Sony p∞s Controller

aldo

Newcomer
DigitalBattle - Sony Japan has trademarked the new PlayStation 3 controller as “P oo Sâ€￾. If it doesn’t make sense, imagine the “ooâ€￾ as representation of the dual analog sticks. This is still a Japan-only thing. It’s the same concept as Wii, where “iiâ€￾ are two Wiimotes/players. So now we have Wii, PooS, and hopefully Microsoft will jump on the wagon with “X33″.
Controllers named after bodily functions. How can you not get excited about that.

Actually Guden may have left us a little cryptic hint back in September:
Guden Oden said:
In fact, I think that's the reactions most people will have upon seeing this thing. Funny, I just recalled I lambasted both Sony and MS for coming up with a pair of such excruciatingly boring controllers for their consoles, yet when someone does something different, almost everybody immediately poo-poos the idea. "Yes, we wanted something different, but not THAT!"
The poo and the poos; Playstation Infinity and Playstation Infinity Shock (includes rumble feature)?
But seriously, if this is the new name, "p∞s", then the infinity makes sense in that there is infinitely more control with the motion sensing. Could the "s" stand for "shock" with a possibility that Sony might include it in the final version?

Anybody want to take a stab, serious or otherwise, at what the p ∞ s characters stand for? Could expect some interesting responses. :smile:

-aldo

Interesting but sounds stupid due to the English word :LOL:

I hope they do implement the rumble feature though

That's an infinity symbol and doesn't look like double o's to me. I don't know how it'd be pronounced though. Pinfinities? A stupid looking trademark if true.

I'm pretty sure it's a typed interpretation of a drawing. The P and S are possibly just the regular Playstation symbol in the actual drawing, with the infinity symbol fitting in "somewhere".

Best

aldo said:
Controllers named after bodily functions. How can you not get excited about that.

Actually Guden may have left us a little cryptic hint back in September:
The poo and the poos; Playstation Infinity and Playstation Infinity Shock (includes rumble feature)?
But seriously, if this is the new name, "p∞s", then the infinity makes sense in that there is infinitely more control with the motion sensing. Could the "s" stand for "shock" with a possibility that Sony might include it in the final version?

Anybody want to take a stab, serious or otherwise, at what the p ∞ s characters stand for? Could expect some interesting responses. :smile:

-aldo

This is my favorite thread my friend, thank you for this great joke! :)

Playstation Infinity Shock would actually be kinda cool - you know, in an uber geeky way. :p
But wouldn't that require them to change their stance on the 'shock'?

The acronyms are mildly amusing - but honestly, about 90% of english acronyms in IT field sound incredibly silly/stupid in my native language, so I guess I've grown desensitized to the whole thing a long while ago.

WTF!

First Sony copies Nintendo's motion, then they go and name it after something coming out of our bodies also? (joke)

"Would you rather go Wii or Poos?"

Stupid, and because some can mistake it for just POS then its even more stupid than Nintendo with Wii.

What the hell is up with this marketing departments?

I don't know who first found the trademark application of the PS3 controller, but apparently he/she has little experience with the Japanese trademark database.

You can search Japanese trademarks from here
http://www.ipdl.ncipi.go.jp/Syouhyou/syouhyou.htm
and the said trademark for the PS3 controller is Trademark Application 2006-40965. It has 8 images, but all of them are just the drawings of the PS3 controller from different angles.

The trademark section is with the note "(for query)". What is actually written in there as "Trademark (for query)" is actually "§P∞S", not even "P∞S". How to pronounce the trademark is also registered, and it's the same as "PS", no infinity or whatever. So what do those '§' and '∞' mean in the context of the trademarks database? Apparently they are control characters.

To illustrate what those control characters mean we can browse other trademarks. For example H10-58610 by SCE has this image:

Its trademark for query is "§X∞I∞[sai]". '§' in the head means it's an image trademark, not a word trademark. So what does '∞' mean? I think it means it changes where characters are put in a trademark image. Another control character that appears in trademarks is '\', which means CR-LF.

Another question is, why the mere drawings of the PS3 controller have "§P∞S" as the query term. I think it's because the PS3 controller has a button with the PS symbol at the center of it. I can verify this theory since Trademark Application 2005-49788 is for the most famous PS symbol and its query term is also "§P∞S".

Basically, the party is over, we know nothing about the name of the PS3 controller yet :p

one said:
Basically, the party is over, we know nothing about the name of the PS3 controller yet :p

Darn, and I didn't even get to use my "This is Sony's way of saying Nintendo is #1 and Sony is #2" joke.

Whoa one, your investigation skills are amazing. I'm not trying to be funny either, no sarcasm in this post. Thanks for clearing that up.

Damn that's what's up 'one'. I will now post your info on other forums to spread the news. Obviously people aren't going to want to talk about this truth as much as the misleading news from earlier this week though.:cry:

Thanks you one. It didn't sound believable. Still PlayStation Infinity Shock has got potential, as Faf suggests. How's about replacing rumble with electric shocks? Would add a but more tension to getting shot or kiled in game :devilish:

Well I guess Sony could have used the acronym for "Playstation Infinity Shock" - PIS.

However I don't this would have been much better than "poos" and Sony would have been copying Nintendo again with Nintendo's "Wii" name.

This must be Sonys way of countering the "Wii60"..

"Its only with PS3/Wii that you get the Wii and the poo"..
:cool:

Back