NVidia kicks off 80nm Trials

Errm, didn't NV say somewhere recently that they weren't going to do 80nm for lower end parts? Guess that's not so.

geo said:
Errm, didn't NV say somewhere recently that they weren't going to do 80nm for lower end parts? Guess that's not so.

DigitTimes said:
Rival Nvidia, in response to ATI's earlier entry into 80nm production, stated that the company currently has no plans to migrate its GPU manufacturing to the 80nm node. Nvidia declined to comment on ATI's move and said that its manufacturing process technology roadmap and related strategies will be announced at the appropriate time.

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20060616A5021.html

Also, I'm sure nVidia is enjoying the competitive pricing from TSMC and UMC.

And the end of the 3rd quarter puts it in September, unless we're talking FY, which would be in Oct.

Reactions: Geo
geo said:
Yup and "nVidia is going to release a new high-end product in the end of 2006."

geo said:

I thought the exact wording was that NVIDIA wasn't going to put any current designs to 80 nm. I believe it would be quite silly for NV not to put a large chip like G80 on 80 nm, considering they would get a 15% smaller chip with the same switching performance.

Reactions: Geo
More:

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32833

ATI will be releasing 80nm parts this autumn, from both UMC and TSCM in its RV5x0 series of chips. It is unclear what percentage of production goes to UMC, but apparently it is well less than half. Nvidia is also using UMC as a secondary source, and already have limited 90nm production going on with that company.
UMC is setting itself up as a more price oriented supplier, and is not so keen on massaging every ounce of performance out of their processes. This means less R&D expenses, and in the end makes for a more cost effective product. If pure MHz performance is secondary to a design, then placing orders with UMC is a good business decision.
Lots more in the article.

Jawed

Back