Favorite youtube video

Harray Poter is teh dev0l, teh dev0l!!!111 zomg..

Poor kiddies... we should ship the whale to some place where whales are hunted..

Last edited by a moderator:
Not my cup of tea either. And the sitar player (at least I think that's a sitar, behind the singer) doesn't look like he's doing much more than sitting there.
That's not a sitar. It's a tambura, and that's what he's supposed to do. Sitars are exclusive to Northern India, and aren't used in South Indian classical music. The tambura is strictly a background drone and it's used all the time (though we are able to replace it nowadays with a little electronic box that does the same function), which is partially why it's semi-iconic to the extent that it's almost always used as part of a backdrop soundscape in films with settings in India.

And actually, I was posting it as a positive counterpoint to the crap that does dominate the site, but you'd have to understand a thing or two about the theory to get it (and pretty much everyone in India does). He's not exactly someone I'd pose as an introductory figure to that style, because he's inclined to apply more complexity than most and he does it all on the spot. I find it strange that the guy who posted them has now marked them as private. Oh, well.

In any case, it's harder to find examples of simplicity when you look in that direction. I can't expect someone to watch a thani avarthanam video like ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJbiILmfuPc ) and catch on every last detail and calculation they're working out at that moment... and it's also hard to tell just by looking that they match up in the final korvai simply through intuition (not rehearsal, NEVER rehearsal).

And now for something completely different:
The Cosmos Series by Carl Sagan
It's not Youtube, but it is 13 hours of streaming video :)

I really enjoyed watching this series for the first time over the past week. I would take some of the history he presents with a grain of salt, as it is infused with his own personal opinions. But the science presented is excellent, and still highly relevant, despite being such an old series. After watching this series, it really makes me rather sad that he died right before the big boom in modern cosmology started. I would have loved to hear his special way with words applied to the tremendous advances in cosmology that we've had in the past 10 years.

Back