Substituting RCA for component cables?

ninzel

Veteran
I just read recently in a 360 image quality comparison that you can in a pinch substitute RCA cablesfor component.
I don't have my Gamecube component video cables anymore but I want to go back and play MP again so I was wondering how you would substitute the cables?
Are these just your regular composite cables plugged into the component video jacks or something else?

I assume with "rca", they mean a coaxial cable with a RCA (also known as "phono") connector in either end.

As gamecube, PS2 and 360 all lack discrete connector outputs for component video, it'll be a bit tough substituting a dedicated cable with these consoles, but I assume it could work with say, stand-alone DVD players to a TV/receiver or such.

Also, I wouldn't suggest using standard audio leads, as the shielding is pretty mediocre on these, and video bandwidth demands are much greater than the line level audio signal that are ordinarily passed through such cables. Picture quality might suffer, but a layman's guess would be it can't really be harmful to the equipment just trying it...

Guden Oden said:
I assume with "rca", they mean a coaxial cable with a RCA (also known as "phono") connector in either end.

As gamecube, PS2 and 360 all lack discrete connector outputs for component video, it'll be a bit tough substituting a dedicated cable with these consoles, but I assume it could work with say, stand-alone DVD players to a TV/receiver or such.

Also, I wouldn't suggest using standard audio leads, as the shielding is pretty mediocre on these, and video bandwidth demands are much greater than the line level audio signal that are ordinarily passed through such cables. Picture quality might suffer, but a layman's guess would be it can't really be harmful to the equipment just trying it...

"RCA" cables are composite/component cables and yes you can use them as replacements for component cables. Just use non crappy cables and you'll be fine. I don't see why you think that audio RCA connectors in general are poorly shielded. It all depends on how the cable was manufactured. You can swap any composite/component cable out for another and have it work fine, there are no "audio specific" ends.

The Gamecube doesn't have component out on the back of the box though. It has a proprietary connector, which you can buy a cable that fits that at one end and component at the other. I don't think there's a way to go from Gamecube to component without that cable.

There's nothing magical about component cables, the only thing you need to be aware of is that they should have 75 Ohm impedance (hope that's the correct english term). Basically all coaxial cables designed for video will work, e.g. standard antenna cable or composite video cables. The quality might vary of course, but you can buy very high quality cable for around a dollar per meter.

So it's a no go them,since the GC has the propreitery connecter. Unlike the first Xbox where you could plug any component cables into the adapter. Sucks. :cry:

ninzel said:
So it's a no go them,since the GC has the propreitery connecter. Unlike the first Xbox where you could plug any component cables into the adapter. Sucks. :cry:

Microsoft later released a new component cable adapter for the xbox that had the cables built in. It was cheaper though.

And you could use RCA cables as a substitute if the outputs were there. I've done it with a DVD player for both video and digital audio. Works perfectly.

OtakingGX said:
The Gamecube doesn't have component out on the back of the box though. It has a proprietary connector, which you can buy a cable that fits that at one end and component at the other. I don't think there's a way to go from Gamecube to component without that cable.

The Gamecube component video cable also has a DAC built into the cable, so unless your cable has that, you are out of luck. The output back there is digital only, both audio and video.

ninzel said:
With the Xbox you still need a special component adapter to plug into the proprietary connection on the back of the console.

Reznor007 said:
The Gamecube component video cable also has a DAC built into the cable, so unless your cable has that, you are out of luck. The output back there is digital only, both audio and video.

Bold by me.

I have one of those cables and I still need to use the regular one for sound. So what audio is supposed to be transmitted along the component cable if the component cable only has RCA connectors for video?

People also sell homemade ones that use the GCN connector that then terminate to VGA so are you sure there is a DAC in that cable?

Ty said:
Bold by me.

I have one of those cables and I still need to use the regular one for sound. So what audio is supposed to be transmitted along the component cable if the component cable only has RCA connectors for video?

People also sell homemade ones that use the GCN connector that then terminate to VGA so are you sure there is a DAC in that cable?

Yes, there is a DAC in the cable, the VGA cables modify the DAC to convert to VGA instead of component. VGA is still analog.
And the port does output digital sound, but I've only see homemade cables make use of it. Not sure what the point would be, I'd imagine dolby pro logic 2 over a single digital cable has the same limitations as dolby pro logic 2 over 2 analog cables.

RCA is just the cable type, Component and Composite cables are both using RCA cables. And yeah you could do it, but you'd need to open up the end of the cable that connects into the x360 and resolder the yellow white and red cables to the correct pins for component. You'd still need ones for sound though, unless you can do without it.

Back