS? Switch that to HDD and you should be fine.

Nope it was at..

1 Floppy
2 CDrom
3 Hard Disk

and in this order ( a correct one ) .. with the CD in the CDrom .. everything is fine ... and without the CD in the CDrom ... NTLDR is missing ... ?!?!

And i tried .. for the fun

1 Hard Disk
2 none
3 none

NO BOOT ! ... (With the CD or without the CD .. doesnt matter NO boot)

So if i set back to the first example ... everything works fine with the CD .. but without it's another story ...

I'm starting to think if this is not a new kind of protection or dont know what ..
This WinXP HE Upg is brandnew .. like 2 weeks old.

Any ideas ?

RainZ

Ok .. just discovered the problem .. no matter what .. new format new partition installing on drive C or D ... doesnt matter .. each times there's no BOOT.INI, NTLDETECT.COM NTLDR.INI installed in the root ... But after copying the 2 NT and creating a Boot.ini everything works fine ... Faulty WinXP CD i guess ?

RainZ

rainz said:
Ok .. just discovered the problem .. no matter what .. new format new partition installing on drive C or D ... doesnt matter .. each times there's no BOOT.INI, NTLDETECT.COM NTLDR.INI installed in the root ... But after copying the 2 NT and creating a Boot.ini everything works fine ... Faulty WinXP CD i guess ?

RainZ
I had the exact same problems as you almost a month ago. I formatted my PC and reinstalled windows XP professional twice. But i always received the same error.

The funny thing is that if you set the CD rom as your primary boot device, after asking you to press a button to boot from the pc, if you dont press any button, the pc will boot up normally.

I resolved the problem exactly the same way as you did, i copied those two files, NTDETECT.COM and NTLDR.INI from the windows xp installation disc, and created a boot.ini file, you have to put those 3 files in your default HDD, ie: "C:"

Strange problem that one, as it has happenned to me twice already, i really dont know whats the real cause of that problem yet.

Back