Avivo & h264

Apple740

Newcomer
I thought that my X1900XTX was capable of playing 1080i/p h264 smoothly, thnx to
the marvelous Avivo. But now i've tried it, but can't get it smooth. Ofcourse not, a CPU usage of 99%!

So what's the problem? I use the Cyberlink/Ati h264 trial codec/player and some .ts h264 source material.

h264.jpg

H264 is supposedly broken with the Cyberlink Codec and some later drivers.
http://www.behardware.com/html/news/?date=12-04-2006#8117 said:
ATI indicated us that the decompression engine used by Cyberlink's codec is still the one that was released in December and that in the meantime (4 months), a more efficient version has been integrated in the drivers. As it has a different interface, it can't be exploited by Cyberlink's codec. The older acceleration engine disappeared from the recently released Catalyst 6.4 version (we used the 6.3 for this test), so it means that they will no longer accelerate H.264 decoding. We will have to wait for the Catalyst 6.5 or 6.6 for the new engine to be exploited and/or exploitable. Cyberlink apparently don't want to change their codec, so ATI will have to find a way to use the new engine when the codec calls the previous one.

Apple740 said:
Well, as we can see in the first post it still doesn't work with 6.6
Well, the part about 6.5 or 6.6 was obviously just speculation on the part of BeHardware. Unless you absolutely need 6.6 you could downgrade to 6.3 (at least temporarily) for troubleshooting purposes.

Edit: BTW. How is it obvious from the first post that you're using Cat. 6.6? I haven't messed around with video acceleration in the latest couple of drivers, so I wouldn't know...

Last edited by a moderator:
Zaphod said:
Well, the part about 6.5 or 6.6 was obviously just speculation on the part of BeHardware. Unless you absolutely need 6.6 you could downgrade to 6.3 (at least temporarily) for troubleshooting purposes.

I just went from 6.6 to 6.3. With PowerDVD7 the CPU usage went from 99 to ~40-90, and playback becomes much smoother, however far from perfect.
If i play it with Windowsmediaplayer the CPU usage stays @ 99% and very choppy playback. I think you must go back to 5.13 but i can't install this driver with my X1900.

Edit: BTW. How is it obvious from the first post that you're using Cat. 6.6?

It isn't.

Apple740 said:
It isn't.
Right. Thought I might have missed something when you said "as we can see in the first post it still doesn't work with 6.6". Sorry about that.

I guess that kinda' sucks, and the question then becomes: who to be mad at the most? ATI or Cyberlink? Considering my experience with their tech suport and products in general, my money is on the latter (but the jury is not in yet)...

Back