Favorite youtube video

Elon specifically said his plans include going to mars. But I agree that mars doesn't look like it has much value for anyone. A horrible place according to wikipedia. Just like going to the moon didin't make any sense other than a "mine is bigger than yours" mentality that is always the case when the folks doing it are spending someone elses money ;)

Speaking of SpaceX...today I worked on a fancy engineered piece that goes into the Falcon....hehe. We get lots of SpaceX orders for exotic Falcon and Dragon parts.

Elon specifically said his plans include going to mars.
Yes, but that's not the same as going there FIRST. As costs for Apollo were quite astronomical just for sending three guys to the moon for five days, going to mars would be a wholly different ballpark. Mars is what, a two-monthish journey, each way? Plus you only get two shots a year at that length of travel time, which means staying months at a time at a semi-permanent base on the surface.

So it would take enormous resources to bring such a project together, far more I should think than SpaceX can amass.

A horrible place according to wikipedia.
The soil is strongly corrosive to organic (human) tissue from what I read in an online article, which means some fairly advanced decontamination procedures for space suits and whatnot will be needed, or else mars dust could get into astronauts' eyes and whatnot and cause injury... Sounds pretty hellish, yeah.

Just like going to the moon didin't make any sense other than a "mine is bigger than yours" mentality that is always the case when the folks doing it are spending someone elses money ;)
Bah, what a trite perspective on discovery and progress. Clearly the result of a limited mind. The thing is, we're wrecking this place. If we don't get off this mudball while we still can, we never will.

Yes, but that's not the same as going there FIRST. As costs for Apollo were quite astronomical just for sending three guys to the moon for five days, going to mars would be a wholly different ballpark. Mars is what, a two-monthish journey, each way? Plus you only get two shots a year at that length of travel time, which means staying months at a time at a semi-permanent base on the surface.

So it would take enormous resources to bring such a project together, far more I should think than SpaceX can amass.

The soil is strongly corrosive to organic (human) tissue from what I read in an online article, which means some fairly advanced decontamination procedures for space suits and whatnot will be needed, or else mars dust could get into astronauts' eyes and whatnot and cause injury... Sounds pretty hellish, yeah.

Bah, what a trite perspective on discovery and progress. Clearly the result of a limited mind. The thing is, we're wrecking this place. If we don't get off this mudball while we still can, we never will.

I say we are still a young species and rash so lets take advantage of it and send all sorts of extremophiles to mars to see what happens :)

Here's a video about the Curiosity Mars Rover, a 1-tonne, nuclear-powered probe set to land on august 6th, narrated by self-professed space (and gaming) geek Wil Wheaton.

W000000000t! Curiosity has landed! Effing AWESOME. Humanity rules, sometimes. :)

A nice, quick - if somewhat gobbledygook-loaded - overview of some of the capabilities of the science lab the Curiosity rover brings with it, which I also found via the Bad Astronomy blog.

Back